In many parts of the world, shark attacks are a very real possibility for anyone entering the ocean.
While suspended nets do help keep the toothsome fish separated from swimmers, they’re far from from 100 percent reliable, plus sharks (along with other marine animals) regularly get caught in them and perish – as sharks are one of the ocean’s apex predators, removing them from the ecosystem could have disastrous consequences. The Clever Buoy, however, may prove to be an effective method of keeping humans and sharks apart, with no harm coming to either.
Currently being developed by Australian tech firm Optus, the buoy is anchored to a seabed-located box, that emits sonar signals into the surrounding water. A processor in the buoy analyzes the reflections of those signals, and is able to identify the sonar signature of shark-sized objects in the vicinity. To lessen the chances of it being fooled by animals like dolphins, it also takes note of how such objects propel themselves through the water, to see if they’re moving in a shark-like fashion.
Read more . . .
The Latest on: Shark alarm
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Shark alarm” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Shark alarm
- Sharks, tourists jostle for space around Thai destination islandon March 28, 2023 at 3:00 pm
MAYA BAY, Thailand, March 27 (Reuters) - On any given day in Thailand's Maya Bay, up to 40 blacktip reef sharks cruise in the cyan shallows while about 4,000 tourists visit its white-sand beach ...
- Shark Tank Food Inventions That Floppedon March 28, 2023 at 8:26 am
Some food entrepreneurs can't swim with the Sharks. Whether it was bad sales or a poor business plan, here are "Shark Tank" food inventions that flopped.
- 30 “Shark Tank” Products Worth Your Moneyon March 26, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The Scrub Daddy is one of the most well-known Shark Tank products. Although a sponge might not seem like the coolest product, anyone who’s slaved over the sink trying to get a pan clean will ...
- Making their pitch: Newark students propose innovations to 'shark pool'on March 24, 2023 at 4:13 pm
The fourth and fifth graders from After School Adventures pitched their ideas to judges during a competition similar to the TV show "Shark Tank." ...
- Shark vs Dyson: Which vacuum cleaner is best?on March 24, 2023 at 10:10 am
If you’re shopping for one of the best vacuums, you’ve no doubt come across the debate of Shark vs Dyson. These two brands dominate the vacuum cleaner market, promoting very different designs ...
- Shark vs Dyson: which vacuum cleaner brand is best?on March 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Over the past few years, US brand Shark has been doing its best to take a bite out of Dyson’s share of the competitive UK vacuum cleaner market. Neither brand is cheap, so if you want to spend your ...
- The best Shark vacuums of 2023on March 22, 2023 at 2:02 pm
These vacuums (and mops) are designed to provide comprehensive cleaning. The Shark Stratos AZ3002 has suction, two brushrolls, three surface selector options, a removable pod, an anti-allergen ...
- Is This Photo of the Ultra-Rare Goblin Shark Actually a Toy?on March 21, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Depending on who you talk to, either a rare deep-sea shark washed up on the shores of Greece’s Anafi Island in 2020, and marked the first-ever recording of a goblin shark sighting in the Mediterranean ...
- Endangered zebra sharks to be released back into oceans in first-ever international 're-wilding' efforton March 20, 2023 at 12:55 am
An international effort to rebuild shark populations officially has begun. Two baby zebra sharks were released in the Raja Ampat Regency of Indonesia earlier this year as the first step in a ...
- Silicon Valley Bank crisis a result of ‘idiot management,’ Kevin O’Leary sayson March 18, 2023 at 11:43 am
Silicon Valley Bank shuttered, prompting alarm nationwide. Reality TV star and business mogul Kevin O’Leary blames the bank’s management for the crisis.
via Bing News