The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating
In the wake of recent off-shore oil spills, and with the growing popularity of “fracking” — in which water is used to release oil and gas from shale — there’s a need for easy, quick ways to separate oil and water. Now, scientists have developed coatings that can do just that. Their report on the materials, which also could stop surfaces from getting foggy and dirty, appears in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
J.P.S. Badyal and colleagues point out that oil-spill cleanup crews often use absorbents, like clays, straw and wool to sop up oil, but these materials aren’t very efficient because they also sop up a lot of water. Extra steps and equipment also are needed to remove the oil from the absorbent, which is difficult to do on a ship. Recently, researchers have turned their attention to new smart materials called “oleophobic–hydrophilic” coatings that instead let the water through and repel the oil. However, the films that have been reported so far take several minutes to do the separation, are complicated to make or aren’t very good at repelling oil. So, Badyal’s team set out to improve these materials.
They developed oleophobic-hydrophilic coatings that they applied to pieces of metal mesh, just like what’s used in screen doors. When they poured an oil-water mixture onto it, the water dripped through into the container below, while the oil remained perched atop the mesh surface. Then, they simply tilted the mesh so the oil went into another container. The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating. The team also demonstrated that it could serve as an anti-fogging and self-cleaning film.
The Latest on: Smart coating
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Smart coating” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart coating
- Hong Kong and United Arab Emirates set to commence talks on bilateral free trade agreement, city leader John Lee sayson February 9, 2023 at 1:33 am
Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee tells a forum in Dubai that he is ‘keen to build ever stronger economic, trade and investment ties with the UAE’.
- Smart Materials Market Projected to Hit USD 115.08 Billion,on February 8, 2023 at 4:47 am
The smart market for the European region is predicted to grow ... by Market Research Future: Epoxy Coatings Market: Information by Technology (Water-Borne, Solvent-Borne, Powder), End-Use Industry ...
- Paints And Coatings Market Size To Worth Around USD 373.85 BN By 2032on February 7, 2023 at 1:47 pm
As a result, the expanding architecture and construction sector is anticipated to see an increase in demand for paints and coatings. Furthermore, the automotive industry has seen significant growth in ...
- Global Growth of Road Marking Paints and Coatings Market Will Record a Slow CAGR of 3.5% During 2022 to 2032 | Report by Future Market Insights, Inc.on February 7, 2023 at 2:40 am
Asia Pacific is likely to lead in future years by procuring the largest road marking paints & coatings market share. JotunCrown Technology, LLC, The Sherwin-Williams Company, Ennis-Flint, Inc., 3M, ...
- Sensor-loaded, $1 smart glove developed to reduce stillbirths, maternal deathson February 6, 2023 at 7:03 am
The researchers plan to run clinical trials to show if the device can provide an early warning system for physical impediments to birth.
- Smart Coating Market 2023 Research Report which Shows Huge Growth Rate, Revenue, Progress Insight and Forecast to 2028on February 3, 2023 at 2:05 am
Feb 03, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry. Global “Smart Coating Market” ...
- Battery Coating Market Anticipated to Cross $658 Million by 2027 Globally, at a CAGR of 14.9%, says MarketsandMarkets™on February 1, 2023 at 5:31 pm
Chicago, Feb. 01, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The global "Battery Coating Market is projected to grow from USD ... The growth of the market is driven by the increasing demand for plug-in vehicles, smart ...
- North America Epoxy Powder Coatings Market Size Increasing Demand With Industry Professionals 2023-2033on January 31, 2023 at 8:13 am
such as heat and anti-reflective coating, electro-chromatic and smart coatings for windows, self-cleaning top coats, UV-curable powder coating system, iridescent and color changing base coat, and ...
- Antiviral and Antimicrobial Smart Coatingson January 26, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Antiviral and Antimicrobial Smart Coatings: Fundamentals and Applications provides a critical analysis of all types of smart antiviral and antimicrobial coatings currently being researched. The book ...
- Cardboard with a more sustainable coatingon January 26, 2023 at 6:56 am
To help speed up the transition of plastic to paper, TU/e chemist Sterre Bakker researched what coatings can be used to make cardboard a more suitable food packaging material. About 20% of waste ...
via Bing News