Human error is the culprit in 93 percent of automobile crashes — including the pileup last weekend that left Tracy Morgan in critical condition, caused, prosecutors say, by a truck driver who had been awake for 24 hours.
Robots, on the other hand, don’t need to sleep. Nor do they get drunk or distracted by cellphones. That is why Marc Andreessen, the venture capitalist, wrote on Twitter about the accident, with his usual bravado, “
Self-driving cars and trucks are a moral imperative.”
How much safer would driving be if robots replaced humans on the roads?
The Latest on: Self-driving cars
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Self-driving cars” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Self-driving cars
- This self-driving patrol robot is being used to detect danger and alert police on Seoul’s streetson November 19, 2022 at 2:48 am
In a narrow alley in Seoul, South Korea, a drunken man has fallen asleep on the pavement. A robot on wheels slowly approaches him and tries to wake him up. "Sir, it's dangerous if you sleep here. Let ...
- Self-driving cars could break through gridlockon November 18, 2022 at 2:21 pm
A split government set to take hold in January 2023 is likely to bring gridlock in a bunch of policy areas, and confronting Big Tech is no exception. But the close margins in the House and Senate ...
- Cruise Self-Driving Taxis Start Daytime Rides in San Franciscoon November 17, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Finally, after months of the self-driving taxi service being limited to nighttime fares ... Read more These Are Your Guilty Pleasure Cars The 15 Most Successful Formula 1 Cars of All Time These Cars ...
- Volkswagen’s New CEO Puts Self-Driving Car Plans Under Reviewon November 17, 2022 at 6:22 am
Chief Executive Oliver Blume is beginning to reorder VW’s most ambitious—and fraught—endeavors to focus on near-term implementation of key software and technology for coming models.
- What Happens If Self-Driving Cars Don’t Happen This Decade?on November 15, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Yesterday, I outlined why the reports of the death of self-driving cars are greatly overstated. Car OEMs never wanted this to happen fast and their cold feet don’t reveal much. A lot of people got ...
- Self-driving cars are turning into hyperlocal weather stationson November 15, 2022 at 2:22 pm
By Charlotte Hu | Published Nov 15, 2022 3:00 PM Weather phenomena can impact our travels, and self-driving cars are no different from us in that sense. Inclement conditions can create challenges for ...
- Here's How Advanced The Best Autonomous Driving Vehicles Are Todayon November 15, 2022 at 6:16 am
Despite the claims Tesla (read Elon Musk) has made about introducing fully autonomous vehicles by 2021, we haven't seen this happen yet. No car manufacturer is quite there with the technology to ...
- Reports Of The Death Of Self-Driving Cars Are Greatly Exaggeratedon November 15, 2022 at 4:34 am
Recent weeks have seen a number of reports of the death of self-driving cars, triggered mostly by the closure of Argo.AI, the self-driving startup funded by Ford and VW. That shutdown hasn’t been the ...
- Without New Regulations, Self-Driving Cars Could Make Our Transportation System Even Worseon November 14, 2022 at 6:14 pm
Autonomous vehicles (AVs), or self-driving cars, have enormous potential and could transform the surface transportation system. By allowing drivers to become passengers, AVs could give hundreds of ...
- Beware of These 3 Potential Downsides To Self-Driving Carson November 13, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Having a self-driving option in your car seems like a great way to relax or carve out time for other tasks. But the proliferation of self-driving technology could have some unintended consequences.
via Bing News