In a departure from ‘blue sky thinking’ scientists in Britain have developed solar panels that work better on a cloudy day.
Their material is as thin and flexible as cloth, and can be made in any colour and printed in sheets on a 3D printer.
Although the technology is still at development stage, researchers hope that in future it could be used to make coats or bags which could charge phones or laptops or keep the wearer warm.
It is so lightweight that it could also be fitted to homes cheaply without the need to reinforce roofs and would be virtually invisible so homeowners would not be forced to put up with the eyesore of solar panels.
Car manufactures Fiat and Ford are also testing it to see if it could be added to car roofs to charge electrical circuits and avoid flat batteries.
Traditional solar cells are made of semi-conductors such as crystalline silicon. When light strikes the cell some of the energy is absorbed and knocks electrons loose in the silicon which can be forced into a current and drawn off for external use.
The new technology use small organic molecules as semi conductors which can be dissolved in a solution and printed in any shape using a 3D printer.
Most photovoltaics work best in strong, direct, sunlight of an intensity that is rarely seen in northern European countries.
But intriguingly the new material – known as organic photovoltaic – works more efficiently when out of direct sunlight, so is well suited for Britain’s inclement weather.
Scientists discovered that when testing it in direct sunlight desert conditions it could only manage 10 per cent efficiency, but in cloudy conditions that jumped to 13 per cent.
Dr Fernando Castro, principal research scientists at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, said: “Organic photovoltaics work much better in low and diffused light conditions. Even if it’s cloudy they still work.
“It’s not that they are going to produce more power but they are more efficient at generating power from the light that is available. So they would work better than normal soar cells do in cloud.”
The material would be cheaper and more environmentally friendly than traditional solar cells, slashing the cost of installing them on homes.
The Latest on: Solar panels
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar panels
- NextEnergy Solar Fund snaps up twin solar assets with 15-year power purchase agreementson March 1, 2021 at 1:54 am
When the second of the two assets is energised, it will increase NESF's solar portfolio to 93 assets and 863MW ...
- Spacewalking astronauts prep station for new solar wingson March 1, 2021 at 1:49 am
Spacewalking astronauts ventured out Sunday to install support frames for new, high-efficiency solar panels arriving at the International Space Station later this year.
- ENGIE acquires 100 MW Concentrated Solar Power plant in South Africaon March 1, 2021 at 12:41 am
ENGIE ( is pleased to announce that it has reached an agreement to acquire from Abengoa a 40% equity stake in Xina Solar One, a ...
- Astronauts begin solar power system upgradeson February 28, 2021 at 5:07 pm
On Sunday, two NASA astronauts stepped into space, working outside the International Space Station for six hours installing new upgrades to the station’s 20-year-old solar power system.
- Astronauts Install Support Frames On International Space Station For New Solar Panelson February 28, 2021 at 3:05 pm
On Sunday, two astronauts installed support frames on the International Space Station for new solar panels arriving later this year.
- MREA is trying to get Wisconsin schools to use solar energyon February 28, 2021 at 2:25 pm
The Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA) is trying to get as many Wisconsin schools to go solar as possible.It is an effort to help lower carbon emissions and cost of energy ...
- Spacewalking astronauts prepare International Space Station for new solar arrayson February 28, 2021 at 12:44 pm
Two spacewalking astronauts began preparing (ISS) for new solar arrays on Sunday (Feb. 28), battling tough bolts to kick off a major power upgrade for the orbiting lab. Expedition 64 flight engineers ...
- Granite Geek: It’s like a barn raising except with solar panelson February 28, 2021 at 12:26 pm
New Hampshire has long been a laggard when it comes to solar power. Maybe we need some banjos.“We’ve had fiddlers and guitar players at one of the raisers,” said Chris Kolb, president of a volunteer ...
- Spacewalking astronauts prep International Space Station for new solar panel wingson February 28, 2021 at 12:15 pm
Spacewalking astronauts have installed support frames at the International Space Station for new solar panels arriving later this year.
- Duke Energy’s Solar Plan Challenged At Florida Supreme Courton February 28, 2021 at 12:05 pm
A Duke Energy Florida plan that would add 10 solar-power plants faces a challenge at the state Supreme Court. Duke has dubbed it the “Clean Energy Connection Program.” ...
via Bing News