Oriol Cusola, a 29-year-old researcher from Lleida, has patented a new aqueous compound to functionalise or modify the properties of paper and any other cellulosic material.
The compound uses natural enzymes instead of the traditional chemical reagents, is biodegradable, and involves no environmental impact. Most important, it is easily applicable in the production process and requires no additional investment.
This major technological innovation will greatly facilitate the creation of new paper products with high added value. So far, the company applying the new product is able to make waterproof paper in an alternative way using biotechnology and without using the common chemicals that hinder recycling. By means of a single application, the new product makes paper multifunctional or gives it several properties, such as being hydrophobic and antioxidant or acting as a barrier.
Waterproof paper without chemical reagents
Though companies are keen to invest in biotechnology, the introduction of enzymatic treatments that modify paper in order to create new products from cellulose is complex and costly. To generate the enzymatic reaction, the production must be stopped at a particular stage in the industrial process. The new compound patented by Cusola adheres to the surface of the paper and instantly modifies its properties. It can be applied immediately within current manufacturing systems without stopping the production line.
Cusola and the CelBiotech paper research group of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya BarcelonaTech (UPC) have done specific work on making paper hydrophobic and their new patented compound allows paper to be waterproofed without using conventional chemical reagents.
The group have also experimented with cellulose-based textiles to check the effectiveness of the new product. One of the results is that they were able to make a baby’s bib waterproof on one side by spraying it with the product.
A revolution in the paper industry
On the market there are currently about 2,900 different types of special papers that are not used for writing. At a time of growth of electronic publications, the trend in the international paper industry is to seek to modify or functionalise the properties of cellulose to generate new uses and new applications. Examples are giving paper the properties of plastics and other petroleum products to manufacture biodegradable food cartons; making paper antioxidant so that it can keep food for longer; changing paper’s properties to make it sufficiently waterproof for manufacturing cups without adding paraffin; and adding antibacterial substances to produce infection-proof dressings.
The Latest on: Waterproof paper
[google_news title=”” keyword=”waterproof paper” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Waterproof paper
- These $45 water-resistant ballet flats are comfortable to walk in, lighter than rain boots, and machine washableon February 23, 2024 at 9:53 am
I found the Oka-B flats water-resistant enough to endure heavy rains, but they're also cute and comfortable enough to wear on sunny days.
- New iPad Pencil Makes Drawing Fun Againon February 23, 2024 at 9:32 am
Together, the iPad and the Apple Pencil make for a formidable alternative to paper and pencil, canvas and paint. But do these "analog" materials still have the edge?
- Apple warns: Don't put your wet iPhone in rice. Do this insteadon February 22, 2024 at 6:39 am
The myth that placing a wet electronic device into a bag of rice for a few hours will return it to a dry and functioning state is both persistent and highly inaccurate. This method doesn't work. If ...
- How to get the most work out of a 'working' vacationon February 21, 2024 at 9:00 pm
If paper is a major player in your arsenal, consider adding some of the waterproof variety to your kit. Otherwise known as stone paper, it’s rip resistant and can be written on in the rain. Ink flow ...
- Our favorite furniture deals at Amazon's big home sale todayon February 21, 2024 at 7:45 am
The opposite side has a hanging paper towel rack. This wheeled kitchen island is made ... Measuring 39.37 x 11.81 x 31.49 inches, the table is waterproof, scratch-resistant and easy to keep clean.
- The Best Rain Jackets in the World Will Soon Be Illegal—With Good Reasonon February 21, 2024 at 4:50 am
Clothing companies have long relied on PFAS, or forever chemicals, to provide stellar water, stain, and oil repellency. But at what cost? New regulations are forcing your favorite apparel brands ...
- Montane Phase Lite Waterproof Jacket review: featherlight, weatherproof 3-layer shellon February 15, 2024 at 4:00 am
Completely wind and waterproof, the Phase Lite has your back in the worst weather and is lightweight and very easy to carry ...
- Top 5 Best Waterproof Bandages in [year]on February 14, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The transparent film dressing is practical and waterproof, making it ideal for use after getting a tattoo or for swimming. The bandage is easy to apply, and the grid lines on the back paper make ...
- Ramblin' Outdoors: Transition to plain paper tags and licenseson February 6, 2024 at 4:00 pm
1. The change to plain paper does not apply to the spring 2024 turkey season. Most of us already have our 2024 turkey season tags, which are the usual waterproof paper, so this problem will not ...
- Top 5 Best Female Urination Devices in 2024on February 4, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The waterproof paper material is comfortable to use and the included storage bag makes it easy to carry and dispose of. However, it may take some practice to use the device properly and it may not ...
via Bing News