Global vegetable production currently depends on plastics: approximately 15 million hectares of agricultural land are covered under black horticultural plastics.
While alternatives to the plastic cover have been under development for several years, it is only now that a new biodegradable cover, suitable for both professional and subsistence farms, is entering the market.
The use of plastic covers in vegetable production is not only ecologically unsustainable; removing them from a field after the growing season is over is a laborious and expensive undertaking. Based on a method jointly developed by MTT Agrifood Research Finland and Stora Enso, a new paper-based biodegradable cover offers the market a real alternative to plastic covers.
Reflecting Finland’s bio-economic goals, the development of this cover and its introduction into practical farming is one of the first concrete steps towards a society based on the bio-economy. This project is underpinned by research and cross-enterprise collaboration dating back several years in which MTT has been engaged.
“We develop bio-economic solutions in collaboration with various enterprises. The innovations we develop will not be left collecting dust in cupboards. Our aim is that development and productisation will be carried out in a market-driven fashion from the very beginning. Both Stora Enso and MTT play key roles in in the development of biodegradable cover material dating back several years,” says Anu Harkki, MTT’s Research Director.
The Latest on: Replacement for plastics
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Replacement for plastics” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Replacement for plastics
- ‘This is the doing of a man’: Instacart customer ordered lemons. Her shopper delivered plastic oneson February 29, 2024 at 11:00 pm
“OK, so I ordered Instacart to get some groceries and I ordered some lemons. Right? Pretty easy.” Rose explains directly to the camera. “Nothing complicated about picking up some lemons. I guess they ...
- New legislation takes aim at plastic packagingon February 29, 2024 at 5:30 pm
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Plastic packaging is lightweight and cheap to make, but its impact on the environment has led to a new legislation aimed at reducing it altogether. Though it is engineered to be ...
- Trying to Use Less Plastic? These Sustainable & Eco-Friendly Products Are Must-Have Essentialson February 29, 2024 at 6:07 am
Ditch the plastic bottles of liquid soap, because all you need is this hand soap set. It comes with a glass bottle that you can refill, and four hand soap tablets scented in peppermint, lavender, ...
- NSW, Victoria ‘laggards’ as WA races ahead in banning plastic coffee cupson February 29, 2024 at 5:24 am
While Western Australian imposed a ban on single-use coffee cups on Friday, eastern states are being accused of dragging their feet on reducing plastic waste.
- A How-To Guide for Car Antenna Replacementon February 29, 2024 at 12:21 am
That problem goes back as far as car radios and marauding teenagers. The two most common styles are “pillar mounts,” which slide in and out of the top of door pillars, and “fixed masts,” ...
- Plastic makers lied about recycling for decades. What do we do next?on February 28, 2024 at 7:00 am
For decades, plastic producers knowingly misled the public about the feasibility of plastic recycling, according to a recent study by the Center for Climate Integrity. The non-profit’s report details ...
- Growing Demand for Lightweight and Durable Materials is Driving the Global Metal Replacement Market | Future Market Insights, Inc.on February 28, 2024 at 6:29 am
The global metal replacement market size reached US$ 194.7 billion in 2024. It is projected to reach a value of US$ 489.0 billion by 2034, growing at a CAGR of 9.6 % .The metal replacement market is ...
- Recycling Doesn’t Work—and the Plastics Industry Knew Iton February 26, 2024 at 3:00 am
Hardly any plastics can be recycled. You’d be forgiven for not knowing that, given how much messaging Americans receive about the convenience of recycling old bottles and food containers—from the ...
- Exactech Hip & Knee Replacement Lawsuit Guide (February 2024 Update)on February 22, 2024 at 4:35 am
Exactech lawsuits are being filed against a medical device manufacturer in Gainesville, Florida. The cases are arising from problems with the company's knee, hip and ankle replacement devices More ...
- Ankle replacement surgery: What to expecton February 19, 2024 at 4:00 pm
A surgeon inserts plastic between the two metal parts and uses screws to stabilize the joint. A person may be a good candidate for ankle replacement surgery if they have advanced arthritis and ...
via Bing News