KIT researchers have developed microstructured lightweight construction materials of highest stability.
Although their density is below that of water, their stability relative to their weight exceeds that of massive materials, such as high-performance steel or aluminum. The lightweight construction materials are inspired by the framework structure of bones and the shell structure of the bees’ honeycombs. The results are now presented in the journal PNAS, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1315147111.
“The novel lightweight construction materials resemble the framework structure of a half-timbered house with horizontal, vertical, and diagonal struts,” says Jens Bauer, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). “Our beams, however, are only 10 µm in size.” In total, the lightweight construction elements are about 50 µm long, wide, and high.
“Nature also uses open-pore, non-massive structures for carrying loads,” Oliver Kraft, KIT, explains. Examples are wood and bones. At the same density, however, the novel material produced in the laboratory can carry a much higher load. A very high stability was reached by a shell structure similar to the structure of honeycombs. It failed at a pressure of 28 kg/mm2 only and had a density of 810 kg/m3. This exceeds the stability / density ratio of bones, massive steel, or aluminum. The shell structure produced resembles a honeycomb with slightly curved walls to prevent buckling.
To produce the lightweight construction materials, 3D laser lithography was applied. Laser beams harden the desired microstructure in a photoresist. Then, this structure is coated with a ceramic material by gas deposition. The structures produced were subjected to compression via a die to test their stability.
Microstructured materials are often used for insulation or as shock absorbers. Open-pore materials may be applied as filters in chemical industry.
The Latest on: Lightweight construction materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Lightweight construction materials
- Automotive Lightweight Material Market to Observe Strong Development by 2031on May 7, 2021 at 8:06 am
The global automotive lightweight material market is forecast to witness a moderate growth rate of around 5% over the forecast period of 2020-2030. Growing demand for automotive lightweight material ...
- Armor Materials Market Research Report Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, And Future Trends By 2027on May 7, 2021 at 5:32 am
Allied Market Research recently published a report, titled, “Armor Materials Market by Material Type (Metals & Alloys, Ceramics, Composites, Para-Aramid Fibers, Ultra-high-molecular-weight ...
- This Patagonia jacket is incredibly warm, versatile, and so lightweight you can store it in its own front pocketon May 6, 2021 at 1:05 pm
The Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody is lightweight, warm, and stores in its own pocket. Here's why it's been my go-to packable jacket for nearly four years.
- Automotive Lightweight Material Market 2021: Industry Size, Share, Growth, Top Key Players, Regional Demand, Future Scenario and Forecast by 2027on May 6, 2021 at 3:37 am
Market Scope Market Research Future (MRFR) expects that the emergence of stringent government regulations pertaining to ...
- How Bcomp’s Sustainable Plant-Based Materials Are Challenging Carbon’s Performanceon May 5, 2021 at 3:58 am
Bcomp's sustainable materials challenge the performance of carbon-fiber and are getting the attention of automotive and marine industries keen to cut their CO2 emissions ...
- Europe Prefabricated Building Market Report 2021-2026: Turn-Key Solutions are Driving the Market Especially in Switzerland, Nordics, and the UKon May 4, 2021 at 4:45 am
The "Prefabricated Building Market in Europe - Industry Outlook and Forecast 2021-2026" report has been added to ...
- Lightweight wind turbines could bring hydrogen production homeon May 4, 2021 at 3:58 am
Members of the public could one day produce and use hydrogen at home thanks to lightweight, efficient wind turbines and safe storage tanks. Both technologies are under development in Germany, at a ...
- Introducing New HP Durable Foldable Document Material—Fold and hold!on May 4, 2021 at 3:05 am
HP introduces HP Durable Foldable Document Material, 3-in Core — a uniquely strong, yet flexible material that has amazing holding power. Once folded, documents lay flat and stay tightly folded with ...
- Honeycomb Core Materials Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis & Forecast 2020 – 2027 : Reports and Dataon May 3, 2021 at 1:37 pm
The latest study on Honeycomb Core Materials Market for the forecast period 2020 to 2027 blends in the best of both qualitative and quantitative research to assess the major driving forces, ...
- Advanced Carbon Material Market Size to Reach USD 6.39 Billion by 2027 : Reports and Dataon May 3, 2021 at 1:35 pm
The global Advanced Carbon Material market is forecast to reach USD 6.39 Billion by 2027, according to a new report by Reports and Data. Growing d ...
via Bing News