Global vegetable production currently depends on plastics: approximately 15 million hectares of agricultural land are covered under black horticultural plastics.
While alternatives to the plastic cover have been under development for several years, it is only now that a new biodegradable cover, suitable for both professional and subsistence farms, is entering the market.
The use of plastic covers in vegetable production is not only ecologically unsustainable; removing them from a field after the growing season is over is a laborious and expensive undertaking. Based on a method jointly developed by MTT Agrifood Research Finland and Stora Enso, a new paper-based biodegradable cover offers the market a real alternative to plastic covers.
Reflecting Finland’s bio-economic goals, the development of this cover and its introduction into practical farming is one of the first concrete steps towards a society based on the bio-economy. This project is underpinned by research and cross-enterprise collaboration dating back several years in which MTT has been engaged.
“We develop bio-economic solutions in collaboration with various enterprises. The innovations we develop will not be left collecting dust in cupboards. Our aim is that development and productisation will be carried out in a market-driven fashion from the very beginning. Both Stora Enso and MTT play key roles in in the development of biodegradable cover material dating back several years,” says Anu Harkki, MTT’s Research Director.
The Latest on: Replacement for plastics
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Replacement for plastics” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Replacement for plastics
- Replacement Batteries For The Sony Discmanon October 2, 2023 at 5:00 pm
After carefully measuring the dimensions of this battery, it was replicated in plastic with a 3D printer ... The end result is a direct, drop-in replacement for the original Discman battery ...
- 10 Best Ge Cafe Range Problemson October 1, 2023 at 1:16 am
Made from high quality stainless steel, it is resistant to wear and heat and is the perfect replacement for plastic knobs on ovens that have been deformed by heat. d-shaped openings are reinforced ...
- 3D Printering: Corrugated Plastic For Cheaper & Easier Enclosureson September 30, 2023 at 5:01 pm
Corrugated plastic material being 4 mm thick instead of 3 mm means it is not necessarily a drop-in replacement for acrylic in existing designs. But not every enclosure is constrained by panel ...
- Lego Is a Company Haunted by Its Own Plasticon September 30, 2023 at 6:00 am
While the toy brand kills its plans for an oil-free plastic alternative, it’s still pumping out billions of non-biodegradable bricks a year. Can Lego ever be sustainable?
- Investigating the role of greener plastics for Japan's carbon neutral goalson September 27, 2023 at 5:27 am
Researchers have investigated the potential in Japan for more sustainable plastic recycling and the market for bioplastics.
- How can the use of plastics in agriculture become more sustainable?on September 26, 2023 at 5:04 pm
New study on plastic in our food systems It is impossible to imagine modern agriculture without plastics. 12 million tonnes are used every year. But what ...
- Investigating the role of greener plastics for Japan's carbon neutral goalson September 26, 2023 at 2:16 pm
This research also considers the economic efficiency of carbon reduction via plastic recycling and bioplastic replacement, broadening the potential policy approaches which can be pursued by ...
- Lego's plan for eco-friendly bricks has fallen aparton September 25, 2023 at 12:01 pm
But while Lego’s PET project appears to have hit a significant hurdle, the company confirmed that a sustainable, sugarcane-derived version of polyethylene called bio-polypropylene made from sugarcane ...
- How can the use of plastics in agriculture become more sustainable?on September 25, 2023 at 11:46 am
Adopting these practices will foster more sustainable use of plastics in agriculture, according to the scientists. While a complete replacement of plastics is untenable at present, the judicious ...
- Lego drops plans to make bricks from recycled plastic bottleson September 25, 2023 at 4:43 am
Lego has abandoned plans to make its famous bricks from recycled plastic bottles, saying that the manufacturing process would be more polluting than the current production of oil-based bricks.
via Bing News