The tool leverages this technology to detect security-specific properties within a hardware system. For example, the tool can make sure that a cryptographic key does not leak outside a chip’s cryptographic core.
Computer scientists at the University of California, San Diego, have developed a tool that allows hardware designers and system builders to test security- a first for the field.
One of the tool’s potential uses is described in the May-June issue of IEEE Micro magazine.
“The stakes in hardware security are high”, said Ryan Kastner, a professor of computer science at the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego.
There is a big push to create the so-called Internet of Things, where all devices are connected and communicate with one another. As a result, embedded systems—small computer systems built around microcontrollers—are becoming more common. But they remain vulnerable to security breaches. Some examples of devices that may be hackable: medical devices, cars, cell phones and smart grid technology.
“Engineers traditionally design devices to be fast and use as little power as possible,” said Jonathan Valamehr, a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at UC San Diego. “Oftentimes, they don’t design them with security in mind.”
The tool, based on the team’s research on Gate-level Information Flow Tracking, or GLIFT, tags critical pieces in a hardware’s security system and tracks them. The tool leverages this technology to detect security-specific properties within a hardware system. For example, the tool can make sure that a cryptographic key does not leak outside a chip’s cryptographic core.
The Latest on: Internet of Things
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of Things
- Why Internet Of Things Is The Future Of Mobile App Developmenton May 11, 2021 at 1:55 am
Among other things, the world of mobile applications to has come under the influence of the Internet of Things. This incredible technology has had a tremendous impact on the development of mobile apps ...
- Global Internet of Things Analytics Market 2021 Industry Key Player, Trend and Segmented Data, Demand and Forecast by 2026on May 10, 2021 at 8:14 pm
Global Internet of Things Analytics Market 2021 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 provides the overall structure and business outlook of the market. The report highlights the ...
- Industrial Internet-Of-Things Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2026on May 10, 2021 at 9:37 am
Another report distributed on Industrial Internet-Of-Things Market offers a broad investigation of key development procedures, drivers, openings, key fragments, Porter’s Five Forces examination, and ...
- Internet of Things (IoT) in Retail Market Rise in New Research - ARM Holdings Plc, Cisco Systems and Allerin Tech Pvt Ltdon May 10, 2021 at 6:26 am
MarketResearch.Biz one of the world’s prominent marketing research firm has launched a brand new report on Global Internet of Things (IoT) in Retail Market. The report is complete of critical insights ...
- Internet of Things (IOT) in Agriculture Marketon May 10, 2021 at 5:28 am
ReportsnReports recently announces a latest research report titled Global Internet of Things IOT in Agriculture Market 2020 which highlights the Internet of Things IOT in Agriculture Market size ...
- $900+ Billion Industrial Internet of Things Market by IIoT Technologies, Solutions and Services, 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 10, 2021 at 3:33 am
The “Industrial Internet of Things Market by IIoT Technologies, Solutions and Services 2021 - 2026” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. This report evaluates IIoT technologies, ...
- Global Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) Market – Top Industry Segments Analyzed in Latest Research Report by MRSon May 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
The Report By Market Research Store of the COVID-19 outbreak impact on Global Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) Market Analysis and Forecast 2020-2026. Latest updated report pub ...
- Sensors in Internet of Things (IoT) Devices Market Share, Types, Applications, Products, Size, Growth, Insights and Forecasts Report 2028on May 7, 2021 at 10:57 am
Devices Market Share, Types, Applications, Products, Size, Growth, Insights and Forecasts Report 2028. sensors in Internet of Things (IoT) devi ...
- Amazon VP of devices on its new network for the internet of thingson May 7, 2021 at 9:00 am
Dave Limp, Amazon VP of devices and services, joins "TechCheck" to discuss Amazon's new Sidewalk program, to develop a network designed for the internet of things.
- Securing the Internet of Things in the Age of Quantum Computingon May 6, 2021 at 10:22 am
Internet security, privacy, and authentication aren't new issues, but IoT presents unique security challenges.
via Bing News