For the first time ever scientists have managed to use the Sun’s rays to create the same energy that is currently produced in coal or gas-fired power stations.
The breakthrough in Australia means one day the Sun could compete with fossil fuels to provide our energy needs.
Using solar energy, scientists have reached temperatures and pressures never before achieved to create “supercritical steam”.
“It’s like breaking the sound barrier,” said Dr Alex Wonhas from Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).
“Instead of relying on burning fossil fuels to produce supercritical steam, this breakthrough demonstrates that the power plants of the future could instead be using the free, zero-emission energy of the Sun to achieve the same result.”
The Latest on: Solar Breakthrough
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Solar Breakthrough” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar Breakthrough
- Tyneside's Solar Solve acquired by South East marine instrumentation specialiston December 6, 2022 at 6:15 am
Marine and airport sunscreen manufacturer Solar Solve has been acquired by Surrey-based Rivertrace Limited in an undisclosed deal. The South Shields-based family business, which has been operating ...
- Israeli-backed Breakthrough Listen expands search for alien lifeon December 3, 2022 at 11:38 pm
The search for alien life throughout the universe has just gotten bigger as the Breakthrough Listen project, backed by Israeli billionaire Yuri Milner, is set to make use of the MeerKAT radio ...
- HYPADEC boss tackles critics, lists commissions breakthroughon December 2, 2022 at 4:27 pm
He explained that as part of the primary functions of the commission, HYPADEC distributed fertilizers at sixty percent discount to 1,810 communities in addition to that, relief materials were also ...
- U.S. to expand solar panel tariffs after probe finds Chinese evasionon December 2, 2022 at 10:09 am
Russian forces tried to advance in eastern Ukraine and trained tank, mortar and artillery fire on Kherson in the south, the Ukrainian military said, as heavy fighting continues nine months into the ...
- Breakthrough Therapies Act: Good idea, wrong solutionon December 2, 2022 at 4:26 am
The Breakthrough Therapies Act, recently proposed by Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Cory Booker (D-N.J.) as a way to expand access for therapeutic purposes to potentially beneficial but highly ...
- When Will the Left Condemn Solar-Energy Slavery?on December 2, 2022 at 2:30 am
A report finds that a shocking percentage of the world’s production of the silicon used for solar panels occurs in areas of China known to employ slave labor.
- Alzheimer’s breakthrough could be ‘beginning of the end’: drug studyon November 30, 2022 at 10:34 pm
Alzheimer’s disease could soon be a distant memory. A revolutionary new Alzheimer’s drug named lecanemab could mark a major breakthrough in the decades-long battle against the neurological ...
- EU trade deal in focus after ‘breakthrough’ over foodon November 30, 2022 at 8:28 pm
EU’s new ambassador says Australian negotiators have recognised there is value in the use of geographical indicators to protect food and drink. Follow updates here.
- Scientists beef up search for alien life with powerful new supercomputeron November 30, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Breakthrough Listen currently does this by ... Among its initial targets will be the closest star to our Solar System, Proxima Centauri, which astronomers believe may be orbited by potentially ...
- Forced Uyghur labor is being used in China's solar panel supply chain, researchers sayon November 30, 2022 at 1:47 pm
A Breakthrough Institute study says that Xinjiang-based solar manufacturers using forced Uyghur labor threatens to hurt the global solar industry.
via Bing News