Scientists at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) have developed a scalable, next-generation platelet bioreactor to generate fully functional human platelets in vitro. The work is a major biomedical advancement that will help address blood transfusion needs worldwide.
The study is published July 21, 2014 in Blood.
“The ability to generate an alternative source of functional human platelets with virtually no disease transmission represents a paradigm shift in how we collect platelets that may allow us meet the growing need for blood transfusions,” said Jonathan Thon, PhD, Division of Hematology, BWH Department of Medicine, lead study author.
According to the researchers, more than 2.17 million platelet units from donors are transfused yearly in the United States to treat patients undergoing chemotherapy, organ transplantation and surgery, as well as for those needing blood transfusions following a major trauma. However, increasing demand; a limited five-day shelf-life; and risk of contamination, rejection and infection have made blood platelet shortages common.
“Bioreactor-derived platelets theoretically have several advantages over conventional, donor-derived platelets in terms of safety and resource utilization,” said William Savage, MD, PhD, medical director, Kraft Family Blood Donor Center at Dana Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women’s Hospital, who did not contribute to the study. “A major factor that has limited our ability to compare bioreactor platelets to donor platelets is the inefficiency of growing platelets, a problem that slows progress of clinical research. This study addresses that gap, while contributing to our understanding of platelet biology at the same time.”
The Latest on: Platelet bioreactor
via Google News
The Latest on: Platelet bioreactor
- Plasma Equipment Market Top Countries Data Analysis by Industry Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview by 2027 | Plasma Etch, Nordson, Keylinkon August 24, 2021 at 11:43 pm
The Plasma Equipment Market research report contains a detailed examination of business variables such as worldwide market size, technical advancements, and inventions. The Plasma Equipment market ...
- Spectroscopic label-free microscopy of changes in live cell chromatin and biochemical composition in transplantable organoidson August 19, 2021 at 10:53 am
Although three main existing approaches using forced aggregation, bioreactors, and micromolds can fulfill some subset of the requirements, none of them can satisfy all the requirements. It is possible ...
- CAREER: Tissue engineering hematopoietic trabecular bone marrowon August 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Every day, the human body’s pool of adult stem cells, termed hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), develop into nearly one trillion mature blood cells, including red blood cells, white blood cells, ...
- Stem Cell Therapy Repairs Injured Tendonson August 17, 2021 at 1:00 am
Moreover, the harvesting procedure is easier, faster, safer, and more reliable and with less morbidity to the donor site than harvesting bone marrow or platelet-rich plasma,” added De Francesco.
- Transplantation of Engineered Heart Tissue as a Biological Cardiac Assist Device for Treatment of Dilated Cardiomyopathyon July 27, 2021 at 4:59 pm
The present idea is to pre-seed a decellularized artery with autologous endothelial progenitor cells for some days of culture in a rotating bioreactor. Thereafter, this pre-cultivated vessel ...
- Turbulent French Press Bioreactor Makes Platelets from Stem Cellson July 24, 2021 at 4:59 pm
The bioreactor mimics the turbulence of normal blood flow using a French press design to encourage the megakaryocytes to form platelets on a clinically useful scale. The technique can produce ...
- Bioreactor Generates Plateletson July 8, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Blood-platelet shortages may become a thing of the past, according to scientists at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. The researchers have designed an industrial-strength bone marrow bioreactor ...
- The Intra-articular Injection of Stem Cells as Therapy for Articular Cartilage Repair - What is the Evidence?on August 12, 2020 at 11:19 pm
The implantation of stem cells in combination with biodegradable scaffolds, differentiation factors, cytokines, growth factors, surface modifiers, peptides or genes (with or without the use of ...
via Bing News