Subtle changes could act as early warning of need for care, U-M research suggests
A smartphone app that monitors subtle qualities of a person’s voice during everyday phone conversations shows promise for detecting early signs of mood changes in people with bipolar disorder, a University of Michigan team reports.
While the app still needs much testing before widespread use, early results from a small group of patients show its potential to monitor moods while protecting privacy.
The researchers hope the app will eventually give people with bipolar disorder and their health care teams an early warning of the changing moods that give the condition its name. The technology could also help people with other conditions.
More patients, all taking part in the study funded by the National Institute of Mental Health and facilitated by the Prechter Bipolar Research Fund at the U-M Depression Center, have already started to use the app on study-provided smartphones. As more patients volunteer, the team will continue to test and improve the technology.
The U-M team, led by computer scientists Zahi Karam, Ph.D. and Emily Mower Provost, Ph.D., and psychiatrist Melvin McInnis, M.D., presented its first findings today at the International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing in Italy, and published details simultaneously in the conference proceedings.
They call the project PRIORI, because they hope it will yield a biological marker to prioritize bipolar disorder care to those who need it most urgently to stabilize their moods – especially in regions of the world with scarce mental health services. Bipolar disorder affects tens of millions of people worldwide, and can have devastating effects including suicide.
But first, based on these encouraging findings, the technology and algorithms will be developed via research involving 60 American patients who receive treatment from U-M teams at the nation’s first center devoted to depression and related disorders.
“These pilot study results give us preliminary proof of the concept that we can detect mood states in regular phone calls by analyzing broad features and properties of speech, without violating the privacy of those conversations,” says Karam, a postdoctoral fellow and specialist in machine learning and speech analysis. “As we collect more data the model will become better, and our ultimate goal is to be able to anticipate swings, so that it may be possible to intervene early.”
Adds McInnis, a bipolar specialist, “This is tremendously exciting not only as a technical achievement, but also as an illustration of what the marriage of mental health research, engineering and innovative research funding can make possible.”
He adds, “The ability to predict mood changes with sufficient advance time to intervene would be an enormously valuable biomarker for bipolar disorder.”
The Latest on: Voice analysis
via Google News
The Latest on: Voice analysis
- Global Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Systems Market to Reach US$6.7 Billion by the Year 2026on January 17, 2022 at 4:30 am
Systems Market to Reach US$6. 7 Billion by the Year 2026 . Interactive Voice Response (IVR) operates as a telecommunication technology that facilitates interaction between a computer machine and human ...
- Global Voice and Speech Recognition Technology Market to Reach US$20.9 Billion by the Year 2026on January 17, 2022 at 4:25 am
Abstract: Global Voice and Speech Recognition Technology Market to Reach US$20. 9 Billion by the Year 2026 . Voice and speech recognition technology is emerging as the basis of advanced voice services ...
- The Voice of the Martyrs Calls Christians to Pray for Persecuted Chinese Believers During Winter Olympic Gameson January 17, 2022 at 4:03 am
Over the next few weeks the eyes of the world will turn toward Beijing and the 2022 Winter Olympic Games. Leading up to and during the Games, The Voice of the Martyrs is calling Christians to commit ...
- ValidSoft Recognized as a Global Voice Biometrics Leader in Opus Analysis on Intelligent Authentication and Fraud Preventionon January 13, 2022 at 6:54 am
ValidSoft, a transformative provider of voice identity and assurance solutions, has been recognized as a forward global leader for voice biometrics providers in the 2022 Opus Research Intelliview ...
- Artificial Intelligence Voice Market Trend, Future Demand, Analysis by Top Leading Player and Forecast Till2028| iFlyTek, Google, Appleon January 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
LOS ANGELES United States The research study presented in this report offers a complete and intelligent analysis of the competition segmentation dynamics and geographical advancement of the global ...
- Global Linear Voice Coil Motor Actuators Market 2021 Analysis Trend, Applications, Industry Chain Structure, Growth, and Forecast to 2027on January 11, 2022 at 1:53 pm
The research report proposed by MarketsandResearch.biz entitled Global Linear Voice Coil Motor Actuators Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 offers users ...
- Synaptics supplies on-device AI voice analysis for Lenovo tableton January 11, 2022 at 10:56 am
This provides tablet users a robust voice assistant experience and sets up future implementation of voice biometrics and other features.
- ANALYSIS: As AU turns 20, it must speak with one voiceon January 10, 2022 at 3:28 am
Following the election of two commissioners in October 2021, the new AU Commission is now fully operational and must show progress on implementing long-running reforms. The AU’s leadership in ...
- Intelligent Voice Assistant Market Overview | Competitive Dashboard, Segment Analysis, Global Trend, Growth and Strategies by 2022-2027on January 10, 2022 at 2:52 am
The ”Intelligent Voice Assistant Market” 2022 report majorly focuses on the newest developments that may enhance ...
- Voice Over Internet Protocol Services Market by Growth, Segments, Strategy, Review, Statistics, Global and Regional Analysis till 2027on January 5, 2022 at 11:23 pm
Voice Over Internet Protocol Services Market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 15.3% during the forecast period 2022 to 2027. Voice Over Internet Protocol Services Market study discusses new industry ...
via Bing News