Fast-acting ketamine by-product – may be future therapy for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s
There is new hope for people suffering from depression. Researchers have identified a compound, hydroxynorketamine (HNK), that may treat symptoms of depression just as effectively and rapidly as ketamine, without the unwanted side effects associated with the psychoactive drug, according to a study in the July issue of Anesthesiology, the official medical journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists® (ASA®). Interestingly, use of HNK may also serve as a future therapeutic approach for treating neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, the authors note.
“The clinical use of ketamine therapy for depression is limited because the drug is administered intravenously and may produce adverse effects such as hallucinations and sedation to the point of anesthesia,” said Irving Wainer, Ph.D., senior investigator with the Intramural Research Program at the National Institute on Aging, Baltimore. “We found that the HNK compound significantly contributes to the anti-depressive effects of ketamine in animals, but doesn’t produce the sedation or anesthesia, which makes HNK an attractive alternative as an antidepressant in humans.”
The Latest on: Depression
via Google News
The Latest on: Depression
- From Shah Rukh Khan to Deepika Padukone: Bollywood stars who fought depression, anxietyon August 5, 2022 at 9:40 am
Mental health issues can crop up no matter who you are ...
- 'I Was Suicidal at Times': Deepika Padukone on Battling Depressionon August 5, 2022 at 7:24 am
Actor Deepika Padukone once again opened up on battling with months-long depression, at a recent event on Thursday. The actor spoke about how she overcame the many obstacles that came her way, ...
- Deepika Padukone reveals 'I was suicidal at times' as she recalls battling depressionon August 5, 2022 at 4:52 am
Deepika Padukone has recalled the time she battled with depression. "I was suicidal at times," she said. A few years ago, Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone put up a brave front and spoke about her ...
- World Breastfeeding Week: Does Postpartum Depression Affect Breastfeeding?on August 5, 2022 at 4:33 am
Postpartum depression in new moms can affect their breastfeeding. Read this article as expert explains the psychological needs of mothers.
- Recession Or Mental Depression?on August 4, 2022 at 9:48 pm
Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.” -Ronald Reagan. So far, 2022 has been a volatile year in the fi ...
- Did we all believe a myth about depression?on August 4, 2022 at 5:19 pm
A study some claim debunks antidepressants has gone viral. Was it read wrong?
- What causes depression? Not low serotonin levels, says new studyon August 4, 2022 at 7:35 am
Low serotonin levels in the brain are commonly thought to cause depression. But science shows the neurotransmitter has little to do with it. What gives?
- 6 Brutal Truths About Depression Doctors Won't Tell Youon August 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
RELATED: 10 Agonizing Truths Depressed People Never Talk About. Here are six depression side effects you may not know: 1. Depression can strike suddenly and without any warning. Y ...
- What a new study on depression does – and does not – tell us about antidepressants and serotoninon July 31, 2022 at 10:46 pm
One of the lead authors of a study that challenged long-held beliefs about depression speaks to Graig Graziosi about the implications of the research and mixed reactions it’s drawn from the public ...
- Is the Lens for Discovering Depression Overly Narrow?on July 31, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Cardiology's lens broadened when the data on women started coming in. And the symptom picture they responded to changed as a result. Psychology needs to take note, as we can easily make a similar ...
via Bing News