“Solar energy systems can satisfy much more of our hunger for electricity, at not much more cost than what we currently have,”
Concentrating solar power (CSP) could supply a large fraction of the power supply in a decarbonized energy system, shows a new study of the technology and its potential practical application.
Concentrating solar power (CSP) could supply a substantial amount of current energy demand, according to the study published in the journal Nature Climate Change. In the Mediterranean region, for example, the study shows that a connected CSP system could provide 70-80% of current electricity demand, at no extra cost compared to gas-fired power plants. That percentage is similar to what a standard energy production plant, such as a nuclear plant, can provide.
“Solar energy systems can satisfy much more of our hunger for electricity, at not much more cost than what we currently have,” says Stefan Pfenninger, who led the study while working at IIASA. He is now a Research Postgraduate at the Grantham Institute at Imperial College London.
The study was the first to examine the potential of CSP as a large-scale energy production system, in four regions around the world. “In order to address climate change we need to greatly expand our use of renewable energy systems,” says IIASA researcher Fabian Wagner, who also worked on the study. “The key question, though, is how much energy renewable systems can actually deliver.”
The Latest on: Concentrating solar power
via Google News
The Latest on: Concentrating solar power
- Vast Solar plan for solar power in Mount Isaon June 15, 2021 at 9:05 pm
A concentrated solar thermal power (CSP) solution will deliver low-cost renewable energy to Mount Isa, the MineX exhibition heard last week. Lachie Roberts, ...
- Heliogen Raises $108 Million to Advance New Non-Intermittent Renewable Energy Technology for Heat, Power, and Green Hydrogenon June 15, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Press Release Heliogen, the renewable energy technology company unlocking the power of sunlight to replace fossil fuels, today announced that it has raised $108 million in two funding rounds to ...
- Heliogen Gets $108M For Concentrated Solaron June 15, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Pasadena-based Heliogen, which is deeloping concentrated solar power technology, has raised $108M in two funding rounds, the company said on Tuesday. The company--which already has backing from Bill ...
- Macquarie invests in Spanish solar power portfolioon June 15, 2021 at 1:43 am
Macquarie Asset Management invested in the concentrated solar power portfolio on behalf of its institutional clients. Australian investment bank Macquarie Asset Management has made a €90m ($109m) debt ...
- Phase V of Dubai solar park to take shape before Phase IVon June 14, 2021 at 6:12 am
Utility DEWA has announced the first 300 MW of the fifth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park will be commissioned next month, with the first stage of the fourth phase due to arrive ...
- Macquarie closes €90 million debt investment in Spanish concentrated solar power portfolioon June 13, 2021 at 10:36 pm
Macquarie Asset Management has today announced a €90 million debt investment in a portfolio of concentrated solar power (CSP) plants in ...
- Shanghai Electric Makes Significant Progress on the CSP Tower and Parabolic Trough Plant in Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Parkon June 11, 2021 at 11:41 am
Shanghai Electric ("Shanghai Electric" or "the Company") (601727.SS and 02727.HK) announced that the first molten salt tank hydro test for the Parabolic Trough Plant-II (PT2) of the fourth phase of ...
- Cerro Dominador concentrated solar power plant inaugurated in Chileon June 9, 2021 at 3:39 am
The concentrated solar power plant, built by a consortium formed by Abengoa and Acciona for EIG Global Energy Partners, has a capacity of 110 MW and is the first of its kind built in Latin America.
- EIG-Owned Cerro Dominador Inaugurates Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Plant in Chileon June 8, 2021 at 1:30 pm
EIG, a leading institutional investor to the global energy sector and one of the world’s leading infrastructure investors, today announced the inaugur ...
- Concentrated Solar Power Market Latest Industry Trends, Growth, Share, Size and 2028 Forecast Research Report, Fortune Business Insightson June 8, 2021 at 3:26 am
According to the report, the Concentrated Solar Power Market size is projected to reachUSD 90.02 billionby 2027.
via Bing News