For the first time ever scientists have managed to use the Sun’s rays to create the same energy that is currently produced in coal or gas-fired power stations.
The breakthrough in Australia means one day the Sun could compete with fossil fuels to provide our energy needs.
Using solar energy, scientists have reached temperatures and pressures never before achieved to create “supercritical steam”.
“It’s like breaking the sound barrier,” said Dr Alex Wonhas from Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).
“Instead of relying on burning fossil fuels to produce supercritical steam, this breakthrough demonstrates that the power plants of the future could instead be using the free, zero-emission energy of the Sun to achieve the same result.”
The Latest on: Solar Breakthrough
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Solar Breakthrough” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar Breakthrough
- MIT Scientists Invent Cheap Solar Panels That Can be Printed Like Newspaperon December 5, 2023 at 2:46 am
Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have made a significant breakthrough in solar technology by creating ultra-thin solar ...
- COP28 summit in Dubai makes breakthrough over renewable fuels but there is a catchon December 3, 2023 at 10:53 am
The US Vice President Kamala Harris announced a $3 billion contribution to a fund aiding developing countries in energy transition and climate change impacts ...
- What's The Next Great Technological Breakthrough After AI?on December 3, 2023 at 12:58 am
Artificial intelligence (AI) has been one of the most significant technological advancements of the 21st century. However, as innovative as AI is, its potential is still being explored and developed.
- Solar Energy Newson December 2, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Pivotal Breakthrough in Adapting Perovskite Solar Cells for Renewable Energy Oct. 20, 2023 — A huge step forward in the evolution of perovskite solar cells will have significant implications for ...
- Hydrogen Power Breakthrough: The HYFLEXPOWER Projecton November 28, 2023 at 5:32 am
A major breakthrough in hydrogen power that could open up a whole new world of possibilities was recently announced by a European consortium after successfully testing a gas turbine capable of running ...
- 3D interconnects enable PV breakthroughon November 28, 2023 at 3:01 am
These III-V/Ge triple-junction micro solar cells are said to have significant advantages over conventional solar technologies, reducing electrode-induced shadowing by 95 percent and potentially ...
- Researchers unveil robotic technology that could revolutionize how we use solar energy: ‘Machine learning has been very helpful’on November 27, 2023 at 2:00 pm
“In recent years, machine learning has been very helpful in better understanding the properties of materials. These studies require vast amounts of experimental data, and combining automated ...
- AI breakthrough could help us build solar panels out of ‘miracle material’, scientists sayon November 24, 2023 at 11:04 am
Now scientists have successfully built a new system that uses artificial intelligence to try and work out how to build those layers better. Instead of picking through video recordings to work out how ...
- Revolutionary breakthrough in the manufacture of photovoltaic cellson November 23, 2023 at 5:37 am
Engineers have achieved a world first by manufacturing the first back-contact micrometric photovoltaic cells. The University of Ottawa, together with national and international partners, has achieved ...
via Bing News