Artist Mark Rademaker has unveiled a set of concept images imagining what a spaceship capable of traveling to other stars in a matter of months would really look like.
Although it may look like something from the next science fiction epic and is unlikely to lift off anytime soon, his IXS Enterprise design is actually based on some hard science.
Interstellar travel is one of the most frustrating buzzkills of the space age. Since launched in 1977, the Voyager 1 spacecraft has traveled about 116 astronomical units (1.08 x 1010 mi, 1.7 x 1010 km). At that speed, it would take about 75,000 years for it to travel to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, 4.3 light years from Earth – and it isn’t even going in the right direction.
Science fiction is filled with stories where this annoying limit is avoided by equipping spaceships with warp drives, hyperdrives, and infinite improbability drives. According to current physics, those are pure fantasy because the speed of light can’t be exceeded. This isn’t like the sound barrier that just needed good engineering to overcome. It’s sewn into the very manner in which the universe is stitched together. However, some scientists believe that there is a way around that iron-clad limit.
The Latest on: Warp-drive ship
via Google News
The Latest on: Warp-drive ship
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Didn't Know About Warp Driveon October 14, 2021 at 3:34 am
Warp Drive is powered by Antimatter and Matter, combined with Dilithium Crystals. These crystals were nonreactive with antimatter when exposed to high-frequency electromagnetic fields. This process ...
- Space sci-fi point and click adventure Warp Frontier releases for Linux in Novemberon October 13, 2021 at 4:24 am
Developed Brawsome emailed to note that their space sci-fi adventure Warp Frontier will be releasing for Linux (and macOS) in November following the Windows release in late September.
- Star Trek: Discovery season 4: everything we knowon October 11, 2021 at 9:24 am
Discovery season 4 will warp onto Paramount Plus on November 18, 2021, and a new trailer has dropped as the date gets closer. With Michael Burnham now installed as the captain of the ship – the ...
- Star Trek: 10 Secrets Of The USS Kelvin You Need To Knowon October 5, 2021 at 9:28 am
Star Trek approached and further marketing material was released, Intel published a promotional website dedicated to the USS Kelvin in November of 2008. The now long-defunct boldblygo.intel.com ...
- ‘Operation Warp Speed’ could be applied to treat other diseaseson October 2, 2021 at 3:34 pm
With a program coined “Operation Warp Speed,” HHS leveraged innovation, powerful partnerships, and our country’s resources like never before. By doing so, many innovative drug companies ...
- Mirth on the Oriental Expresson September 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm
But travelling between Tokyo and Hiroshima at warp-factor two ... world arrive in Hiroshima every month to encourage the city's drive for world peace. I told my guide in Tokyo about the Peace ...
- Most States Aren’t Ready to Distribute the Leading COVID-19 Vaccineon September 25, 2021 at 2:00 am
The Pfizer vaccine is unusually difficult to ship and store: It is administered ... The government’s vaccine program, Operation Warp Speed, has projected optimism about its readiness to ...
- Hull's most historic pubs that serve pints in a time warpon September 20, 2021 at 2:06 am
A live Irish band would regularly perform there as entertainment for customers. This boozer was named after a ship that was believed to have been the first ship to enter Hull's dock, named the HMS ...
- Time Warp Tournament Grand Finale: 1990son September 16, 2021 at 4:59 pm
- West Vancouver student video explains how we could warp to Alpha Centaurion September 14, 2021 at 11:55 am
Holden Liu, a 16-year-old West Vancouver student, explains how we could reach Alpha Centauri using the Alcubierre warp drive.Youtube capture ... of physics and get a ship moving at the speed ...
via Bing News