These labs-on-a-chip would not only be quick—results are available in minutes—but also inexpensive and portable.
When you get sick, your physician may take a sample of your blood, send it to the lab and wait for results. In the near future, however, doctors may be able to run those tests almost instantly on a piece of plastic about the size of credit card.
These labs-on-a-chip would not only be quick—results are available in minutes—but also inexpensive and portable. They could be used miles from the nearest medical clinic to test for anything from HIV to diabetes. But as powerful as they may be, they could be far better, says Shiyan Hu, an associate professor of electrical and computer engineering at Michigan Technological University.
Generally, a lab-on-a-chip (LOC) can run no more than a test or two. That’s because the chips are designed manually, says Hu. If the LOC were made using computer-aided design, you could run dozens of tests with a single drop of blood.
“In a very short time, you could test for many conditions,” he said. “This really would be an entire lab on a chip.”
With PhD student Chen Liao, Hu has taken the first step. “We have developed software to design the hardware,” he said. Their work focuses on routing the droplet of blood or other fluid through each test on the chip efficiently while avoiding any chip contamination.
“It has taken us four years to do the software, but to manufacture the LOC would be inexpensive,” Hu said. “The materials are very cheap, and the results are more accurate than a conventional lab’s.”
Ultimately, Hu aims to fabricate their own biochip using their software.
The Latest on: Labs-on-a-chip
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Labs-on-a-chip” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Labs-on-a-chip
- Amazon slammed over silence on engineer in Hamas custody because company afraid to ‘hurt’ him: ‘It’s bulls—t’on November 30, 2023 at 7:51 pm
One of the Israeli hostages held captive by Hamas is an Amazon engineer who worked on recently unveiled software.
- Pine Labs launches new credit issuing stack for businesseson November 30, 2023 at 7:45 am
Currently, Credit+ has partnered with Mastercard and Visa, as it looks to launch other card network providers such as Amex and RuPay.
- Breakthrough Lab-on-a-Chip Can Be 3D-Printed in 30 Minuteson November 30, 2023 at 2:16 am
McGill University researchers have made a breakthrough in diagnostic technology, inventing a ‘lab on a chip’ that can be 3D-printed in just 30 minutes. The chip has the potential to make on-the-spot ...
- Miniature organs on chips could revolutionize health-care researchon November 29, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Labs often use commercially produced cell lines with genetically ... In 2010, they developed a “lung-on-chip” model that not only mimics the biological structure of lung cells, but also replicates the ...
- Google DeepMind AI Breakthrough Could Help Battery and Chip Developmenton November 29, 2023 at 2:14 pm
R esearchers at Google DeepMind have used artificial intelligence to predict the structures of more than 2 million new materials, in a breakthrough that could have wide-reaching benefits in sectors ...
- Made-to-order diagnostic tests may be on the horizon: Researchers invent lab on a chip that can be 3D-printed in minuteson November 29, 2023 at 1:20 pm
McGill University researchers have made a breakthrough in diagnostic technology, inventing a "lab on a chip" that can be 3D-printed in just 30 minutes. The chip has the potential to make on-the-spot ...
- Researchers advance 'placenta-on-a-chip' with sensing, imaging technologyon November 28, 2023 at 7:06 am
used their expertise in microfluidics to develop their initial placenta-on-a-chip, they weren’t sure about their model’s potential. “It was a completely innovative project for our lab,” Hashemi said. ...
- Inside the AI chip race: How a pivotal happy hour changed Amazon’s strategy in the cloudon November 27, 2023 at 12:05 pm
The foundation of Amazon's AI strategy is its custom chips, part of a silicon lineage that goes back to a fateful happy hour a decade ago.
- Onsemi opens chip test lab in Slovakiaon November 23, 2023 at 5:04 pm
The laboratory offers special equipment for the development and testing of upcoming silicon and silicon carbide semiconductor elements in cooperation with car manufacturers and suppliers, as the ...
- Breakthrough ‘Lab on a Chip’ Genetic Test Device Detects Viruses with Unprecedented Accuracy in Just Three Minuteson November 20, 2023 at 1:38 pm
A virus diagnosis device that gives lab-quality results within just three minutes has been invented by engineers at the University of Bath, who describe it as the ‘world’s fastest Covid test’.The prot ...
via Bing News