Tweaking a protein expressed by most liver cancer cells has enabled scientists to make a vaccine that is exceedingly effective at preventing the disease in mice.
Alpha-Fetoprotein, or AFP – normally expressed during development and by liver cancer cells as well – has escaped attack in previous vaccine iterations because the body recognizes it as “self,” said Dr. Yukai He, immunologist at the Medical College of Georgia and Georgia Regents University Cancer Center.
Liver cancer is among the fastest-growing and deadliest cancers in the United States with a 17 percent three-year survival rate. Vaccines help direct the immune system to attack invaders by showing it a representative substance, called an antigen, that the body will recognize as foreign, in this case, AFP for liver cancer.
The Latest on: Liver cancer
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Liver cancer” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Liver cancer
- Fighting liver cancer takes big financial toll: Studyon February 2, 2023 at 11:09 am
Out-of-pocket costs can leave Medicare patients with the most common type of liver cancer in financial distress.
- Liver cancer treatment can place significant financial burden on patients, analysis showson January 30, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Liver cancer mortality is accelerating, in part due to continued detection at late stages, and it is expected to be the third-leading cause of cancer deaths by 2040, according to Dr. Singal and ...
- VA to launch large study on liver cancer early detectionon January 27, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Liver cancer is hard to treat and deadly if it's diagnosed late, which is why early detection is so important. Tamar Taddei is part of a Department of Veterans Affairs study that is the largest ...
- One of the causes of aggressive liver cancer discovered: A 'molecular staple' that helps repair broken DNAon January 27, 2023 at 7:06 am
In liver cancer with the worst prognosis A few years ago, a team led by Puri Fortes team discovered that about half of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (the most common type of liver cancer ...
- One of the causes of aggressive liver cancer discovered: a 'molecular staple' that helps repair broken DNAon January 26, 2023 at 4:01 pm
"Understanding this mechanism could help in the design of therapeutic strategies against the most common form of liver cancer," says CNIO's Óscar Llorca. Error-correcting mechanisms are very ...
- What are the four stages of liver cancer?on January 24, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Doctors assign stages to liver cancer to describe its severity and how far it has spread. Staging liver cancer can also help guide treatment decisions. Most doctors in the United States use the ...
via Bing News