With a near record-setting investment announced last week, the ride-sharing service Uber is the hottest, most valuable technology start-up on the planet. It is also one of the most controversial.
The company, which has been the target of protests across Europe this week, has been accused of a reckless attitude toward safety, of price-gouging its customers, of putting existing cabbies out of work and of evading regulation. And it has been called trivial. In The New Yorker last year, George Packer huffed that Uber typified Silicon Valley’s new found focus on “solving all the problems of being 20 years old, with cash on hand.”
It is impossible to say whether Uber is worth the $17 billion its investors believe it to be; like any start-up, it could fail. But for all its flaws, Uber is anything but trivial. It could well transform transportation the way Amazon has altered shopping — by using slick, user-friendly software and mountains of data to completely reshape an existing market, ultimately making many modes of urban transportation cheaper, more flexible and more widely accessible to people across the income spectrum.
The Latest on: Ride-sharing
via Google News
The Latest on: Ride-sharing
- Analyzing ride-share safety practices after man struck on I-83 Baltimore dieson September 24, 2021 at 7:35 pm
A man struck early Friday morning on Interstate 83 died, Maryland State Police said. Police said he got out of a ride-sharing vehicle early Friday morning after assaulting the driver. Sign up for our ...
- Police: Man struck and killed overnight on I-83 shortly after ride share altercationon September 24, 2021 at 6:07 am
An investigation is underway after a pedestrian was struck and killed overnight Friday on I-83 in Baltimore County.
- Ride-Hailing Industry Size And Recent Trends By Forecast To 2027 | Uber, Lyft, Gett, Hailo, Ola Cabson September 24, 2021 at 3:04 am
The new study on the Global Ride-Hailing Market 2021-2027 analyzes the crucial capabilities, key infrastructures, major organizations, evaluates measures to attain potential success in the ...
- Aurora wants to power self-driving ride-share vehicles, and it’s testing them in Dallason September 23, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Self-driving vehicle startup Aurora will soon begin testing its modified Toyota Sienna’s on Dallas roadways – but don’t expect to see driverless Uber ...
- Ride Sharing Market to Reach USD 185.1 billion by 2026on September 23, 2021 at 8:04 am
Increase in urbanization internet and smartphone penetration is expected to drive the ride sharing market during the forecast period The global ride sharing market is projected to grow from USD 85 8 ...
- Brightline restarting in November, debuts ride-share serviceon September 23, 2021 at 7:34 am
BRIGHTLINE WILL BE REOPENING IN A NOVEMBE IRN THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY TELLS ME THEY ARE DEBUTING A NEW RIDE SHARE OPTION THAT WILL GET YOU FROM YOUR HEOM TO THE STATION AND THEN TO YOUR ...
- Katy Perry stuns in red swimsuit before sharing clip of motorbike ride with fiancé Orlando Bloomon September 23, 2021 at 6:56 am
Katy Perry, 36, has shared a series of tropical snaps of her time spent on the beautiful Hawaiian island of Kauai.
- Lordstown Motors Corp. (NASDAQ: RIDE) Continues To Thrive In 2021, As Its Stock Is Down -65.90% Year-To-Dateon September 23, 2021 at 6:37 am
During the last session, Lordstown Motors Corp. (NASDAQ:RIDE)’s traded shares were 4.07 million. At the end of the trading day, the stock’s price was $6.84, reflecting an intraday loss of -0.44% or ...
- GOL partners with Avolon to create eVTOL ride sharing platform in Brazilon September 23, 2021 at 5:48 am
GOL and Avolon will collaborate to identify local partners, infrastructure and certification requirements, with the aim to launch an eVTOL ride sharing platform.
- China Ride-Sharing Platform DiDi Plunges 6.6% On Report President Jean Liu Plans To Departon September 20, 2021 at 4:35 pm
Shares in China ride-sharing app DiDi Global plunged 6.6% in New York Stock Exchange trade on Monday following a Reuters report that President Jean Liu plans to leave the company and expects the ...
via Bing News