Engineers at the University of California, San Diego, have created new ceramic materials that could be used to store hydrogen safely and efficiently.
The researchers have created for the first time compounds made from mixtures of calcium hexaboride, strontium and barium hexaboride. They also have demonstrated that the compounds could be manufactured using a simple, low-cost manufacturing method known as combustion synthesis.
The work is at the proof of concept stage and is part of a $1.2 million project funded by the National Science Foundation, a collaboration between UC San Diego, Alfred University in upstate New York and the University of Nevada, Reno. The manufacturing process for the ceramics is faster and simpler than traditional methods used to manufacture these types of materials. The researchers presented their work in March 2014 at the third International Symposium on Nanoscience and Nanomaterials in Mexico.
“We are looking for solid materials that can store and release hydrogen easily,” said Olivia Graeve, a professor at the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego, who has gained international recognition as a nanomaterials manufacturing expert. Storing hydrogen has become increasingly important as hydrogen fuel cells become more popular power sources in industry and elsewhere. But hydrogen, the lightest element on the periodic table, is difficult to store. It tends to diffuse through the walls of pressurized tanks. It also needs to be compressed in order to occupy manageable amounts of space when stored.
The resulting ceramics are essentially crystalline structures in a cage of boron. To store hydrogen, the researchers would swap the calcium, strontium and boron with hydrogen atoms within the cage.
Engineers mixed boron with metal nitrates and organic fuels, such as urea, in a box furnace at temperatures below 400 degrees Celsius—roughly 750 degrees Fahrenheit—cooler than a commercial pizza oven. The nitrates and organic fuels ignite, generating heat that then drives the reaction without the need for an external source of power. This method is known as combustion synthesis.
“It’s a very simple, nice process,” Graeve explained.
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
- Toyota expands its hydrogen combustion tech to the GR Yarison December 3, 2021 at 12:19 pm
We've seen this in the Corolla Sport Super Taikyu race car, and this seems to indicate a level of seriousness about making the tech viable for production that should get enthusiasts really excited.
- Global Hydrogen Storage Cylinders for Fuel Cell Vehicles Market Growth 2021-2026on December 3, 2021 at 5:25 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Hydrogen Storage Cylinders for Fuel Cell Vehicles Market Growth 2021-2026 report by LP Information INC. According to this latest study, the 2021 growth of ...
- Hydrogen has strong potential as energy source in state, according to task force reporton December 2, 2021 at 9:00 pm
The report lays out a vision of how to focus efforts for the economic development of hydrogen as a fuel source for transportation, industrial, commercial and other sources.
- Global Rare Earth Hydrogen Storage Materials Market 2021 Key Players Insights, Growth Challenges and Forecast to 2027on December 1, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Global Rare Earth Hydrogen Storage Materials Market Research Report 2021-2027 is an upcoming study announced by MarketandResearch.biz. This study provides market statistics data for all the segments ...
- Global Hydrogen Storage Alloy Market 2021 Emerging Trend, Top Companies, Industry Demand, Business Review and Regional Analysis by 2027on December 1, 2021 at 12:12 pm
A recently uploaded market research study on Global Hydrogen Storage Alloy Market Research Report 2021-2027 from MarketandResearch.biz focuses on industry growth, market scope, development trends, as ...
- Want Long-Term Energy Storage? Look to Hydrogenon November 30, 2021 at 8:43 pm
The power industry has been all abuzz lately about the potential role hydrogen could play in decarbonizing the energy sector. POWER was quick to notice the excitement surrounding hydrogen, and launche ...
- Sinopec starts world's largest green hydrogen planton November 30, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Construction began on Tuesday on the world's largest green hydrogen project, generated from solar energy, in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, to aid China's move toward sustainable energy, said ...
- Sea Change Completes US' First Hydrogen Refuelingon November 30, 2021 at 11:00 am
The world’s first hydrogen fueling of a commercial marine vessel was successfully completed, and the vessel is now beginning ...
- The Hydrogen Stream: EU aims for €1.80/kg by 2030, BP announces green and blue hydrogen production in the UKon November 30, 2021 at 7:03 am
Also, Petroleum Development Oman wants to become the main player in the country’s plans to become a hydrogen hub and Emirates Global Aluminium says it wants to increase its hydrogen consumption.
- Fraunhofer IPT develops thermoplastic composites in hydrogen storage, engine blades and moreon November 29, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Active in laser-assisted tape winding and in-situ consolidation of thermoplastic composites since 1988, the IPT in Aachen, Germany continues to push new materials, applications and Composites 4.0 ...
via Bing News