It did boost cognitive faculties regardless of a person’s age by the equivalent of about six IQ points
PEOPLE are living longer, which is good. But old age often brings a decline in mental faculties and many researchers are looking for ways to slow or halt such decline. One group doing so is led by Dena Dubal of the University of California, San Francisco, and Lennart Mucke of the Gladstone Institutes, also in San Francisco. Dr Dubal and Dr Mucke have been studying the role in ageing of klotho, a protein encoded by a gene called KL. A particular version of this gene, KL-VS, promotes longevity. One way it does so is by reducing age-related heart disease. Dr Dubal and Dr Mucke wondered if it might have similar powers over age-related cognitive decline.
What they found was startling. KL-VS did not curb decline, but it did boost cognitive faculties regardless of a person’s age by the equivalent of about six IQ points. If this result, just published in Cell Reports, is confirmed, KL-VS will be the most important genetic agent of non-pathological variation in intelligence yet discovered.
Dr Dubal and Dr Mucke made their discovery when they looked at 220 volunteers aged 52 to 85, to study the effects ofKL-VS on ageing. They assessed their volunteers’ faculties of memory, attention, visuo-spatial awareness and language. From these, they constructed a composite measure of cognition.
That measure suggested people with a VS version of the KLgene in their chromosomes had better cognition than those without one. When they analysed data collected by two other groups who work independently on KL-VS they discovered these researchers had found the same thing. That comparison brought the number of people examined to 718, a fifth of whom were possessors of KL-VS.
The six-point IQ gap is an extrapolation, since the cognitive tests did not measure general intelligence directly. But if it is correct, variation in the KL gene could account for as much as 3% of the variation of IQ in the general population (or, rather, in the population from which the researchers’ samples were drawn, namely white Americans). In comparison, the previous record-holders, HMGA2 and NPTN, each account for only half a percent of that variation.
The Latest on: KL-VS
via Google News
The Latest on: KL-VS
- Cricket | IND vs ENG 4th Test: India to resume its 2nd innings on Day 3on September 4, 2021 at 11:52 pm
In Cricket, India will resume its second innings on day three against England in the fourth Test, at The Oval on Saturday. Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul took India to 43 for no loss at stumps as the ...
- England vs India 2021: Twitter Goes Wild As Rohit Sharma Smashes His Maiden Overseas Test Hundredon September 4, 2021 at 8:54 pm
Indian opener Rohit Sharma reached his first overseas hundred during India’s second innings at The Oval. He crossed the 100-run mark in style with a gigantic six off Moeen Ali. At the start of the day ...
- India vs England: KL Rahul Fumes at Third Umpire a After Given Out; Incident Leaves Fans, Experts Polarisedon September 4, 2021 at 6:51 am
KL Rahul was not happy this morning when he was given out after he edged James Anderson. Rahul is not the kind of player who would show dissent with the umpire, but it was a classic case of ...
- India vs England fourth Test: Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul shine again as visitors reach 108 for 1 at lunchon September 4, 2021 at 5:31 am
KL Rahul wasn't happy about the decision as he gestured that the spike in ball tracker was his bat hitting the pad.
- India 108-1, edges into 9-run lead in 4th test vs. Englandon September 4, 2021 at 5:18 am
India edged into a nine-run lead after only losing KL Rahul before lunch on Day 3 of the fourth test against England that remained too close to call on Saturday. The tourists reached the interval on ...
- Ind Vs Eng, Live Cricket Score, 4th Test at Oval, Day 3: Rohit Sharma, Pujara Build India Leadon September 4, 2021 at 4:55 am
Check here India vs England 2021 Live Score, 4th Test, Day 3, The Oval: India aim to wipe out deficit and then stretch lead ...
- India vs England 4th Test: KL Rahul falls, but visitors gain slender lead at Ovalon September 4, 2021 at 4:30 am
KL Rahul might have lost his wicket to James Anderson, but Rohit Sharma and Cheteshwar Pujara ensured India did not fall behind in the opening session of the third day of the 4th Test.
- England vs India 2021: The Right Decision Was Made By The Umpire On KL Rahul’s Wicket – VVS Laxmanon September 4, 2021 at 2:55 am
Former Indian batsman VVS Laxman has opined that the third umpire made the right decision by giving KL Rahul out during the fourth Test between England and India at the Oval. In the lunch session on ...
- LIVE India vs England Live Cricket Score 4th Test Day 3 Match Updates: Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul Lead India's Fightbackon September 4, 2021 at 1:30 am
Check India vs England 2021 4th Test Day 3 Live Score, India vs England Live Streaming Online IND vs ENG - London: India vs England Check Live Cricket Score and Updates IND vs ENG 2021 India vs ...
- ENG vs IND Oval Test: Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul make steady start after England gain 99-run lead on Day 2on September 3, 2021 at 10:52 am
Ollie Pope top-scored with 81 off 159 balls while Chris Woakes hit a quickfire 50 to bolster the England total.
via Bing News