External laser device detects presence of alcohol vapors inside of a moving car
“This work illustrates how remote sensing technologies affect our everyday life,” said Marco Gianinetto of the Politecnico di Milano, an associate editor with the journal. “We all are already familiar with laser instruments used by the police for speed-limit enforcement. Now these researchers have demonstrated how a laser device could be effectively used for detecting drunken drivers and thereby helping to reduce the number of accidents caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol. In the future, a similar technology may be developed to detect different chemical compounds, enabling the detection of drivers under the influence of other intoxicants.”
The use of the device is simple: The laser system is set up on the side of the road to monitor each car that passes by. If alcohol vapors are detected in the car, a message with a photo of the car including its number plate is sent to a police officer waiting down the road. Then, the police officer stops the car and checks for signs of alcohol using conventional tests.
Should be really interesting to watch the conversations around this one . . .
The Latest on: Laser alcohol detector
via Google News
The Latest on: Laser alcohol detector
- Qinetiq Flies UAS Using Laser Communications Systemon July 29, 2022 at 9:51 am
LONDON—UK defense technology company Qinetiq has flown an uncrewed aircraft system (UAS) using a laser communication system, in what it says is the world’s first. The company says the Free Space ...
- 10 Nanotech Breakthroughs You Should Know About (Updated)on July 26, 2022 at 5:00 pm
We are examining the deposition of ceramic thin films on medical devices using pulsed laser deposition ... of Google Glass that uses nanotech in contact lenses? A Nanotech Detector for Heart Attacks ...
- Laser Noob: Getting Started With The K40 Laseron July 25, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Finally, I added a carbon monoxide detector to make sure the K40 doesn ... I cleaned the mirrors and the laser tube with alcohol, but it was no help. Finally, I disassembled the focusing head.
- World's first laser-controlled drone easily evades countermeasureson July 21, 2022 at 10:59 am
But British defense tech company QinetiQ has now demonstrated a laser-controlled drone these ... where the enemy might have RF-blocking or detection gear. The system appears to require line ...
- EM-Smart: The Best Way to Build a Profitable Laser Businesson July 18, 2022 at 4:35 pm
It’s the smallest desktop industrial laser marking machine for metal in the world, you’d be hard to find a product like this on the market. In addition, functions including motion detection ...
- Fast, Reliable Smoke Detection for the Dustiest Settingson July 13, 2022 at 12:06 am
The ASD system analyzes the air in a flair detection chamber that uses a short wavelength laser, a CMOS imager and multiple photodiodes that can distinguish between smoke and dust, minimizing ...
- Leak Detection and Repair Market Size to Surpass US$ 25 billion By 2027on July 7, 2022 at 12:24 am
Jul 07, 2022 (Market Insight Reports) -- Market Study Report: The Report 2021-2027 Global Leak Detection and Repair Market Report explores the essential factors of the Leak Detection and Repair ...
- Lasik eye surgeryon June 28, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Lasik eye surgery may be pitched as a "safe and easy alternative to glasses," but more than half of the people who have it or other laser vision-correction surgery still need to wear glasses at ...
- Laser-Etching Photos On To Eggson June 28, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Then, a laser needs to be fitted to the CNC head, and the egg depth mapped with a probe to ensure the entire etching is in focus. Then it’s simply a matter of loading up an image, and turning ...
- Research shows development of hybrid sensor to help diagnose canceron June 17, 2022 at 11:51 pm
So far, the sensor has been tested not on blood samples but on water solutions of isopropyl alcohol in 20 different concentrations, from 0.08% to 72% by weight.
via Bing News