Aerogels could improve some of our favorite machines, such as cars
“When you hold aerogel it feels like nothing – like frozen smoke. It’s about 95 to 97 percent air,” said Ann Anderson, professor of mechanical engineering. “Nano-porous, solid and very low density, aerogel is made by removing solvents from a wet-gel. It’s used for many purposes, like thermal insulation (on the Mars Rover), in windows or in extreme-weather clothing and sensors.”
Together with Brad Bruno, associate professor of mechanical engineering, Mary Carroll, professor of chemistry and others, Anderson is studying the feasibility of commercializing their aerogel fabrication process. A time and money-saver, it could appeal to industries already using aerogel made in other ways.
During rapid supercritical extraction (RSCE), chemicals gel together (like Jell-O) in a hot press; the resulting wet-gel is dried by removing solvents (the wet part). The remaining aerogel (dried gel), is created in hours, rather than the days or weeks alternative methods take.
RSCE, Anderson said, is also approximately seven times cheaper, requiring one hour of labor for every 8 hours the other methods need.
A good place for such a process, and Union aerogel, is the automotive industry.
“Our 3-way catalytic aerogels promote chemical reactions that convert the three major pollutants in automotive exhaust – unburned hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide – into less harmful water, nitrogen and carbon dioxide,” Anderson said. “Because aerogels have very high surface areas and good thermal properties, we think they could replace precious metals, like platinum, used in current catalytic converters.”
The Latest on: Aerogel
via Google News
The Latest on: Aerogel
- Engineers create 'smart' aerogel that turns air into drinking wateron January 19, 2021 at 6:17 am
Some say future wars will be fought over water, and a billion people around the world are already struggling to find enough water to live. Now, researchers at the National University of Singapore (NUS ...
- Aerogel Market, Driven by Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, COVID-19 Overview, Opportunities, Share 2023on January 18, 2021 at 12:41 am
Aerogels are fabricated from isolating the fluid segment by a supercritical drying process. They are porous and strong ...
- NUS engineers create 'smart' aerogel that turns air into drinking wateron January 17, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Researchers from NUS Engineering have developed a new aerogel that autonomously absorbs water from the atmosphere and then releases it effortlessly without any external power source. This invention is ...
- Aspen Aerogels (NYSE:ASPN) Upgraded by Zacks Investment Research to Holdon January 17, 2021 at 7:50 am
Zacks Investment Research upgraded shares of Aspen Aerogels (NYSE:ASPN) from a strong sell rating to a hold rating in a research note issued to investors on Wednesday morning, Zacks.com reports.
- Bringing cosmic dust to Earthon January 16, 2021 at 10:22 am
Stardust mission completed one of its phases by successfully returning comet and interstellar dust back to Earth. It continued its voyage, becoming the first mission to visit two comets. A.S.Ganesh ...
- Making Aerogel, It’s Not For The Faint-Heartedon January 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Aerogel — that mixture of air and silica — is one of those materials that seems like a miracle. It is almost not there since the material is 99% air. [NileRed] wanted to make his own and he ...
- Silicon Dioxide Aerogel market Global Size Overview, Growth Drivers, Industry Share and Forecast to 2027on January 13, 2021 at 9:42 am
Jan 13, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- The globalSilicon Dioxide Aerogel marketis likely to foresee impressive growth in the forthcoming years. Theis ascribable to the latest innovations and ...
- Svenska Aerogel Holding ABon January 13, 2021 at 9:29 am
Stocks: Real-time U.S. stock quotes reflect trades reported through Nasdaq only; comprehensive quotes and volume reflect trading in all markets and are delayed at least 15 minutes. International ...
- Svenska Aerogel Holding AB (AERO) NPVon January 7, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The selling price currently displayed is higher than the buying price. This can occur temporarily for a variety of reasons; shortly before the market opens, after the market closes or because of ...
- The Worldwide Aerogel Industry is Expected to Reach $1+ Billion by 2025on December 31, 2020 at 6:21 am
DUBLIN, Dec. 31, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Aerogel Market by Type (Silica, Polymer, and Carbon), Form (Blanket, Panel, Particle, and Monolith), Processing (Virgin ...
via Bing News