Researchers have developed a technique that might be used to produce “soft machines” made of elastic materials and liquid metals for potential applications in robotics, medical devices and consumer electronics.
Such an elastic technology could make possible robots that have sensory skin and stretchable garments that people might wear to interact with computers or for therapeutic purposes.
However, new manufacturing techniques must be developed before soft machines become commercially practical, said Rebecca Kramer, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue University.
She and her students are working to develop the fabrication technique, which uses a custom-built 3D printer. Recent findings show how to use the technique to create devices called strain gauges, which are commonly found in many commercial applications to measure how much something is stretching.
The Latest on: Soft machines
via Google News
The Latest on: Soft machines
- Arburg's new Allrounder molding machine does ‘More'on October 15, 2021 at 1:19 pm
Arburg is introducing the new Allrounder injection molding machine—the star of the company's Fakuma showcase, according to Arburg, for its ability to offer more to a wide range of industries.
- Nigeria: Youth and Sports Minister Awards Soft Loans to Young Entrepreneurson October 15, 2021 at 5:21 am
Some youth who participated in a creativity competition, themed "Beauty, Brains, and Brawns," were awarded soft loans for their enterprises.
- Youth and sports minister awards soft loans to young entrepreneurson October 15, 2021 at 3:11 am
Some youth who participated in a creativity competition, themed "Beauty, Brains, and Brawns,” were awarded soft loans for their enterprises.
- Panasonic Develops Technology for Evaluating Finger Safety with Toyota to Enable People and Machines to Coexist and Collaborateon October 14, 2021 at 10:59 pm
Panasonic Corporation, together with Toyota Motor Corporation, has developed a technology for evaluating finger safety to enable people and machines to coexist and collaborate safely with peace of ...
- REVEALED: The game-changing app that tells you when any McDonald's soft serve machine is brokenon October 13, 2021 at 4:26 pm
The 'McBroken' app and website has been designed to tell you in real time if the soft serve machine at your local McDonald's is working or not.
- Spotlight: Jennifer Case and Soft Robots, the New Bots on the Blockon October 13, 2021 at 8:03 am
Through squishy and flexible materials and systems of cords and cables, robots can pull off some of the remarkable body movements that animals like octopuses ...
- Soft Cell delighted to be back together and back on the roadon October 8, 2021 at 10:01 pm
They’ve sold more than 10 million records worldwide and their 1981 hit, Tainted Love, has become an icon. Soft Cell’s Marc Almond and Dave Ball were totemic figures during the late 1970s and early ...
- Know these tips to clean soft toys of your kidson October 2, 2021 at 4:15 am
First, remove the dirt from the soft toys. Then, pack all the stuffed toys in a mesh bag and drop them inside the washing machine. Program your washing machine in soft or gentle mode. Use cool water ...
via Bing News