Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory researchers have developed a new and more efficient approach to a challenging problem in additive manufacturing — using selective laser melting, namely, the selection of appropriate process parameters that result in parts with desired properties.
Selective laser melting (SLM) is a powder-based, additive manufacturing process where a 3D part is produced, layer by layer, using a high-energy laser beam to fuse the metal powder particles. Some SLM applications require parts that are very dense, with less than 1 percent porosity, as the pores or voids are the weakest part of the material and most likely would result in failure.
But building functional parts and components to specific standards and performance specifications can be challenging because a large number of parameters must be set appropriately. Some of the key parameters include laser power, laser speed, distance between laser scan lines, scanning strategy and powder layer thickness. As a result, there is a need for a reliable and cost-effective approach to determine the right parameters to develop parts with such desired properties as high density.
LLNL researchers have developed an efficient approach, based on simple simulations and experiments, to identify optimal parameters to print 3D high-density metal parts.
The Latest on: Additive manufacturing
via Google News
The Latest on: Additive manufacturing
- Macro-, meso- and microstructural characterization of metallic lattice structures manufactured by additive manufacturing assisted investment castingon March 2, 2021 at 4:05 am
Periodic lattices have tunable properties and may be manufactured by metallic additive manufacturing (AM) techniques. However, AM can lead to issues with un-melted powder, macro/micro porosity, ...
- Global Additive Manufacturing Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Segments, Share, Key Players and Growth Factor Analysis by 2025on March 1, 2021 at 8:19 am
MarketsandResearch.biz has added a new key research report entitled Global Additive Manufacturing Software Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 that covers the ...
- Naval Postgraduate School and Xerox Collaborate to Advance Additive Manufacturing Solutionson February 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm
In January 2021, the Department of Defense published its first-ever Additive Manufacturing Strategy to “provide a shared set of guiding principles and a framework for [additive manufacturing] ...
- 3D printing, additive manufacturing sector arms up to scaleon February 28, 2021 at 3:00 pm
3D printing startups are going public via SPACs and raising funds to compete with incumbents. Here's the short version, additive manufacturing is entering a new, more mature phase.
- Additive manufacturing with metal powders market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 19.6% during the forecast period 2019 to 2026on February 26, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Acumen Research and Consulting, Recently Published Report on titled "Additive Manufacturing with Metal Powders Market Size, Share and Forecast, 2019 - 2026" The global additive manufacturing with ...
- Additive Manufacturing Leader Markforged Gets SPAC Deal: What Investors Should Knowon February 24, 2021 at 6:59 pm
About Markforged: Founded in 2013, Markforged is a leader in additive manufacturing. The company said it's reinventing the manufacturing process used by customers. Target industries for the ...
- Markforged, Leader in Additive Manufacturing, to Become Publicly Listed Through Merger With oneon February 24, 2021 at 4:07 am
Markforged (the "Company"), creator of an integrated metal and carbon fiber additive manufacturing platform, The Digital Forge, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to merge with ...
- MSU engineering professor receives $515K NSF CAREER award to support additive manufacturing researchon February 22, 2021 at 12:35 pm
A faculty member in Mississippi State’s Bagley College of Engineering will advance her research in additive manufacturing after receiving $515,000 from a National Science Foundation CAREER award.
- Metal Additive Manufacturing (AM): Enabling a New Emerging Technologyon February 18, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Enabling a New Emerging Technology By Bill Massaro - Director of Advanced Manufacturing, Moog Space and Defense Group - Additive manufacturing (AM) is beginning to revolutionize production technology ...
- Global $6.4 Billion Healthcare Additive Manufacturing Markets to 2028on February 18, 2021 at 4:13 am
The "Healthcare Additive Manufacturing Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Technology (Laser Sintering, ...
via Bing News