A new treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy with the potential to suppress seizures ‘on demand’ with a pill, similar to how you might take painkillers when you feel a headache coming on, has been developed by UCL researchers funded by the Wellcome Trust.
The treatment, described in Nature Communications, combines genetic and chemical approaches to suppress seizures without disrupting normal brain function. The technique was demonstrated in rodents but in future we could see people controlling seizures on-demand with a simple pill.
Epilepsy affects around 50 million people worldwide including 600,000 in the UK and around a quarter of cases are resistant to conventional treatments. Many of these cases could be addressed by the new treatment method, which relies on genetic modification of brain cells to make them sensitive to a normally inactive compound.
The Latest on: Epilepsy treatment
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Epilepsy treatment” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Epilepsy treatment
- New epilepsy monitoring unit at UC Davis specializes in diagnosing and treating seizureson February 21, 2024 at 5:59 pm
Three million people in the United States suffer from epilepsy and about 20,000 of them in Northern California have seizures that are not controlled by medication. But now there is some new hope.A new ...
- Doctor's told dad his seizures were 'just epilepsy' – and missed terminal brain tumouron February 21, 2024 at 4:33 am
Steve Ackroyd, 48, who worked on Netflix's Sex Education, experienced his first seizure on June 19, 2022. Months went by before he was eventually diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour ...
- Epilepsy Treatment Drugs Market to hit USD 12.3 Bn by 2032, says Global Market Insights Incon February 19, 2024 at 5:30 pm
Epilepsy treatment industry is projected to witness a CAGR of 4.6% during the period 2024-2032. This growth can be attributed to the increasing demand for novel treatment for epilepsy.Selbyville, ...
- How Indian Women With Epilepsy Struggle Due to Treatment Gapon February 18, 2024 at 2:49 am
Discover the hidden struggles that women with epilepsy in India face. This suggests the urgent need for tailored care.
- Natural remedies for epilepsy and seizures, and how effective they are proven to beon February 15, 2024 at 4:00 pm
A 2023 review of research found that acupuncture may be useful for treating epilepsy alongside conventional treatment, like medications. However, the researchers highlighted that further more ...
- How PCPs Can Contribute to Epilepsy Careon February 15, 2024 at 4:53 am
With a nationwide shortage of neurologists, primary care providers must understand the basics of seizure treatment and promote self-management skills in their patients with epilepsy.
- International Epilepsy Day 2024: What Is Pediatric Epilepsy?on February 12, 2024 at 4:56 am
This International Epilepsy Awareness Day, learn about pediatric epilepsy, its causes, symptoms, and treatment options.
- Epilepsy Awareness: Combating Stigma & Seeking Treatmenton February 12, 2024 at 12:48 am
Discover the significance of International Epilepsy Day, the challenges of epilepsy stigma, treatment advancements, and crucial prevention tips.
- What's and How's of pediatric epilepsyon February 11, 2024 at 4:25 am
Understanding these risk factors can help healthcare providers tailor diagnostic and treatment strategies to each child's unique circumstances. Accurate diagnosis is the crucial first step in managing ...
- Researchers identify potential way to treat genetic epilepsy by replacing 'lost' enzymeon February 8, 2024 at 7:34 pm
Scientists have found a new treatment target for CDKL5 deficiency disorder (CDD), one of the most common types of genetic epilepsy.
via Bing News