Sci-fi authors and gamers have long imagined this day, and now it has come: The U.S. military is developing a laser weapon to shoot enemy drones out of the sky.
The Navy has already developed such a weapon that it plans to deploy on a ship later this summer. The Office of Naval Research (ONR), based in Arlington, Virginia, announced this week that they are now interested in developing a similarlaser weapon for ground vehicles.
The somewhat ominously named GBAD program (short for Ground-Based Air Defense Directed Energy On-the-Move) aims to provide “an affordable alternative to traditional firepower” to guard against unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that could track or target U.S. Marines on the ground, ONR officials said.
The Latest on: Laser Weapons
via Google News
The Latest on: Laser Weapons
- A New Weapon In Israel’s Arsenalon June 22, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz has confirmed that Israel has joined a new Middle Eastern military partnership composed of, among other nations, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Morocco and the ...
- Air Weapons: Bozok The Giant Slayeron June 22, 2022 at 2:50 am
Tubitak SAGE, a Turkish government defense research institute has been trying to compete with Roketsan Corporation by announcing that its Bozok lightweight laser-guided missile was finally entering ...
- Terrifying video shows AI-powered tank blowing up targets in first live-fire test of weapon of the futureon June 21, 2022 at 1:40 pm
A NEW AI-powered tank has hit the market – and it may the future of defense weapons. Estonian company Milrem Robotics and Kongsberg Defense & Aerospace just showed off its latest AI-powered ...
- Smart Weapons Market Size In 2022 with Top Countries Data : What is the growth rate of the Industry? | In-Depth Analysis with 97 Report Pageson June 20, 2022 at 8:05 pm
Smart Weapons Market In 2022 (Short Description) : This report elaborates the market size, market characteristics, ...
- Tankers Charging Drones With Lasers The Focus Of New DARPA Programon June 19, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Exploring the feasibility of tankers using lasers to recharge drones’ batteries is the program's goal, but it could have bigger implications.
- This Starfield weapons feature will delight no-HUD playerson June 19, 2022 at 6:17 am
Everyone's looking forward to trying various Starfield weapons, and no-HUD players will be pleased to hear they won't have to install mods to know ammo counts ...
- Israel’s ‘Iron Beam’ laser system may help deter Iran’s threat against the Holy Landon June 18, 2022 at 10:06 am
Israel’s famous “Iron Dome” anti-missile system has been protecting Israel from rocket, missile and artillery attacks.
- The best Cycle Frontier weapons to take on a missionon June 16, 2022 at 9:01 am
Looking for the best weapons in The Cycle Frontier? With 26 weapons in total, there’s plenty of choice. However, guns cost K-Marks and we’re only allowed to bring two of them with us on a mission. In ...
- Atlanta man charged with pointing laser at police helicopter flying past his apartmenton June 15, 2022 at 6:31 am
The suspect, Jamal Bard, faces felony charges including aggravated assault against the officers, and using a laser against the officers and their aircraft.
- Inside terrifying Russian ‘space war’ tech – with energy weapons, satellite jammers and mega-laserson June 14, 2022 at 9:54 am
RUSSIA has military technologies which would allow it to launch attacks from space including electronic warfare materials, satellites, and lasers. The Ukraine war has been a vessel for the ...
via Bing News