Oriol Cusola, a 29-year-old researcher from Lleida, has patented a new aqueous compound to functionalise or modify the properties of paper and any other cellulosic material.
The compound uses natural enzymes instead of the traditional chemical reagents, is biodegradable, and involves no environmental impact. Most important, it is easily applicable in the production process and requires no additional investment.
This major technological innovation will greatly facilitate the creation of new paper products with high added value. So far, the company applying the new product is able to make waterproof paper in an alternative way using biotechnology and without using the common chemicals that hinder recycling. By means of a single application, the new product makes paper multifunctional or gives it several properties, such as being hydrophobic and antioxidant or acting as a barrier.
Waterproof paper without chemical reagents
Though companies are keen to invest in biotechnology, the introduction of enzymatic treatments that modify paper in order to create new products from cellulose is complex and costly. To generate the enzymatic reaction, the production must be stopped at a particular stage in the industrial process. The new compound patented by Cusola adheres to the surface of the paper and instantly modifies its properties. It can be applied immediately within current manufacturing systems without stopping the production line.
Cusola and the CelBiotech paper research group of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya BarcelonaTech (UPC) have done specific work on making paper hydrophobic and their new patented compound allows paper to be waterproofed without using conventional chemical reagents.
The group have also experimented with cellulose-based textiles to check the effectiveness of the new product. One of the results is that they were able to make a baby’s bib waterproof on one side by spraying it with the product.
A revolution in the paper industry
On the market there are currently about 2,900 different types of special papers that are not used for writing. At a time of growth of electronic publications, the trend in the international paper industry is to seek to modify or functionalise the properties of cellulose to generate new uses and new applications. Examples are giving paper the properties of plastics and other petroleum products to manufacture biodegradable food cartons; making paper antioxidant so that it can keep food for longer; changing paper’s properties to make it sufficiently waterproof for manufacturing cups without adding paraffin; and adding antibacterial substances to produce infection-proof dressings.
The Latest on: Waterproof paper
via Google News
The Latest on: Waterproof paper
- Amazon Keeps Selling Out Of These 45 Home Improvement Products With Near-Perfect Reviewson October 9, 2021 at 4:00 am
With a little planning and effort, you can give your home a modern update for less than a few hundred dollars. The trick is to find affordable products that are genuinely worth the price tag. But if ...
- Scientists Found That 82% of Waterproof Mascaras Have Toxic Chemicals in Them — Here's What to Shop Insteadon October 7, 2021 at 7:00 pm
After testing more than 200 cosmetics, including concealers, foundations, eye and eyebrow products and various lip products, scientists found that 52 percent of all the cosmetics they tested contained ...
- Destiny Roofing awarded Depot roofing projecton October 7, 2021 at 3:00 pm
The Wagoner City Council has awarded Destiny Roofing, out of Wagoner, to replace the roof on the historic, 125-year-old Katy train depot.
- 10 Comfortable Rain Boots That Are Actually Stylish—All on Sale at Zapposon October 5, 2021 at 2:53 pm
The retailer has an entire section dedicated to boots with reduced prices, including rain boots. And these aren't your standard all-black pair of galoshes. Fortunately, like the style evolution of ...
- Kobo Sage ereader has a big advantage Kindle doesn’t offeron October 5, 2021 at 12:09 pm
Kobo has a pair of new ereaders to ween you off your Kindle, and if you’ve been looking for reasons to ditch Amazon then the Kobo Sage’s stylus support might be it. The new E Ink model ...
- 47 clever things that'll instantly make you like your home a lot moreon October 3, 2021 at 10:30 am
We've all been spending a lot more time inside our homes. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing. In your own space, you get to make the rules — including what you put in it. Whether it's an ...
- Solvent Waterproof Coating Industry 2021 Major Growth Drivers, Applications, Market Size, Production Cost And Forecasts 2027on September 30, 2021 at 1:20 am
Intelligencemarketreport com Publish a New Market Research Report on Solvent Waterproof Coating Market Global Research Report 2021 2027 The Solvent Waterproof Coating research report is intended to ...
- Review: the Matador Freerain24 waterproof packable backpack is a minor league champ in a major league worldon September 27, 2021 at 9:04 am
That’s why I wanted to get my hands on one of Matador’s waterproof backpacks. Matador specializes in lightweight, waterproof products. I somehow came across a pitch for the Matador Freerain24 ...
- Can You Really Make a “Shower Thoughts” Notepad Totally Waterproof? We Put This One to the Teston September 23, 2021 at 11:46 am
You know those random thoughts, ideas and sudden memories you have while taking a shower? Some thoughts are better off washed down the drain, but others are pertinent enough to write down!
- Waterproof Art Printing Paper Market May Set New Growth Story | Relyco, TerraSlate Paper, Purelypaperon September 16, 2021 at 10:08 pm
Latest Market Research on“Waterproof Art Printing Paper Market” is now released to provide hidden gems performance analysis in recent years and ...
via Bing News