Mass production of industrial goods, such as furniture, clothing or ball pens, is inexpensive. In the future, even small series of individualized products might be manufactured rapidly and efficiently by means of intelligent machines that communicate with each other.
To this end, researchers of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) coordinate the SkillPro EU research project that is aimed at finding innovative solutions to considerably reduce changeover times in the production process.
Having completed one order, manufacture of any new product ordered mostly requires a modification of the production process. When manufacturing small series, preparation, setup, and programming of the machine park often take much longer than manufacture proper. “Machines equipped with additional intelligence and communicating with each other are expected to significantly reduce the changeover time,” says engineer Thomas Maier, Managing Director of KIT’s Institute for Information Management in Engineering (IMI). A machine equipped with camera sensors, for instance, can recognize any workpiece even in case of changing products. Having examined the workpiece’s shape and position, the machine can decide how to apply its gripper or suction caps and where to place the workpiece. Depending on the product, machines having gripping, welding, or bonding skills can determine their next task or production step. They “communicate” with neighboring machines and know whether they have to ask for a mobile robot to transport the product to the next workstation or the shipping department of the company.
The Latest on: Intelligent Machines
via Google News
The Latest on: Intelligent Machines
- iM Intelligent Mining Now Operates With Solar-Powered Blockchainon April 10, 2021 at 5:49 am
Instead of having the machine at home with all the dust and heat and cables, you just hold the token and it’s like owning your own mining farm.” iM Intelligent Mining provides an investment structure ...
- A New Class of Machine Will Be Born Roboticon April 9, 2021 at 4:53 am
In the future every machine will be an intelligent and “understanding” robot if it’s using the code-free Robust.AI cognitive engine. The industry has been talking about “smart manufacturing” for the ...
- Strategic Resource Alternatives (SRA) Picks Intelligent Contacts For Consumer-Focused Communication & Payment Solutionson April 8, 2021 at 2:11 pm
“Intelligent Contacts offers the full suite of digital payment ... As SRA continues to expand its footprint in the financial services and BPO space, harnessing the power of AI and machine learning has ...
- SICK Presents Intelligent Sensor Solutions for Robotics, Safety and Smart Logistics at ProMatDXon April 8, 2021 at 8:49 am
SICK is presenting six demonstrations and two educational sessions that highlight how intelligent sensors can improve supply chain operations for robotics, safety, and smart logistics.
- In The Inevitable Machine Economy, Intelligent Systems Free Limited Human Resources For Creative Problem Solving At Scaleon April 7, 2021 at 7:54 am
PwC has argued that 70% of the growth of global GDP will come from the combination of AI, automation, and robotics.
- Teaching Diversity And Inclusion To The Billions Of Intelligent Systems Making Autonomous Decisionson April 7, 2021 at 7:53 am
U.S. GDP is expected to grow $10T between now and 2030. If 70% of that is from these machines sensing, predicting, computing, and connecting on the intelligent edge, then that is a $7T economy. Will ...
- Intelligent Artifacts Partners with ConsuNova to Develop its DO-178C Certifiable Softwareon April 6, 2021 at 5:54 am
"We've created a new category of 'Traceable Machine Learning'" says Mark Mackowiak, Intelligent Artifacts' COO, "which enables customers to fully understand why a prediction was made. End-Users ...
- Intelligent Vending Machine Market Trends Forecast and Industry Analysis to 2025on April 6, 2021 at 5:28 am
The global intelligent vending machine market is envisaged to gather pace for its growth on the back of the rise in the penetration of IoT and connected devices. In order to offer more engaging and ...
- Why machine learning, not artificial intelligence, is the right way forward for data scienceon April 5, 2021 at 2:59 pm
Commentary: We like to imagine an AI-driven future, but it's machine learning that will actually help us to progress, argues expert Michael I. Jordan.
- Intelligent Vending Machines Market to Grow With New Opportunities & Developments by 2021-2025on March 31, 2021 at 11:16 am
Moreover, growing adoption of vending machines in several offices, libraries and co working spaces is further creating opportunities for the growth of global intelligent vending machines market in the ...
via Bing News