The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating
In the wake of recent off-shore oil spills, and with the growing popularity of “fracking” — in which water is used to release oil and gas from shale — there’s a need for easy, quick ways to separate oil and water. Now, scientists have developed coatings that can do just that. Their report on the materials, which also could stop surfaces from getting foggy and dirty, appears in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
J.P.S. Badyal and colleagues point out that oil-spill cleanup crews often use absorbents, like clays, straw and wool to sop up oil, but these materials aren’t very efficient because they also sop up a lot of water. Extra steps and equipment also are needed to remove the oil from the absorbent, which is difficult to do on a ship. Recently, researchers have turned their attention to new smart materials called “oleophobic–hydrophilic” coatings that instead let the water through and repel the oil. However, the films that have been reported so far take several minutes to do the separation, are complicated to make or aren’t very good at repelling oil. So, Badyal’s team set out to improve these materials.
They developed oleophobic-hydrophilic coatings that they applied to pieces of metal mesh, just like what’s used in screen doors. When they poured an oil-water mixture onto it, the water dripped through into the container below, while the oil remained perched atop the mesh surface. Then, they simply tilted the mesh so the oil went into another container. The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating. The team also demonstrated that it could serve as an anti-fogging and self-cleaning film.
The Latest on: Smart coating
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart coating
- Huawei’s smart school bag is just what you might need to keep your kids safeon January 17, 2022 at 1:23 am
Huawei's new smart school bag is available in Starry Night Blue and Morning Pink colour variants for beta testers in China via Huawei Mall.
- Zn-Al Coating Service Market 2021 to 2027 – Global Industry Analysis, Growth, Trends and Forecaston January 13, 2022 at 10:44 pm
The global research report titled Global Zn-Al Coating Service Market from 2021 to 2027, recently published by MarketandResearch.biz is an ...
- Oura Ring 3 review: Lord of the smart ringson January 12, 2022 at 6:52 am
The Oura Ring 3 is almost last man standing in the smart ring market – and its strong mix of health features has ensured it has stood the test of time.
- Smart Sports Fitness Tracker Market Competitive Insights 2022 - 2028 | Apple, Fitbit, Nike, Fossil Group, Garmin Internationalon January 11, 2022 at 4:00 am
The latest examination of the Smart Sports Fitness Tracker market forecasts market dynamics The observation seems at key industry trends which might be influencing market increase right now This study ...
- Titan EyeX smart glasses launched in India: Check price, specs, availabilityon January 10, 2022 at 1:13 am
Titan EyeX smart glasses cost Rs 9,999 in India and they are available for purchase in India in a Midnight Black colour variant via the Titan Eye+ store.
- Lenovo’s new Smart Clock features Alexa — and seems especially perfect for kidson January 7, 2022 at 8:54 am
The Lenovo Smart Clock Essential With Alexa finally brings Amazon's virtual assistant to the mix, complete with support for some really fun light-up docks.
- Smart roof coating keeps houses warm in winter, cool in summeron January 7, 2022 at 12:10 am
Scientists have developed an all-season smart-roof coating that keeps homes warm during the winter and cool during the summer without consuming natural ...
- Next generation textiles: Smart materials generate electricity and support temperature regulation through coolingon January 6, 2022 at 3:20 am
Smart textiles use the warmth emitted by the human body and convert it into electricity. Their cooling properties make the new materials interesting for safety-relevant applications and at the same ...
- Film-coating gives windows temperature controlon January 6, 2022 at 12:30 am
Windows that harvest the sun’s energy in the winter to warm a house and reflect it in the summer to keep it cool are under development.
- Smart Coatings Market 2021 Segmented by Product, Application, Key Players and Regional Analysis to 2026on January 5, 2022 at 10:40 pm
In-depth Analysis and Data-driven Insights on the Impact of COVID-19 Included in this Global Smart Coatings Market Report The global smart coatings market by revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of ...
via Bing News