The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating
In the wake of recent off-shore oil spills, and with the growing popularity of “fracking” — in which water is used to release oil and gas from shale — there’s a need for easy, quick ways to separate oil and water. Now, scientists have developed coatings that can do just that. Their report on the materials, which also could stop surfaces from getting foggy and dirty, appears in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
J.P.S. Badyal and colleagues point out that oil-spill cleanup crews often use absorbents, like clays, straw and wool to sop up oil, but these materials aren’t very efficient because they also sop up a lot of water. Extra steps and equipment also are needed to remove the oil from the absorbent, which is difficult to do on a ship. Recently, researchers have turned their attention to new smart materials called “oleophobic–hydrophilic” coatings that instead let the water through and repel the oil. However, the films that have been reported so far take several minutes to do the separation, are complicated to make or aren’t very good at repelling oil. So, Badyal’s team set out to improve these materials.
They developed oleophobic-hydrophilic coatings that they applied to pieces of metal mesh, just like what’s used in screen doors. When they poured an oil-water mixture onto it, the water dripped through into the container below, while the oil remained perched atop the mesh surface. Then, they simply tilted the mesh so the oil went into another container. The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating. The team also demonstrated that it could serve as an anti-fogging and self-cleaning film.
The Latest on: Smart coating
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Smart coating” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart coating
- Bond frontrunner Lucien Laviscount looks dapper in a camel coat on night out following that VERY boozy British Fashion Awards after-party exiton December 7, 2023 at 1:52 am
Lucien Laviscount was pictured at the Chiltern Firehouse in London on Wednesday, looking dapper in a camel coat.
- Smart Sheds: The Future Of Outdoor Storageon December 6, 2023 at 4:35 pm
Outdoor sheds are having a major moment right now. The global outdoor storage shed market is projected to grow from $6.8 billion in 2022 all the way up to $11.95 billion by 2032. According to recent ...
- TOWIE stars Ferne McCann and Lydia Bright reunite for James Argent's star-studded birthday as Mark Wright and Michelle Keegan also attend the bashon December 6, 2023 at 1:26 pm
TOWIE stars Ferne McCann and Lydia Bright reunite for James Argent's star-studded birthday party on Tuesday night.
- M&S selling winter coat that's 'elegant and super warm' in two colourson December 6, 2023 at 5:23 am
Marks and Spencer shoppers have been recommending a longline coat that some claim is a ‘winter staple’. Coats are undeniably needed now the weather has turned colder but with so many styles, finding ...
- Primark's 'unreal' coat that shoppers are 'obsessed with' and makes you look like 'global superstar'on December 6, 2023 at 2:28 am
Shoppers say they are 'obsessed' with Primark's winter coat. Costing £60, it's one of the chain's most expensive jackets, but fans say it's worth every penny. Sharing a video of the attire on TikTok, ...
- Easy way to style your scarf to keep super warm so you don’t need to wear a hoodie or thick coaton December 5, 2023 at 1:04 am
SCARF season is among us. The UK was hit with a sub-zero chill over the weekend as temperatures plunged as low as -5C. And if you’re heading out in this weather, a scarf, hat and gloves are ...
- Marks and Spencer shoppers go wild for 'elegant' winter coat that will 'last forever'on December 4, 2023 at 7:04 am
Marks and Spencer have released a perfect winter coat that shoppers say 'will last forever', which comes in two colours - caramel and black - and they've been selling out fast ...
- I’ve found the best Zara coat dupe in Primark – it’s fully lined, the quality is better & is a whopping £129 cheaperon December 4, 2023 at 1:48 am
The Primark version costs just £60 and according to Gina, ‘actually contains more wool’ WITH temperatures continuing to drop, many people will be on the lookout for a new coat to wrap ...
- Taylor Swift Braves the Cold in a Chic Red Coat and Thigh-High Boots at Travis Kelce's Latest Gameon December 3, 2023 at 5:24 pm
On December 3, the 33-year-old pop star was spotted at Lambeau Field in Wisconsin as the Kansas City Chiefs face off against the Green Bay Packers. Swift made dressing for the chilly Midwestern night ...
- Meizu debuts smart ring under new brandon November 30, 2023 at 10:41 pm
Meizu has unveiled its latest wearable, the MYVU Ring smart ring, designed to enhance experience for users of the MYVU Discovery AR glasses.
via Bing News