Solid storage is showing potential for holding hydrogen in a safe, stable and efficient way
Turning the “hydrogen economy” concept into a reality, even on a small scale, has been a bumpy road, but scientists are developing a novel way to store hydrogen to smooth out the long-awaited transition away from fossil fuels. Their report on a new solid, stable material that can pack in a large amount of hydrogen that can be used as a fuel appears in the ACS journal Chemistry of Materials.
Umit B. Demirci and colleagues explain that storing hydrogen in solids is a recent development and a promising step toward building a hydrogen economy. That’s the idea originated in the 1970s and promoted by former President George W. Bush that we replace fossil fuels with hydrogen, which can serve as a clean fuel. Although a promising alternative to conventional energy sources, hydrogen has posed a number of technological challenges that scientists are still overcoming. One of those issues has to do with storage. Previously, researchers were focused on developing hydrogen-containing liquids or compressing it in gas form. Now, solid storage is showing potential for holding hydrogen in a safe, stable and efficient way. In the latest development on this front, Demirci’s team looked to a new kind of material.
They figured out a way to make a novel crystal phase of a material containing lithium, boron and the key ingredient, hydrogen. To check how they could get the hydrogen back out of the material, the scientists heated it and found that it released hydrogen easily, quickly and only traces of unwanted by-products.
The Latest on: Hydrogen solid storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen solid storage
- SwRI projects receive $950,000 in funding from U.S. Department of Energyon January 26, 2021 at 6:13 am
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has awarded $950,000 in funding to three energy storage research projects led by Southwest Research Institute. SwRI will use novel materials and technologies to ...
- A plan for a carbon-neutral transportation system in Chinaon January 26, 2021 at 12:41 am
To achieve its 2060 goal, China will need to utilize hydrogen, ammonia, electrification and biofuels. And even then it will still have 15 percent to go.
- Steelmakers have decarbonization options ahead of hydrogen revolution: Lindeon January 24, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Linde’s gas applications technologies can support decarbonization, creating substantial immediate CO2 emission reductions rather than waiting simply on hydrogen to be used, he said at Steel Times ...
- How Hydrogen Could Power The Ultimate Batteryon January 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm
An Australian company has developed a promising new hydrogen battery that stores renewables energy for household usage ...
- What is green hydrogen, how is it made and will it be the fuel of the future?on January 22, 2021 at 12:34 pm
It's been identified as the clean energy source that could help bring the world to net-zero emissions, but green hydrogen's future is not yet assured.
- McDermott awarded liquid-hydrogen storage studyon January 22, 2021 at 7:49 am
McDermott International, Ltd. (Houston) announced that its CB&I Storage Solutions business has been awarded a study by a leading natural gas producer ...
- KBR to Provide Technical Solutions for SK Hydrogen Development Planon January 21, 2021 at 6:47 am
KBR recently received a contract from SK E&S to provide technical advisory services for SK Hydrogen Development Project in South Korea. According to the agreement, KBR will provide technical solutions ...
- Bloom, SunPower, Cummins: Hydrogen Economy Stocks To Watch As Biden Administration Takes Overon January 20, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Below is a bit more about the companies in our theme and how they fit into the broader picture of the Hydrogen Economy. Bloom Energy BE sells solid oxide fuel cell generators called Bloom Energy ...
- Why Nikola Stock Jumped, Then Dropped Todayon January 19, 2021 at 4:40 pm
Shares of Nikola (NASDAQ:NKLA) were up more than 5% Tuesday morning before giving up some of those gains. As of 2:15 p.m. EST, the stock had gained about 2.5%. The early jump wasn't just from typical ...
- Disruptive Innovations in Production, Storage and Transportation of Hydrogen - Foreseeing Challenges and Solutionson January 19, 2021 at 12:40 am
Hydrogen is a clean energy carrier that can ... in LOHC 5.3 Key Innovators and Product Developers of Hydrogen Storage in Solid Materials 5.4 Key Innovators and Product Developers in Hydrogen ...
via Bing News