The largest study of its kind has found that organic foods and crops have a suite of advantages over their conventional counterparts, including more antioxidants and fewer, less frequent pesticide residues.
The study looked at an unprecedented 343 peer-reviewed publications comparing the nutritional quality and safety of organic and conventional plant-based foods, including fruits, vegetables and grains. The study team applied sophisticated meta-analysis techniques to quantify differences between organic and non-organic foods.
Most of the publications covered in the study looked at crops grown in the same area on similar soils. This approach reduces other possible sources of variation in nutritional and safety parameters.
The research team found the quality and reliability of comparison studies has greatly improved in recent years, leading to the discovery of significant nutritional and food safety differences not detected in earlier studies. For example, the new study incorporates the results of a research project led by WSU’s John Reganold that compared the nutritional and sensory quality of organic and conventional strawberries grown in California.
The Latest on: Organic farming
via Google News
The Latest on: Organic farming
- Mercaris Inks Global Redistribution Agreements for Organic Cash Priceson March 3, 2021 at 10:50 am
SILVER SPRING, Md., March 03, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Filling a need for enhanced insights and analysis, Mercaris announced today a series of agreements with key commodity market data providers to ...
- Ghosts of past pesticide use can haunt organic farms for decadeson March 3, 2021 at 9:10 am
Although the use of pesticides in agriculture is increasing, some farms have transitioned to organic practices and avoid applying them. But it's uncertain whether chemicals applied to land decades ago ...
- Scheme could increase organic farming by 30%on March 3, 2021 at 8:30 am
The reopening, is expected to result in an increase of up to 30% in the number of farmers farming organically in Ireland this year. Announcing the opening of the Scheme on Monday, Minister Hackett ...
- Organic farming will bridge gap between rural and urban pooron March 1, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Mr Chariton Namuwoza, the chief executive officer of the National Organic Agricultural Movement of Uganda. PHOTO | RAINHER OJON Organic products mainly exported to the European Union fetch about $51m ...
- NSW organic farmers call for more protection as state lifts ban on GM cropson March 1, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Organic farming representatives say a decision by the New South Wales government to lift a ban on genetically modified crops will hurt its thriving industry. NSW agriculture minister Adam Marshall ...
- Organic farming — The Need of the houron February 27, 2021 at 10:46 pm
An organic farming school was held on Friday at the organic farm of farmer Mahinder Singh at the Khanewal village under the (Agricultural Technology Management Agency) ATMA scheme. The school was held ...
- Adopt organic farming, beat debt trap: RSS chief Bhagwaton February 26, 2021 at 6:38 pm
HYDERABAD: Praising organic farming as a successful technique that saves farmers from debt trap and makes them self-reliant, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat, ...
- Sweetwater Organic Farm course teaches basics of raising chickenson February 26, 2021 at 2:04 am
If you've ever been interested in raising your own backyard chickens but aren't sure where to start, Town 'n Country's Sweetwater Organic Community Farm has you covered.
- Organic farming rids farmers of debt trap, makes them their own bosses: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwaton February 26, 2021 at 1:56 am
He said that farmers taking up modern farming techniques will continue to incur losses even if they receive MSP for their produce.
- The Giant Company steps up support of organic farmingon February 25, 2021 at 2:47 pm
The Giant Company has partnered with the Rodale Institute, a nonprofit focused on advancing organic farming, as part of efforts to promote more sustainable agriculture and retailing as well as reduce ...
via Bing News