The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating
In the wake of recent off-shore oil spills, and with the growing popularity of “fracking” — in which water is used to release oil and gas from shale — there’s a need for easy, quick ways to separate oil and water. Now, scientists have developed coatings that can do just that. Their report on the materials, which also could stop surfaces from getting foggy and dirty, appears in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
J.P.S. Badyal and colleagues point out that oil-spill cleanup crews often use absorbents, like clays, straw and wool to sop up oil, but these materials aren’t very efficient because they also sop up a lot of water. Extra steps and equipment also are needed to remove the oil from the absorbent, which is difficult to do on a ship. Recently, researchers have turned their attention to new smart materials called “oleophobic–hydrophilic” coatings that instead let the water through and repel the oil. However, the films that have been reported so far take several minutes to do the separation, are complicated to make or aren’t very good at repelling oil. So, Badyal’s team set out to improve these materials.
They developed oleophobic-hydrophilic coatings that they applied to pieces of metal mesh, just like what’s used in screen doors. When they poured an oil-water mixture onto it, the water dripped through into the container below, while the oil remained perched atop the mesh surface. Then, they simply tilted the mesh so the oil went into another container. The separation was instantaneous and more efficient than existing films, and it only took one step to make the coating. The team also demonstrated that it could serve as an anti-fogging and self-cleaning film.
The Latest on: Smart coating
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Smart coating” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart coating
- Edible Films and Coatings Market is Likely to Surpass US$ 4,871.0 Million by 2033 at a CAGR of 8.2% | FMIon March 3, 2024 at 10:38 pm
The edible films and coatings market is anticipated to expand from US$ 2,210.0 million in 2023 to over US$ 4,871.0 million by 2033 at a CAGR of 8.2%. The demand for edible films and coatings is ...
- Xiaomi Smart Band 8 Pro in for reviewon March 2, 2024 at 6:27 pm
A refined smart band with smartwatch looks. This is the Xiaomi Smart Band 8 Pro and it's a little bit bigger and a bit better than its predecessor.
- DCS Corporation Names Jim Belcher Vice President of Ground Vehicle Systems Divisionon February 29, 2024 at 8:29 am
ALEXANDRIA, Va., Feb. 29, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- DCS Corporation is pleased to announce the appointment of Jim Belcher as its new Vice President of Ground Vehicle Systems.
- Best Smart Scale for 2024on February 28, 2024 at 1:00 am
I'm a Fitness & Nutrition writer for CNET who enjoys reviewing the latest fitness gadgets, testing out activewear and sneakers, as well as debunking wellness myths. On my spare time I enjoy ...
- Saudi Arabia Industrial Coatings Market Outlook, Scope, Growth, Trends And Opportunity 2024-2032on February 27, 2024 at 4:30 pm
These coatings are used in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and electronics, to provide advanced protection and functionality. Additionally, the incorporation of smart coatings ...
- Samsung Offers Massive $600 Discount on ViewFinity S9 5K Smart Monitor, Available for $999.99on February 26, 2024 at 6:47 am
Samsung kicked off a new sale on computer monitors this week, including a match of the all-time low price on the 27-inch ViewFinity S9 5K ...
- This company gave us a sneak peek at the future of smartphone designon February 26, 2024 at 1:00 am
One of 2023's most interesting smartphone companies is at MWC 2024, and it just gave us a sneak peek at what the future of smartphone design could look like.
- The Best Smart Locks, According To Rigorous Testingon February 23, 2024 at 9:21 am
I haven’t used my front door key for a couple of years. With my fingerprint smart lock, I just don’t need it. I can open the door with a fingerprint, with my smartphone or even with my smartwatch.
- n-tech Research Unveils Comprehensive Data Set on Smart and Multifunctional Coatings, Forecasts $23.5 Billion in Revenues by 2030on February 22, 2024 at 6:52 am
GLEN ALLEN, Va., Feb. 22, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Leading industry analyst firm n-tech Research has launched its latest global forecast for the smart and multifunctional coatings market. The firm ...
- Best Outdoor Smart Plugs for 2024on February 20, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Smart lights look great in your yard, but the plugs can be annoying to work with. Suppose you want to have some nice lights in your outdoor space but don't want the hassle of plugging and ...
via Bing News