The Elio is technically a motorcycle, but is a whole lot easier and safer to drive.
Most Americans–about 93%–drive to work alone. So why use a car that’s big enough for four? A new vehicle that’s half-motorcycle and half-car is designed to replace sedans and SUVs on morning commutes and help save money and emissions in the process: The Elio costs $6,800 and gets 84 miles to the gallon. It’s possible to drive 672 miles on a single tank of gas. That’s the distance from New York City to Detroit.
“The premise behind the concept is that most households have at least one vehicle that’s single occupant,” says Paul Elio, founder of Elio Motors. “Even if you have kids, you probably have an SUV or minivan, and then a small sedan with dust on the backseat. We can be that car.”
The Elio actually has two seats, set front to back for ideal aerodynamics, in case the driver needs to give someone a ride. Inside, it looks and acts pretty much like a car; it’s fully enclosed and has car seats and seatbelts, air bags, and options for manual or automatic transmission. It’s more like a car than this somewhat similar vehicle from Lit Motors. But because it has three wheels, it’s classified under law as a motorcycle.
The motorcycle classification leads to some strange consequences–in a few states, under current law, you’d have to wear a helmet even though the vehicle is enclosed. But it also has benefits. “As a motorcycle, you can go in the HOV lane by yourself,” Elio says. It also meant the vehicle can come to market more quickly, since there’s less red tape involved in manufacturing a motorcycle.
Even though regulations don’t require it, the company plans to comply with all standards for cars that apply. “We’re engineering to achieve a 5-star crash rating in all directions,” Elio says. “We’re going way beyond the minimum.” Still, there are a few idiosyncrasies–the headlights, for example, can’t comply with car standards because motorcycle lights are required to be brighter by law.
The Latest on: Three-Wheeled Car
via Google News
The Latest on: Three-Wheeled Car
- The Ten Best Cheap Cars On Sale Todayon October 14, 2021 at 1:28 pm
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a good set of wheels, and sometimes a cheap car can be just as much fun to drive as something twice its price. Hot hatchbacks have historically given owners ...
- India Car Sales Fall Over 30% Amid Chip Crunch, Rising Costs A Worry: SIAMon October 14, 2021 at 11:37 am
Sales of cars and utility vehicles fell for the second straight month in September amid a global semiconductor crunch.
- Festive discounts announced on these Datsun cars in Indiaon October 14, 2021 at 10:56 am
In order to increase sales during the festive season, Datsun India has introduced benefits of up to Rs. 40,000 on its entire product range, includi ...
- ‘Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy’ Review: What We Talk Abouton October 14, 2021 at 10:10 am
In three stories, men and women circle one another as they casually and cruelly share intimacies, express desires and voice doubts.
- Solid-state battery safety, Aptera “never charge” details, Lucid as Tesla rival: Today’s Car Newson October 14, 2021 at 8:55 am
Solid-state cells pass some first tests for safety. Jay Leno drives the high-mileage Aptera solar EV. And we take a look at what shapes Lucid up, potentially, to become the most direct rival yet to ...
- "Hot Wheels Unleashed" is a ride down nostalgia lane, but a bumpy oneon October 14, 2021 at 7:05 am
Ever since I stumbled across “Burnout Paradise” for the PlayStation 3 more than a decade ago, I’ve been hooked on arcade racers. With a focus on drifting around corners and ...
- How to Score 5 Iconic '90s Cars for $35, the Hot Wheels Wayon October 14, 2021 at 5:22 am
Curing addiction is not an easy thing to do. Especially if it's the kind of soft addiction, that isn't harmful to your life. Sure, spending hundreds of dollars on diecast vehicles may look like a bad ...
- Tesla Model 3 is now the quickest-selling used car and sometimes even sells for higher price than newon October 14, 2021 at 4:39 am
The Tesla Model 3 is now considered the best-selling used car in the US, and it is so popular that it even sometimes sells for higher prices than new. The current chip shortage affecting the auto ...
- The Three-Wheeled Aptera EV Is One Of The Weirdest Cars That Jay Leno Has Drivenon October 13, 2021 at 2:03 pm
Depending on configuration, the Aptera 3 EV can travel more than 1,000 miles on a single charge and hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds.
- ‘Drive My Car’ and ‘Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy’ Filmmaker Ryusuke Hamaguchi Explores the Upside of Getting Lost in Translationon October 13, 2021 at 8:30 am
Japanese auteur Ryūsuke Hamaguchi reflects on his big year, the power of acting, and the lie that lets him get away with five-hour films.
via Bing News