Engineers at Stanford University are hoping that an emerging technology could someday be used to treat diseases in an entirely different way.
The engineers say the breakthrough started with the challenge of miniaturizing a small pacemaker. And for Stanford professor Ada Poon, Ph.D., it’s just part of a bigger plan to fight disease, by changing the way we think about electricity.
“We came up with a new way to wirelessly power tiny medical devices that could be placed very deep inside the body,” Poon said.
To charge those tiny devices without batteries, the Stanford team began experimenting with a new way to project electricity safely into the human body. The system they came up with employs electromagnetic waves similar to those used to power an electric toothbrush.
But researcher John Ho says once the waves enter the body, they begin a kind of natural acceleration.
“Taking advantage of the simple fact that properties of waves change as they move from one type of material to another,” Ho said. “These near field waves are converted into propagating waves. And they travel much farther than they would otherwise.”
Several inches into the body, in fact — deep enough to reach the miniaturized pacemaker and power it.
“We demonstrated we can blend the safety of the near field with the propagation of the far field,” Poon said.
Powering a new generation of miniaturized devices would be a medical breakthrough in itself. But the Stanford team believes their system has the potential to do much more, like treating disease with electricity.
The Latest on: Bioelectronics
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bioelectronics” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Bioelectronics
- Popular vitamin people take for ‘anti-aging’ may cause brain canceron November 21, 2022 at 12:44 pm
A new study claims that a popular anti-aging supplement may come with some unfortunate side effects and increase cancer risks.
- Bioelectric bacteria-powered sensor detects water contaminants in real timeon November 21, 2022 at 1:30 am
Synthetic biology has been combined with electrical engineering to create a small bioelectric sensor that can sense water contaminants in just minutes. The sensor is currently at the prototype stage ...
- Bioelectronics Market 2022 : Statistics, Share Price, Growth Prospects, Industry Trends till 2028on November 20, 2022 at 7:29 pm
Bioelectronics Market Size is projected to Reach Multimillion USD by 2028, In comparison to 2021, at unexpected CAGR ...
- Transforming bacterial cells into living artificial neural circuitson November 14, 2022 at 7:50 am
Bringing together concepts from electrical engineering and bioengineering tools, Technion and MIT scientists collaborated to produce cells engineered to compute sophisticated functions—"biocomputers" ...
- Bioelectronics Market Size 2022 | Share, Opportunities Assessment, Development Status, with Top Manufacturers, And CAGR of 15.1% | no of page 124on November 14, 2022 at 4:00 am
In the “Bioelectronics” Market Size 2022 | No. of Pages: 124 Furthermore, research categorizes the global Bioelectronics market by top players/brands, region, type and end user, including ...
- Popular dietary supplement can cause cancer: Researchon November 13, 2022 at 1:07 am
Once cancer reaches the brain, the results are deadly because no viable treatment options exist at this time, said Goun, who is the corresponding author of the study that was published in the journal ...
- Sensing platform for studying in vitro vascular systems opens possibilities for drug testingon November 8, 2022 at 6:36 am
The costliness of drug development and the limitations of studying physiological processes in the lab are two separate scientific issues that may share the same solution.
- Bioelectronics Market Size with SWOT Analysis is Likely to Accelerate Industry Growth in Electronics & Semiconductoron October 31, 2022 at 5:43 pm
The Global Bioelectronics market is expected to growth at a significant rate during the forecast period, between 2022 and 2028. In 2022, the market is growing at a stable rate and with the ...
- Rising Trends of Bioelectronics Engineering Market Valuable Business Insights, Industry Trends, and Projection by 2030on October 26, 2022 at 6:36 am
In a Currently published report by Stratagem Market Insights, titled “Global Bioelectronics Engineering Market Size, Manufacturers, Supply Chain, Sales Channel and Clients, 2022-2030″, the ...
- Research Directions: Bioelectronicson August 21, 2022 at 1:48 am
Watch Dr. Samit Chakrabarty share the proudest moment in his career so far, the field of bioelectronics and the benefits of the question-led approach for Research Directions.
via Bing News