A new discovery showing how hair growth activated fat tissue growth in the skin below the hair follicle could lead to the development of a cream to dissolve fat.
In particular, the protein that activated hair follicle growth was shown to also inhibit fat production.
The world first research confirmed that changes in the hair growth cycle led to fluctuations in the thickness of the underlying fat layer of the skin – essentially meaning that the skin can regulate fat production.
Professor Sinclair said these findings could potentially be used both as a means to replace fat lost in scar tissue or as a localised treatment for obesity.
“The specific chemicals identified in this study could be produced synthetically and used in creams for topical application to the skin to modulate growth of fat beneath the skin.”
“A cream could trim fat specifically where it was applied by ‘pausing’ the production of factors that contribute to fat cell growth.” he said.
The effect of changes in the fat tissue on the synchronised patterns of hair follicle growth has long been established.
“This is the first demonstration that the opposite also holds true in that the skin below the hair follicle can regulate the development of fat,” Professor Sinclair said.
This discovery could also affect future treatment of obesity, male and female pattern baldness and alopecia – male and female baldness – an autoimmune condition that affects one to two per cent of the general population at some stage in their life.
The Latest on: Obesity
via Google News
The Latest on: Obesity
- Sustained weight loss can help improve semen quality in men with obesityon May 23, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Men all over the world are suffering from deteriorating semen quality – often referred to as an outright fertility crisis.
- Obesity rate among 4 year olds in NZ continues downward slideon May 23, 2022 at 3:36 pm
However, one in three children in the age group are still considered overweight, a new University of Otago study shows.
- Lilly Announces Webcast to Provide Diabetes and Obesity Portfolio Update at ADAon May 23, 2022 at 2:27 pm
Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) will host a webcast on Tuesday, June 7, 2022 to discuss the company's diabetes and obesity portfolio and its presentations at the American Diabetes Association's 82nd ...
- Study shows men with obesity can double their sperm counton May 23, 2022 at 11:20 am
Men all over the world are suffering from deteriorating semen quality—often referred to as an outright fertility crisis.
- Men with obesity can double their sperm counton May 23, 2022 at 10:19 am
Now, however, there may be good news for some of the men who are experiencing problems. In a new clinical study, researchers from the University of Copenhagen and Hvidovre Hospita ...
- Jamie Oliver threatens ‘Eton Mess’ protest over obesity policy U-turnon May 23, 2022 at 8:02 am
Jamie Oliver has warned that he will stage an “Eton Mess” protest outside Downing Street if the government does not reconsider its U-turn over its anti-obesity strategy. The television chef threatened ...
- Which US state has the highest obesity rate?on May 23, 2022 at 6:42 am
Obesity has been rising in the US for years in what some now call a pandemic. Which states are most at risk and why is this the case?
- Pet Obesity Management Market Predicted By Top Players Like Pedigree, Blue Buffalo Co.,on May 23, 2022 at 4:04 am
An exceptional Pet Obesity Management market report takes into consideration diverse segments of the market analysis that today’s business ask for. The ...
- Smart changes that can help to tackle childhood obesityon May 20, 2022 at 11:22 pm
One of India s top bariatric surgeons and Professor Emeritus at the Sion Municipal Hospital in Mumbai, Dr Sanjay Borude suggests ways to prevent and manage weight issues in children through fitness ...
- Obesity stigma keeps many from life-saving cancer screening: Studyon May 19, 2022 at 10:42 am
Many people who are overweight or obese avoid cancer screening for fear of stigma and judgment about their weight, British researchers report.
via Bing News