For the first time ever scientists have managed to use the Sun’s rays to create the same energy that is currently produced in coal or gas-fired power stations.
The breakthrough in Australia means one day the Sun could compete with fossil fuels to provide our energy needs.
Using solar energy, scientists have reached temperatures and pressures never before achieved to create “supercritical steam”.
“It’s like breaking the sound barrier,” said Dr Alex Wonhas from Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).
“Instead of relying on burning fossil fuels to produce supercritical steam, this breakthrough demonstrates that the power plants of the future could instead be using the free, zero-emission energy of the Sun to achieve the same result.”
The Latest on: Solar Breakthrough
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar Breakthrough
- Japanese boffins build solar-powered, remote-controlled cyborg cockroachon September 22, 2022 at 12:17 pm
A research breakthrough in Japan could mean future search and rescue missions are conducted using cyborg cockroaches. What's more, an ultra-thin solar film is the real star of this show. The ...
- New Breakthrough in Zero-Energy Technology Keeps Things Cool, With No Electricity Requiredon September 22, 2022 at 10:47 am
This zero-energy technology may soon replace conventional cooling technologies, offering an alternative that requires only water to function.
- Researchers develop breakthrough cooling system that does not use any electricityon September 22, 2022 at 6:29 am
The technology could keep food cool in humid and dry conditions – only requiring a small amount of water to work ...
- Japanese researchers develop solar cell 'backpacks' for controllable cyborg cockroacheson September 22, 2022 at 12:36 am
If an earthquake strikes in the not too distant future and survivors are trapped under tonnes of rubble, the first responders to locate them could be swarms of cyborg cockroaches.
- Japanese researchers develop solar cell 'backpacks' to create controllable cyborg cockroacheson September 21, 2022 at 7:00 pm
A team of Japanese researchers have demonstrated the ability to mount "backpacks" of solar cells and electronics on cockroaches and control their motion via remote control.
- The world’s first Tesla solar neighborhood is becoming realityon September 21, 2022 at 1:22 pm
The world's first Tesla solar neighborhood is becoming a reality in Austin, Texas, where Tesla is deploying solar roofs and Powerwall.
- 'First of six' | Israeli developer Kenlov scores breakthrough US solar power purchase dealon September 21, 2022 at 10:54 am
PPA with municipal utility CPS Energy covers 60% of Tierra Bonita project in Texas, the largest in the developer's nearly 1.5GW pipeline ...
- Organic Solar Cell Breakthrough Improves Performance And Stabilityon September 20, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Until now a lack of morphology control of the active layer made it challenging to develop organic solar cells (OSCs) with large active areas. OSCs, which use organic polymers to convert sunlight ...
- Organic Solar Cell Breakthrough Improves Performance And Stabilityon September 20, 2022 at 12:00 pm
A breakthrough from scientists at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology helps improve the performance and stability of large-area organic solar cells ...
- This invention may be able to supercharge solar energyon September 17, 2022 at 10:54 am
A new innovation by a group of Stanford researchers may hold the key to supercharging solar panels without the use of moving parts. Could this be the invention that powers our renewable future?
via Bing News