A Harvard-led team is the first to demonstrate the ability to use low-power light to trigger stem cells inside the body to regenerate tissue, an advance they reported in Science Translational Medicine.
The research, led by Wyss Institute Core Faculty member David Mooney, Ph.D., lays the foundation for a host of clinical applications in restorative dentistry and regenerative medicine more broadly, such as wound healing, bone regeneration, and more.
The team used a low-power laser to trigger human dental stem cells to form dentin, the hard tissue that is similar to bone and makes up the bulk of teeth. What’s more, they outlined the precise molecular mechanism involved, and demonstrated its prowess using multiple laboratory and animal models.
“Our treatment modality does not introduce anything new to the body, and lasers are routinely used in medicine and dentistry, so the barriers to clinical translation are low,” said Mooney
The Latest on: Regenerate teeth
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Regenerate teeth” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Regenerate teeth
- Shark Teeth Aren’t Just ‘Triangular Pointy Things’on February 25, 2024 at 7:00 am
“I think a lot of folks just think that shark teeth are triangular pointy things,” says Sora Kim, a stable-isotope biogeochemist at UC Merced who also studies shark teeth but wasn’t involved in the ...
- Korean Scientists Develop Novel “Bone Bandage” Material for Cracked Boneson February 17, 2024 at 3:10 pm
Bone regeneration is a complicated procedure, and the current approaches for facilitating this regeneration, such as grafts and the application of growth factors, encounter challenges like elevated ...
- Piezoelectric "bone bandage" heals cracked bones fasteron February 1, 2024 at 7:04 pm
Hydroxyapatite (HAp), a mineral in bones and teeth, plays a role in bone’s structural strength and regeneration. It’s commonly added to toothpaste to remineralize tooth enamel and fortify teeth.
- How does regenerate work in MTG?on January 30, 2024 at 7:31 am
MTG Regeneration is one of the oldest keyword abilities in all of Magic: The Gathering. The mechanic has been around since the very first set Limited Edition Alpha in 1993. Its age is felt in how ...
- Novel macrolide–DEL-1 axis drives bone regeneration in aging individualson January 23, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The low levels of DEL-1 protein also affect bone regeneration and new bone formation ... rooted in the understanding that the prevalence of tooth loss due to periodontal disease and fractures ...
- Humans Have a Third Set of Teeth. New Medicine May Help Them Grow.on January 5, 2024 at 1:51 pm
They could be ready by 2030. A sliver of what makes sharks so intriguing comes with their ability to regrow teeth. And while a group of Japanese researchers aren’t claiming that we should be ...
- Humans Have A Third Set of Teeth—And New Medicine May Help Them Growon December 19, 2023 at 9:07 pm
A 2021 study out of Japan showed how targeting genes can regrow teeth in animals. Now, the team has turned to a human clinical trial. By targeting the USAG-1 gene, researchers believe that they can ...
- Humans Have a Third Set of Teeth. New Medicine May Help Them Grow.on September 4, 2023 at 8:00 am
A sliver of what makes sharks so intriguing comes with their ability to regrow teeth. And while a group of Japanese researchers aren’t claiming that we should be trying to be th ...
- How Crypto Can Regenerate The Worldon June 16, 2022 at 4:30 am
Kevin Owocki: It’s up to you whether or not you want to take it. But the green pill is a story of how crypto can regenerate the world. How do we build a world in which we've solved our ...
- Trials Begin For Lozenge That Rebuilds Tooth Enamelon June 2, 2021 at 9:24 am
Skepticism abounds with that stuff, too, although my grill looks better to me. But why settle for new enamel when you could regrow entire teeth?
via Bing News