In a departure from ‘blue sky thinking’ scientists in Britain have developed solar panels that work better on a cloudy day.
Their material is as thin and flexible as cloth, and can be made in any colour and printed in sheets on a 3D printer.
Although the technology is still at development stage, researchers hope that in future it could be used to make coats or bags which could charge phones or laptops or keep the wearer warm.
It is so lightweight that it could also be fitted to homes cheaply without the need to reinforce roofs and would be virtually invisible so homeowners would not be forced to put up with the eyesore of solar panels.
Car manufactures Fiat and Ford are also testing it to see if it could be added to car roofs to charge electrical circuits and avoid flat batteries.
Traditional solar cells are made of semi-conductors such as crystalline silicon. When light strikes the cell some of the energy is absorbed and knocks electrons loose in the silicon which can be forced into a current and drawn off for external use.
The new technology use small organic molecules as semi conductors which can be dissolved in a solution and printed in any shape using a 3D printer.
Most photovoltaics work best in strong, direct, sunlight of an intensity that is rarely seen in northern European countries.
But intriguingly the new material – known as organic photovoltaic – works more efficiently when out of direct sunlight, so is well suited for Britain’s inclement weather.
Scientists discovered that when testing it in direct sunlight desert conditions it could only manage 10 per cent efficiency, but in cloudy conditions that jumped to 13 per cent.
Dr Fernando Castro, principal research scientists at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, said: “Organic photovoltaics work much better in low and diffused light conditions. Even if it’s cloudy they still work.
“It’s not that they are going to produce more power but they are more efficient at generating power from the light that is available. So they would work better than normal soar cells do in cloud.”
The material would be cheaper and more environmentally friendly than traditional solar cells, slashing the cost of installing them on homes.
The Latest on: Solar panels
[google_news title=”” keyword=”solar panels” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar panels
- Solar and wind lead rapid expansion of new global energy economy: IEAon June 3, 2023 at 9:44 am
Global additions of renewable power capacity are expected to jump by a third this year as growing policy momentum, higher fossil fuel prices and energy security ...
- Homeowner finds clever way to sidestep his HOA’s strict solar panel rules: ‘[HOAs] can be brutal’on June 3, 2023 at 5:15 am
"If you put in the wrong color mailbox, they practically want to put you in jail.” Homeowner finds clever way to sidestep his HOA’s strict solar panel rules: ‘[HOAs] can be brutal’ first appeared on ...
- Prime Energy Solar: The Benefits of Converting to Solar Energyon June 2, 2023 at 2:41 pm
Solar energy has become more popular in recent years. Today it’s commonplace to drive through a neighborhood and see solar panels on many rooftops. CT Style Host Natasha ...
- Scientists Successfully Transmit Space-Based Solar Power to Earth for the First Timeon June 2, 2023 at 12:30 pm
The California Institute of Technology has big news for space-based power. Researchers at the university have reportedly beamed solar power from space to Earth without a single wire—and they say it’s ...
- Think of solar panels more like apple trees: We need a fairer approach for what we use and sell, says researcheron June 2, 2023 at 9:20 am
As we race to decarbonize by electrifying everything, solar panels—now cheaper per square meter than marine-grade plywood—will do much of the heavy lifting. But if we don't rethink how our rooftop ...
- A Breakthrough Model For Solar: Meet The Startup Democratizing The Energy Revolutionon June 2, 2023 at 8:15 am
In the last decade, it’s become 10x cheaper and it’s one of the fastest growing energy classes today with solar panel installed capacity set to surpass all other ...
- Space-based solar power a step closer after successful experimenton June 2, 2023 at 5:24 am
Beaming energy in the form of microwaves makes it possible to power up even the remotest areas on the planet without the need for transmission infrastructure.
- The debt-ceiling bill that just passed the Senate eases the way for a new gas pipeline — and for clean energy projects like EV charging and solar panelson June 2, 2023 at 3:00 am
One of the bipartisan compromises in the debt-ceiling bill could make it easier to build energy projects in the US — both clean and fossil fuel.
- Coggeshall: Council to refuse solar panels bid due to 'aesthetics'on June 1, 2023 at 10:12 pm
A 78-year-old man says he feels he is being "penalised" for trying to make his home more energy efficient by installing solar panels. Barry Thompson applied for solid wall insulation and six panels ...
- Renewable energy surges, driven by solar boom and high fuel prices, report findson June 1, 2023 at 6:49 am
The world is set to add a record amount of renewable electricity capacity this year as governments and consumers seek to offset high energy prices and take advantage of a boom in solar power ...
via Bing News