KIT researchers have developed microstructured lightweight construction materials of highest stability.
Although their density is below that of water, their stability relative to their weight exceeds that of massive materials, such as high-performance steel or aluminum. The lightweight construction materials are inspired by the framework structure of bones and the shell structure of the bees’ honeycombs. The results are now presented in the journal PNAS, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1315147111.
“The novel lightweight construction materials resemble the framework structure of a half-timbered house with horizontal, vertical, and diagonal struts,” says Jens Bauer, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). “Our beams, however, are only 10 µm in size.” In total, the lightweight construction elements are about 50 µm long, wide, and high.
“Nature also uses open-pore, non-massive structures for carrying loads,” Oliver Kraft, KIT, explains. Examples are wood and bones. At the same density, however, the novel material produced in the laboratory can carry a much higher load. A very high stability was reached by a shell structure similar to the structure of honeycombs. It failed at a pressure of 28 kg/mm2 only and had a density of 810 kg/m3. This exceeds the stability / density ratio of bones, massive steel, or aluminum. The shell structure produced resembles a honeycomb with slightly curved walls to prevent buckling.
To produce the lightweight construction materials, 3D laser lithography was applied. Laser beams harden the desired microstructure in a photoresist. Then, this structure is coated with a ceramic material by gas deposition. The structures produced were subjected to compression via a die to test their stability.
Microstructured materials are often used for insulation or as shock absorbers. Open-pore materials may be applied as filters in chemical industry.
The Latest on: Lightweight construction materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Lightweight construction materials
- Here Are The Best Bras & Underwear Under $30 On Amazonon September 18, 2022 at 2:00 pm
But that doesn’t mean your underwear drawer should lack variety. In fact, it can be exciting to spice things up with new materials, cuts, or colors. This list has tons of options that feature chic ...
- Ukraine's troops have been highly effective with the M777 howitzer, but US troops can turn it into a 'giant sniper rifle'on September 18, 2022 at 8:35 am
The M777 is lighter and more accurate than other artillery pieces, but US troops also have a new targeting system that makes it even more precise.
- Best yoga mats 2022: Save money and add style with these best-selling yoga matson September 15, 2022 at 9:24 am
We’ve tried and tested the best yoga mats to help both experts and brand new yogis elevate their practice to the next level.
- Aerospace Materials Market Size to Surpass Around USD 67.42 BN by 2030on September 12, 2022 at 1:00 pm
The global aerospace materials market was reached at USD 36.42 billion in 2021 and is expected to surpass around USD 67.42 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 7.08% over the forecast period 2022 to ...
- Lightweight Acoustic Floor Systems Market is Expected to Display a CAGR of 6.7% During 2022 – 2032on September 5, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Noise is a harsh sound that can come from many different places. Noise pollution is said to be caused by a variety of sources, including noise from industrial machinery, noise in the workplace, noise ...
- Expert Tips for Choosing the Right Decking Materialson September 5, 2022 at 3:00 pm
Adding a deck to a property offers many benefits and can also increase the home's value. When it comes to choosing the building material, there are a few things homeowners should consider. Featured ...
- Additive Manufacturing & Materials Market is Poised to Grow at a CAGR of 25.7% during the Forecast Period of 2022-2031on September 5, 2022 at 6:27 am
The Global Additive Manufacturing & Materials Market was valued USD 16.07 billion in 2022 and is expected to register a CAGR of 25.7% over the forecast period. With rapid advancements in material ...
- Boston Materials Joins Trend of Building Sustainable Headquarterson September 2, 2022 at 6:07 am
Known for its patented Z-axis Fiber technology, a lightweight material with “significant energy dissipation properties that is produced from reclaimed carbon fiber,” Boston Materials enables ...
- Glass Bubbles Lightweight New TPE Compoundson August 31, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Expandable materials including TPE are therefore often used ... we have been able to develop formulations that not only meet current lightweight construction and quality requirements, but also open up ...
- Construction-Related Stocks See Risks and Opportunities Amid Tightening Carbon Policieson August 24, 2022 at 10:32 am
These include HVAC suppliers, lightweight building materials manufacturers, and real estate service providers. For instance, James Hardie Industries JHX, which has a Morningstar Economic Moat ...
via Bing News