Diapers choke landfills, and the icky sea creatures choke beaches and waterways. Cine’al has one solution for both problems
Cine’al Ltd., an Israeli nanotechnology start-up, is developing technology to turn jellyfish into “super-absorbers,” making the much-disdained sea creature suitable for use in diapers, tampons, medical sponges, even paper towels
Jellyfish have been the bane of Israeli beaches in recent years, as warmer ocean temperatures have made coastal waters more hospitable for the creatures. During spring and early summer, millions of them appear near beaches, shoot their poison into the water and make swimming next to impossible. Where jellyfish abound, the water is likely to be empty.
Unlike most sea creatures, jellyfish are mostly useless. Some species are eaten in the Far East and mucin, a chemical extracted from the creatures, is used in drug delivery systems. For the most part, they’re useless, even dangerous, pests, as jellyfish swarm not only near beaches, but near intake pipes as well, often clogging them up. This happened last November in Sweden, when jellyfish got into the pipes and clogged up the water intake systems of a nuclear power generator in Sweden, forcing it to shut down.
Cine’al sees a potential use for the scourge. Hydromash, the dry, flexible, strong material Cine’al is developing, is made from jellyfish and is allegedly several times more absorbent than the “quicker picker-upper” paper towels from the popular TV commercials.
Read more . . .
The Latest on: Jellyfish
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Jellyfish” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Jellyfish
- Purple flag in Galveston for jellyfish warningon June 9, 2023 at 4:11 am
Although it may seem unusual to see a purple flag at the beach, jellyfish and man-o-war are typically common in late summer along the Texas coast. Perhaps the warm water ...
- Incredible footage captures hundreds of jellyfish in the sea off Welsh beachon June 9, 2023 at 1:55 am
Stunning footage has captured a staggering number of jellyfish swimming in the sea off the Welsh coast. The incredible drone footage was captured by Simon Long and posted on the Lower Gower Community ...
- Man left reeling by enormous jellyfish discovery on UK beach ‘bigger than a car tyre’on June 9, 2023 at 1:17 am
The discovery was made by two tourists on a beach in Scotland where four massive jellyfish were found in total.
- Tourist shocked after finding jellyfish 'bigger than car tyre' on beachon June 8, 2023 at 8:51 am
Tate Tremayne came across the giant sea animal, believed to be a Barrel Jellyfish, on a beach in Portpatrick. A man was left “shocked” after finding a jellyfish bigger than a car tyre on a beach in ...
- Experts warn about clinging jellyfish in New Jersey: Here's everything you need to knowon June 8, 2023 at 7:27 am
Marine biologist Paul Bologna said the jellyfish aren’t found on beaches. They're more common in back bay areas.
- How 'Three-Gun' Wilson led Prohibition fight against bootleggers and jellyfish officialson June 8, 2023 at 1:58 am
Three-Gun' Wilson, a Prohibition agent, led the fight against bootleggers and jellyfish officials in Delaware. Here's how it all went down.
- Clinging jellyfish could be lurking at the Jersey shore, marine expert warnson June 7, 2023 at 3:48 pm
Here's a warning for those who prefer swimming in the back bays of the Jersey shore instead of the ocean. Marine experts say a dangerous sea creature could be hiding beneath the surface of the water - ...
- How to treat jellyfish stings: Urine not recommendedon June 7, 2023 at 11:40 am
If you have been stung by a jellyfish at the beach, you'll know how painful and unpleasant it can be. But how best to treat jellyfish stings has been debated over the years.
- How to treat jellyfish stings (hint: urine not recommended)on June 6, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Perhaps not surprisingly, there were no published trials looking at the effectiveness of urine as a treatment and so it’s not recommended. Remember, prevention is better than cure. Keep an eye on ...
- Dangerous clinging jellyfish found creeping in waters off Jersey Shoreon June 5, 2023 at 4:10 pm
Beachgoers in New Jersey will have to add clinging jellyfish to the things to be aware of when heading out for a day of sand, surf and sunshine this summer.
via Bing News