Washington State University researchers have developed the first fuel cell that can directly convert fuels, such as jet fuel or gasoline, to electricity, providing a dramatically more energy-efficient way to create electric power for planes or cars.
The process could be approximately four times more efficient than a combustion engine because it is based on an electrochemical reaction.
The researchers also have used gasoline to power their fuel cell and envision someday using it to power cars. Vehicles powered in this way could use existing gas stations, rather than having to develop a hydrogen-based infrastructure.
The Latest on: Fuel cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Fuel cells
- GM and Liebherr-Aerospace Partner for On-board Hydrogen Fuel Cell Power Systemon June 18, 2021 at 9:07 am
General Motors and Liebherr-Aerospace signed a joint development agreement covering the buildout of an electrical power generation system.
- Global Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Bloom Energy, CMR Prototech and Eclogen Among Otherson June 18, 2021 at 5:03 am
The "Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Market - Forecasts from 2021 to 2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The solid oxide fuel cell market is projected to have a compound annual ...
- GM and Liebherr to develop HYDROTEC fuel-cell-based electrical power generation system for aircrafton June 18, 2021 at 2:44 am
General Motors and Liebherr-Aerospace will join forces to develop a hydrogen fuel cell power generation demonstrator system for aircraft. The two companies will explore possiblities to develop an ...
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles: If It Moves, GM Will Build Hydrogen Fuel Cellson June 17, 2021 at 7:33 pm
GM wants to put hydrogen fuel cells in airplanes. For starters, to replace the auxiliary power unit that provides power on the ground. But one day, fuel cells m ...
- BMW starts European road tests of hydrogen fuel cell carson June 17, 2021 at 1:57 pm
The BMW Group has started to test vehicles that use a hydrogen fuel cell drivetrain, with the German automotive giant putting the technology through its paces “in everyday conditions on European roads ...
- Honda Clarity Fuel-Cell and PHEV Models to End Production Soonon June 17, 2021 at 9:33 am
Honda already killed off the Clarity EV, and now the plug-in-hybrid and hydrogen-powered versions will disappear as well.
- GM's Ultium battery and fuel-cell tech to power trainson June 17, 2021 at 8:00 am
GM's advanced Ultium battery technology will power a sprawling range of electric vehicles, from high-end trucks and luxury SUVs to family-friendly crossovers, a flagship-caliber luxury sedan and even ...
- Honda Discontinues Its Clarity Fuel Cell Vehicleon June 17, 2021 at 7:52 am
Honda is stopping production of its hydrogen car, the Clarity due to slow sales. The Japanese publication Nikkei first reported it. U.S. Honda officials told Autoweek that even though Clarity ...
- GM to boost EV battery, fuel cell spending by 75% due to rising demandon June 16, 2021 at 8:15 am
General Motors announced Wednesday a plan to spend $35 billion over the next five years to develop electric and automated vehicle technologies.
- GM Hikes Spending $35 Billion On EVs, Battery Plants, Self-Driving And Fuel Cellson June 16, 2021 at 8:02 am
GM will spend an additional $35 billion by 2025 to be a player in EVs, self-driving vehicles and fuel cells. CEO Mary Barry says GM will sell 1 million EVs by 2 ...
via Bing News