Tweaking a protein expressed by most liver cancer cells has enabled scientists to make a vaccine that is exceedingly effective at preventing the disease in mice.
Alpha-Fetoprotein, or AFP – normally expressed during development and by liver cancer cells as well – has escaped attack in previous vaccine iterations because the body recognizes it as “self,” said Dr. Yukai He, immunologist at the Medical College of Georgia and Georgia Regents University Cancer Center.
Liver cancer is among the fastest-growing and deadliest cancers in the United States with a 17 percent three-year survival rate. Vaccines help direct the immune system to attack invaders by showing it a representative substance, called an antigen, that the body will recognize as foreign, in this case, AFP for liver cancer.
The Latest on: Liver cancer
via Google News
The Latest on: Liver cancer
- Can food choices influence cancer risk?on June 11, 2021 at 8:55 am
Does diet influence cancer risk, and if so, how? This Honest Nutrition feature offers an overview of the links between dietary patterns and cancer.
- Study reveals how Y-box binding protein 1 promotes cancer metastasison June 11, 2021 at 7:34 am
Metastasis of cancer is the main cause of cancer relevant death as well as the main challenge of cancer treatment.
- Galveston PD grants young cancer fighter's wish of riding horseson June 11, 2021 at 7:06 am
Adriana was all smiles as she and other officers rode horses down the beach and took a tour of Galveston last week.
- Dingko Singh, Indian boxer and Asian gold medal winner, dies of canceron June 9, 2021 at 11:11 pm
Former Indian boxer Dingko Singh, who won the Asian Games gold medal died on Thursday after a long battle with liver cancer. He was 42-years-old and had been fighting cancer since 2017. He is survived ...
- Indian boxing: Asian Games gold medalist and Padma Shri awardee Ngangom Dingko Singh dies due to liver canceron June 9, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Ngangom Dingko Singh, an Asian Games gold-medallist in boxing, passed away on Thursday in Imphal after losing his battle with liver cancer. He was 42. The Manipur boxer had won gold in bantamweight at ...
- Dingko Singh, Asian Gold Medallist Boxer, Dies of Canceron June 9, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Asian Games gold medal-winning former boxer Dingko Singh died on Thursday after a long battle with liver cancer.
- Asian Games gold-winning former boxer Dingko Singh dies of liver canceron June 9, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Asian Games gold medal-winning former boxer Dingko Singh died on Thursday after a long battle with liver cancer ...
- 'State-of-the-art' equipment at QA Hospital to benefit liver cancer patientson June 7, 2021 at 7:16 am
PATIENTS with liver cancer in Portsmouth now have access to new ‘state-of-the-art’ equipment at Queen Alexandra Hospital, which is used to destroy cancerous cells.
- Diet plays critical role in NASH progressing to liver cancer in mouse modelon June 1, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common cause of chronic liver disease worldwide. NAFLD patients are at higher risk of developing non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), which ...
- Indigenous Americans: Global DNA pattern and gene expression signature in liver canceron May 30, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), the main form of primary liver cancer, is one of the leading causes of tumor-related death worldwide.
via Bing News