In a departure from ‘blue sky thinking’ scientists in Britain have developed solar panels that work better on a cloudy day.
Their material is as thin and flexible as cloth, and can be made in any colour and printed in sheets on a 3D printer.
Although the technology is still at development stage, researchers hope that in future it could be used to make coats or bags which could charge phones or laptops or keep the wearer warm.
It is so lightweight that it could also be fitted to homes cheaply without the need to reinforce roofs and would be virtually invisible so homeowners would not be forced to put up with the eyesore of solar panels.
Car manufactures Fiat and Ford are also testing it to see if it could be added to car roofs to charge electrical circuits and avoid flat batteries.
Traditional solar cells are made of semi-conductors such as crystalline silicon. When light strikes the cell some of the energy is absorbed and knocks electrons loose in the silicon which can be forced into a current and drawn off for external use.
The new technology use small organic molecules as semi conductors which can be dissolved in a solution and printed in any shape using a 3D printer.
Most photovoltaics work best in strong, direct, sunlight of an intensity that is rarely seen in northern European countries.
But intriguingly the new material – known as organic photovoltaic – works more efficiently when out of direct sunlight, so is well suited for Britain’s inclement weather.
Scientists discovered that when testing it in direct sunlight desert conditions it could only manage 10 per cent efficiency, but in cloudy conditions that jumped to 13 per cent.
Dr Fernando Castro, principal research scientists at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, said: “Organic photovoltaics work much better in low and diffused light conditions. Even if it’s cloudy they still work.
“It’s not that they are going to produce more power but they are more efficient at generating power from the light that is available. So they would work better than normal soar cells do in cloud.”
The material would be cheaper and more environmentally friendly than traditional solar cells, slashing the cost of installing them on homes.
The Latest on: Solar panels
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar panels
- Clean Energy In The News - Solar Integrated Roofing (OTC: $SIRC) Appoints Dr. Philip Yin As Chief Operating Officer Of USA Solar Networkson August 5, 2022 at 2:40 am
Dr. Yin brings over 30 years of executive management experience to USA Solar Networks. Dr. Yin has had a distinguished career as an executive in the compound semiconductor and semiconductor industries ...
- Solar-plus-storage for LED lighting in commercial buildingson August 5, 2022 at 2:18 am
Indian researchers claim that commercial buildings with LED lighting could gain energy independence by installing standalone solar-plus-storage systems. They said a 914.4 kW PV system linked to ...
- Gerald Winegrad: Tips to not be an energy hogging American | COMMENTARYon August 5, 2022 at 1:59 am
You can use federal purchase rebates and HOV lanes. My wife’s 2018 Toyota Prius Prime plugs into our outdoor socket with solar power fueling most of our driving. The result: 135 mpg. My 2009 Toyota ...
- Best Solar-Powered Generator 2022: GRECELL Portable Power Station 1000Won August 5, 2022 at 1:23 am
Whether at home or on the road, keep all of your devices charged with the GRECELL Portable Power Station 1000W.
- Optimizing O&M strategy key for 35 year solar assetson August 5, 2022 at 1:11 am
Engineering, procurement and construction companies must take special steps to ensure that PV plants operate reliably and efficiently. Japan’s ORIX Renewable Energy Management (OREM) is one such ...
- Get nearly $100 off this solar generator kiton August 5, 2022 at 1:00 am
If you’re looking for an affordable option, consider this Generark Solar Generator for $1,499. This kit comes with a HomePower ONE backup power station and two SolarPower ONE panels. Access to ...
- Nigeria: Solar Power Will Contribute to Solving Nigeria's Electricity Problem - Buharion August 4, 2022 at 11:55 pm
He commended the interest of the US developer to invest in Nigeria's power sector. President Muhammadu Buhari Thursday in Abuja declared that the rapid integration of solar power into the country's ...
- Solar Energy Market in Japan to record 505.27 TWh growth -- Driven by high electricity demandon August 4, 2022 at 10:05 pm
The "Solar Energy Market in Japan by End-user and Application - Forecast and Analysis 2022-2026" report by Technavio expects the market size to grow by 505.28 terawatt-hours ...
- Rio Tinto Attracts Several Proposls To Build 4 GW Of Wind, Solar Poweron August 4, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Global miner Rio Tinto has received several offers to build 4 gigawatts (GW) of wind and solar farms to power its alumina and aluminium operations in Australia's Queensland state, the company's ...
- Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy backs Terabase’s robot-built solar farmson August 4, 2022 at 1:20 pm
Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a climate-focused VC firm linked to some of Earth’s wealthiest individuals, has joined a $44 million bet on solar startup Terabase Energy. Terabase aims to rapidly build ...
via Bing News