This discovery represents a major innovation
Researchers from the University of California, San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, in collaboration with materials scientists, engineers and neurobiologists, have discovered a new mechanism for using light to activate drug-delivering nanoparticles and other targeted therapeutic substances inside the body.
This discovery represents a major innovation, said Adah Almutairi, PhD, associate professor and director of the joint UC San Diego-KACST Center of Excellence in Nanomedicine. Up to now, she said, only a handful of strategies using light-triggered release from nanoparticles have been reported.
The mechanism, described in the April 1, 2014 online issue of ACS Nano, employs near-infrared (NIR) light from a low-power laser to heat pockets of water trapped within non-photo-responsive polymeric nanoparticles infused with drugs. The water pockets absorb the light energy as heat, which softens the encapsulating polymer and allows the drug to be released into the surrounding tissue. The process can be repeated multiple times, with precise control of the amount and dispersal of the drug.
“A key advantage of this mechanism is that it should be compatible with almost any polymer, even those that are commercially available,” said Mathieu Viger, a post-doctoral fellow in Almutairi’s laboratory and co-lead author of the study. “We’ve observed trapping of water within particles composed of all the biodegradable polymers we’ve so far tested.”
The method, noted Viger, could thus be easily adopted by many biological laboratories.
The combined use of hydrated polymers and near-infrared light appears to resolve a host of technological and health barriers that have hindered previous, similar approaches. Earlier efforts to use NIR-triggered release have not been widely exploited because they required special designer polymers, expensive high-powered lasers and/or the co-encapsulation of inorganic particles whose safety in the body remains questionable.
The new method described by Almutairi and colleagues in the departments of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Neuroscience, and Chemistry and Biochemistry at UC San Diego uses NIR at a vibrational wavelength cued to excite water molecules, which absorb the optical energy and convert it to heat. NIR is capable of penetrating biological tissues to greater depths than visible or ultraviolet light.
Co-lead author Wangzhong Sheng, a graduate student in Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, explained the selectivity of heating by comparing the trapped water within particles to a glass of water and the surrounding water within the solution or tissue to a bathtub. The smaller amount of water is heated much more rapidly because of the enormous volume difference.
An obvious use of the method, said Almutairi, is light-triggered drug delivery, but with more research, she anticipates the new method could provide a variety of industrial, medical and scientific applications, including “any technological application requiring that chemistry be controlled in time and in space, such as in catalysis or self-repairing materials or light-activated sunscreens or pesticide dosing.”
The Latest on: Drug delivery
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug delivery
- Cybin Files an International Patent Application Covering Psychedelic Delivery Methodson October 12, 2021 at 4:00 am
Cybin Inc. ( NEO:CYBN) (NYSE AMERICAN:CYBN) (" Cybin " or the " Company "), a biotechnology company focused on progressing psychedelic therapeutics, today announced that it has filed an international ...
- Oral Controlled Release Drug Delivery Technology Market Demand, Supply, Growth Factors, Latest Rising Trend and Forecast to 2027on October 12, 2021 at 4:00 am
Future Market Insights (FMI), in its report, projects the global oral controlled release drug delivery technology market to register an impressive expansion at 7.2% CAGR during the forecast period ...
- XPhyto Reports Development Update for its Drug Delivery Businesson October 12, 2021 at 12:05 am
Rotigotine transdermal skin patch optimization and pivotal study planning underway * Rotigotine patch manufacturing, sales and marketing in preparation * Cannabinoid oral dissolvable film (ODF) ...
- Global and United States Connected Injectable Drug Delivery Devices Market Insights, Forecast to 2027on October 11, 2021 at 2:48 pm
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global and United States Connected Injectable Drug Delivery Devices Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 report by QYResearch Group. Connected Injectable Drug Delivery ...
- Rutgers Award-Winning Invention Aims to Reinvent Drug Deliveryon October 11, 2021 at 6:17 am
The device was created by students of the Rutgers Honors College–New Brunswick to revolutionize the technology of targeted nutrient and drug delivery for infants A group of former Rutgers students who ...
- Celsion GmbH Announces the Publication of an Article Reviewing the History of ThermoDox® Drug Development in Advanced Drug Delivery Reviewson October 11, 2021 at 6:05 am
The article’s authors noted that ThermoDox ® is the first heat-activated formulation of a liposomal drug carrier to be utilized in human clinical trials. According to Dr. Borys, “As our recent paper ...
- Asia Pacific Drug Delivery Devices Market to growing at a CAGR of 7.8% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2027.on October 10, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Asia Pacific drug delivery devices market is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2027 Data Bridge Market Research analyses the market to growing at a CAGR of 7 8 in the ...
- Global Advanced Parenteral Drug Delivery Market Shares are on a tear, growing at a rapid rate between 2021 and 2028on October 7, 2021 at 8:20 am
Global Advanced Parenteral Drug Delivery market is estimated to reach $XX Million by 2025; growing at a CAGR of XX% till 2025. Get Exclusive FREE PDF Report Copy : This report by Esticast Research ...
- Nanotechnology Drug Delivery Market 2021: Major Manufacturers, Market Dynamics, Industry Trends, Share, Size and Forecast to 2026on October 7, 2021 at 3:36 am
Global “Nanotechnology Drug Delivery Market” research report provides deep insight into the current and future state of ...
- Advanced Drug Delivery Systems Market 2021: Top Players, Segment, Industry Share, Size, Development Strategy, Growth Opportunities till 2026on October 7, 2021 at 3:36 am
Global “Advanced Drug Delivery Systems Market” research report provides deep insight into the current and future state ...
via Bing News