Platelets, whose primary function is to prevent bleeding, are vital for treating various forms of trauma and blood diseases.
However, they can only be obtained through blood donations at present. Researchers reporting online February 13 in the Cell Press journal Cell Stem Cell recently found a way to create platelets without the need for donated blood, an advance that could possibly erase supply shortages and ensure platelet treatments for all who need them.
The supply of donated platelets, which have a short shelf life and must be kept at room temperature, is often insufficient to meet clinical needs. In addition, while transfused platelets do not typically need to be immune-matched to patients, repeated transfusion of unmatched platelets leads to an immune reaction that eventually renders patients unresponsive to platelet transfusion therapy.
To address these limitations, investigators from Japan developed a strategy to derive functional platelets from human induced pluripotent stem cells. Induced pluripotent stem cells can be generated from various types of cells in the body, and they can in turn be coaxed to develop into nearly any other cell type. In the current study, the approach involved genetically manipulating such stem cells to become stable immortalized lines of platelet-producing cells called megakaryocyte progenitors.
The megakaryocyte progenitors could produce large quantities of platelets with clotting capabilities that were similar to those of donated platelets. Unlike freshly donated platelets, though, the immortalized megakaryocyte progenitors could be expanded and frozen for long-term storage.
“Here we established a method to achieve the long-term self-replication of megakaryocyte progenitors as an immortalized cell line, which could eventually contribute to large-scale cultivation and production of platelets,” says senior author Dr. Koji Eto of Kyoto University and the University of Tokyo.
The Latest on: Platelet supply
via Google News
The Latest on: Platelet supply
- SunCoast Blood Centers facing critical blood supply shortageon June 10, 2021 at 6:27 pm
Centers is facing a critical blood supply shortage and needs your help. According to a Facebook post, your blood donation will help make sure they have the blood they need to save the lives of people ...
- Platelet Aggregation Devices Market Report shows Strong Growth and Industry Statistics and Players – Aggredyne, Haemonetics, Sysmexon June 10, 2021 at 4:07 am
The Platelet Aggregation Devices Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.59% and is poised to reach US$XX Billion by 2027 as compared to US$XX Billion in 2020. The factors leading to this ...
- AstraZeneca vaccine linked to slightly higher risk of low platelet count, study sayson June 10, 2021 at 2:34 am
The study, published in the journal Nature Medicine, says Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine carries a slightly increased risk of a drop in platelet count and blood clots in arteries.
- Need for blood supply increases across Texason June 9, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Health professionals have not seen a shortage like this in 30 years, according to Carter BloodCare, one of Texas' largest blood centers. This is due to the pandemic, an increase of population in ...
- Emergency need for blood, platelet donations as cancer patients resume care after challenging yearon June 9, 2021 at 9:29 am
Now, as many are resuming their doctors’ appointments, there is an emergency need for blood and platelet donations that are essential to their treatments. The American Red Cross and the American ...
- Kraft Family Blood Donation Center has critical need for Type O bloodon June 9, 2021 at 6:27 am
All blood and platelets collected at the Kraft Family Blood Donor Center benefit patients at the Brigham and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Platelet Aggregometer Market Report | Global Expansion by Key Segments and Industry Dynamics From 2021 to 2027on June 8, 2021 at 11:24 pm
The global Platelet Aggregometer market forecast for 2020-2027 tracks the latest market dynamics, such as concluding factors, restrictive factors, and industry updates such as product innovation, ...
- Human Platelet Lysate Market 2021 Major Key Players Forecast to 2027: Size Demand, Business Share, Opportunity and Challenges of Top Key Playerson June 8, 2021 at 5:58 am
Jun 08, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." A Recent Research on “Human ...
- As Austin and its surrounding area grows, so does the local need for blood donationson June 8, 2021 at 4:00 am
New hospitals, medical program expansions fuel increase need, especially for platelets. We Are Blood says donor levels are not back to normal yet.
- Platelet Rich Plasma Market Reviewed for 2019 with Industry Outlook to 2026on June 7, 2021 at 10:11 am
The Platelet Rich Plasma Market report delivers full information about the latest developing trends and technologies including future growth, sales figures, Type and Application providing profitable ...
via Bing News