Aerogels could improve some of our favorite machines, such as cars
“When you hold aerogel it feels like nothing – like frozen smoke. It’s about 95 to 97 percent air,” said Ann Anderson, professor of mechanical engineering. “Nano-porous, solid and very low density, aerogel is made by removing solvents from a wet-gel. It’s used for many purposes, like thermal insulation (on the Mars Rover), in windows or in extreme-weather clothing and sensors.”
Together with Brad Bruno, associate professor of mechanical engineering, Mary Carroll, professor of chemistry and others, Anderson is studying the feasibility of commercializing their aerogel fabrication process. A time and money-saver, it could appeal to industries already using aerogel made in other ways.
During rapid supercritical extraction (RSCE), chemicals gel together (like Jell-O) in a hot press; the resulting wet-gel is dried by removing solvents (the wet part). The remaining aerogel (dried gel), is created in hours, rather than the days or weeks alternative methods take.
RSCE, Anderson said, is also approximately seven times cheaper, requiring one hour of labor for every 8 hours the other methods need.
A good place for such a process, and Union aerogel, is the automotive industry.
“Our 3-way catalytic aerogels promote chemical reactions that convert the three major pollutants in automotive exhaust – unburned hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide – into less harmful water, nitrogen and carbon dioxide,” Anderson said. “Because aerogels have very high surface areas and good thermal properties, we think they could replace precious metals, like platinum, used in current catalytic converters.”
The Latest on: Aerogel
via Google News
The Latest on: Aerogel
- Aerogel Insulation Market Share, Size to Exhibit Substantial Growth By 2025 - Industry Analysison March 3, 2021 at 1:55 pm
According to a recent study titled 'Aerogel Insulation Market Size By Type (Silica, Polymer, Carbon), By Form (Blankets, Panels, Particle, Block), By End-Use (Oil & Gas, Building & Construction, ...
- European Building Insulation Materials Market 2021-2027: Future Growth Potential Enhanced by Opportunities in Advanced Building Techniqueson March 3, 2021 at 6:55 am
The "European Building Insulation Materials Market Driven by Energy-efficiency Targets" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Silicon Dioxide Aerogel Market 2021: Industry Analysis, Geographical Segmentation, Drivers, Challenges, Trends Forecasts By 2027on March 1, 2021 at 11:01 pm
Global “Silicon Dioxide Aerogel Market” forecast 2027; research report analyzed the existing state of the market ...
- Making Aerogel, It’s Not For The Faint-Heartedon February 27, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Aerogel — that mixture of air and silica — is one of those materials that seems like a miracle. It is almost not there since the material is 99% air. [NileRed] wanted to make his own and he ...
- IDTechEx Explores 3 Key Growth Drivers for the Aerogel Marketon February 25, 2021 at 7:28 pm
IDTechEx expect the aerogel market in 2021 to be below $300m with over 95% of the market attributable to silica products. There are many online figures that will put that market significantly ...
- IDTechEx Explores 3 Key Growth Drivers for the Aerogel Marketon February 25, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Tax Planning Personal Finance Save for College Save for Retirement Invest in Retirement Research Mutual Funds Stocks ETFs Bonds Best Investments ...
- IDTechEx Explores 3 Key Growth Drivers for the Aerogel Marketon February 25, 2021 at 2:10 pm
The aerogel market is forecast to exceed $700m within the next decade. This may appear modest for a unique material family that has been known for nearly a century, but after long periods of ...
- IDTechEx Explores 3 Key Growth Drivers for the Aerogel Marketon February 25, 2021 at 2:05 pm
Disclaimer | Commerce Policy | Made In NYC | Stock quotes by finanzen.net BOSTON, Feb. 25, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- The aerogel market is forecast to exceed $700m within the next decade. This may ...
- OrthoLite® Creates World's First and Only Aerogel-Infused Open Cell PU-Foamon February 25, 2021 at 7:01 am
O-Therm is the first and only aerogel-infused, open-cell PU foam. This new technology creates a thermal barrier that blocks the cold and maintains footwear temperature regulation. Using an ...
- Aspen Aerogels (ASPN) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton February 18, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Q4 2020 Earnings CallFeb 18, 2021, 5:00 p.m. ETContents: Prepared Remarks Questions and Answers Call Participants Prepared Remarks: OperatorLadies and gentlemen, thank you for standing by, and ...
via Bing News