It is almost impossible to find a public toilet in the US – and that creates problems.
When desperate people pee in doorways and alleys, it offends residents and drives customers away from local businesses.
Enter the PPlanter, a public urinal with an ecological twist. It uses biofilters – plants in a growing medium – to treat urine. Easy to move, it consumes less water than the average toilet and sink, while avoiding the harsh chemicals of conventional portable toilets. On top of all of that, its inventors claim it is odour-free.
The small booth of the PPlanter is not just for men: disposable funnels allow women to use the PPlanter standing up. The treatment process begins once the user washes their hands at a built-in sink. A foot pump pushes clean water through a faucet. The rinse water does double duty by flushing the urinal.
The water and urine empty into an air-tight tank; without exposure to air, urine does not produce malodorous ammonia. The liquids are pumped into a pallet-sized biofilter that is lightweight and movable, containing bamboo, wood chips, straw, rock and pectin-coated styrofoam. The bamboo takes up the water as well as nutrients in the urine, including nitrogen and phosphorus. Bacteria break down protein and carbohydrates. That leaves only salts.
The PPlanter was designed and built by the Hyphae Design Laboratory of Oakland, California. The idea was to reduce public urination while challenging people to rethink conventional plumbing. “Our goal is to refocus attention to developing ecological sanitation, making it aesthetically pleasing, clean, functional, and cool,” says lab founder Brent Bucknum.
Last year, Bucknum and his staff tested the PPlanter in a crowded San Francisco neighbourhood. It stood up well to heavy use and has relieved as many as 300 people over an 8-hour period. Now the city has ordered a permanent one with two urinals and a composting toilet. With proper maintenance, it should last 10-15 years. Additionally, Bucknum plans to rent PPlanters for festivals and events.
The Latest on: Toilet
via Google News
The Latest on: Toilet
- Mumbai: BMC halts construction of toilet seats in community toilets, 50% work done till nowon November 29, 2021 at 9:13 am
After completing over 50 per cent work of total toilets to be built under the Slum Sanitation Plan, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has decided to scrap the project of constructing toilet ...
- You can actually buy MRE toilet paper, but why the hell would you?on November 29, 2021 at 7:48 am
If it was between MRE toilet paper and sandpaper, I’d strongly consider using sandpaper. At least it won’t rip.
- Even with weekly clean ups, waste and toilet access a problem at Comanche Creekon November 29, 2021 at 4:30 am
North State Shelter Team Volunteer President Charles Withuhn says waste management and toilet access for homeless people at Comanche Creek Greenway are insufficient despite weekly cleanups.
- Colored toilet is difficult to replaceon November 28, 2021 at 1:00 am
Q: I have a toilet from the 1970s I have to replace, and the color has been discontinued. The sink and tub are also the same color as the toilet but will stay in place. My problem is I cannot find a ...
- Firefighter Placed on Leave for Allegedly Using COVID Vaccine Mandate as Toilet Paperon November 26, 2021 at 10:11 am
A firefighter in Los Angeles was placed on leave after being accused earlier this month of using a vaccination requirement letter as a makeshift piece of toilet paper, according to The Los Angeles ...
- Master of Flushes: Toilet in the Likeness of Metallica’s Lars Ulrich Is Creepy as Hellon November 24, 2021 at 1:01 pm
The creator last made headlines by purportedly crafting a functional guitar out of his dead uncle's skeleton. Master of Flushes: Toilet in the Likeness of Metallica’s Lars Ulrich Is Creepy as Hell ...
- Metallica fans want to buy a Lars Ulrich toileton November 24, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich has had a toilet made in his likeness. Created with plaster, the toilet depicts Ulrich in Metallica’s Eighties heyday with long hair and a cut-off T-shirt emblazoned with ...
- Is toilet paper a thing of the past? The 'bidet boom' hitting Americaon November 24, 2021 at 5:47 am
The toilet paper shortage of 2020 taught us that we use a lot of TP. So people started looking for other means of getting clean by using a bidet - and they love it!
- Jeffrey Epstein’s final days: Celebrity reminiscing and a running toileton November 23, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Newly released records provide the most detailed look yet at the last days of disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, and show mistake after mistake made by jail and bureau officials.
- Sheriff: Healdsburg man hid in portable toilet to evade deputieson November 23, 2021 at 6:23 pm
A Healdsburg man hid in a portable toilet to elude Sonoma County sheriff’s deputies after leading them on a chase Friday night, officials said. Andrew Moreno, 22, is being held in lieu of $150,000 ...
via Bing News