In many parts of the world, shark attacks are a very real possibility for anyone entering the ocean.
While suspended nets do help keep the toothsome fish separated from swimmers, they’re far from from 100 percent reliable, plus sharks (along with other marine animals) regularly get caught in them and perish – as sharks are one of the ocean’s apex predators, removing them from the ecosystem could have disastrous consequences. The Clever Buoy, however, may prove to be an effective method of keeping humans and sharks apart, with no harm coming to either.
Currently being developed by Australian tech firm Optus, the buoy is anchored to a seabed-located box, that emits sonar signals into the surrounding water. A processor in the buoy analyzes the reflections of those signals, and is able to identify the sonar signature of shark-sized objects in the vicinity. To lessen the chances of it being fooled by animals like dolphins, it also takes note of how such objects propel themselves through the water, to see if they’re moving in a shark-like fashion.
The Latest on: Shark alarm
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Shark alarm” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Shark alarm
- Boston Tourist Killed By Shark While Paddleboarding In Bahamason December 5, 2023 at 4:00 pm
A 44-year-old Boston woman was killed Monday after being bitten by a shark while paddleboarding in the Bahamas, making it at least the third attack in the area within the last six months. The woman ...
- Bathers Beach could be site for Perth’s next shark barrieron December 5, 2023 at 9:59 am
The council will consider implementing a shark barrier at the beach after an investigation was launched following the fatal attack of a 16-year-old in the Swan River in February.
- US ‘newlywed’ killed by sharkon December 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Ms Zenato speculated that a tiger shark attacked the woman, though she emphasised she didn’t have all the information. She said “unless there are things going on that we’re not aware of”, the incident ...
- Mother in Mexico hoists child to safety before being killed in shark attackon December 4, 2023 at 5:02 am
Witnesses at the beach said the woman had hoisted her child to safety on a floating platform before the attack ...
- Fish Hoek shark attack: What happenedon December 3, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The Shark Spotters first sighted two Great White Sharks at 9.15. The alarm was sounded and the beach closed and the white flag raised. Once the sharks had moved back out the bay the Red Warning Flag ...
- Port Phillip Bay plane crash: Police divers fought off sharks as they bravely retrieved the bodies of pilot Stephen Gale, 56, and camera operator James Rose, 30on November 27, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Brave divers who plunged into the depths of Melbourne's Port Phillip Bay to retrieve the bodies of two plane crash victims were forced to fend-off hungry sharks.
- Wow! This Shark robot vacuum and mop is $188 for Black Fridayon November 24, 2023 at 8:37 am
The Shark IQ 2-in-1 RV2402WD robot vacuum and mop, which is a complete and cleaning device, is on sale from Walmart for a very affordable $188 for Black Friday.
- Sharks sighting alerton November 22, 2023 at 12:53 am
Footage of sharks swimming near the shore of Muizenberg beach have caused alarm, but the City of Cape Town has reassured the public that there is no need for concern.
- Sharks spotted swimming near Muizenberg beach ‘not known to pose a risk’on November 21, 2023 at 9:00 pm
While a video of sharks swimming near the shore of Muizenberg beach may have been cause for the alarm, the City has reassured the public that there is no need for concern.
- Canucks 3, Sharks 1: Bottom-six mix does dirty work to avoid danger game losson November 20, 2023 at 9:54 pm
The Sharks then got a power-play goal on the extended advantage early in the third period when a point shot struck Tyler Myers and Hertl was there to pounce on the loose puck and draw the Sharks to ...
via Bing News