Researchers of KIT and the Carnegie Mellon University Developed a Reusable Adhesive Tape Modeled on Nature
Geckos outclass adhesive tapes in one respect: Even after repeated contact with dirt and dust do their feet perfectly adhere to smooth surfaces. Researchers of the KIT and the Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, have now developed the first adhesive tape that does not only adhere to a surface as reliably as the toes of a gecko, but also possesses similar self-cleaning properties. Using such a tape, food packagings or bandages might be opened and closed several times.
When moving forwards, the gecko‘s toes drag across a part of the surface. As a result of this lateral friction contact, larger dirt particles are removed. Smaller particles deposit among the setae on the sole and in the skinfolds below. In an experiment, the researchers have proved that both mechanisms provide for 95% of the self-cleaning effect. “This effect is determined by the ratio between particle size and setae diameter“, Dr. Hendrik Hölscher of KIT’s Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT) says.
For their experiments, the scientists used elastic microhairs of variable size. Instead of dirt particles, they employed glass spheres of micrometer size (10-6 meters) and distributed them on a smooth plate. To simulate the steps made by a gecko, they pressed an artificial adhesive tape covered by microhairs onto the plate, shifted it laterally, and lifted the tape off again. This “load-drag-unload“ cycle was repeated several times. In parallel, adhesive force was measured.
When the diameter of the spheres exceeded that of the microhairs, the adhesive force disappeared after the first contact (”load“) – as in case of an ordinary adhesive tape. After eight to ten test cycles, however, the gecko-inspired adhesive tape reached 80 to 100 percent of its original power again. “In the long term, this effect might be used to develop a low-cost alternative to hook and loop fasteners,“ Hölscher says. “Such a tape might be applied in the sports sector, in medicine, automotive industry or aerospace technology,“ Metin Sitti, Professor of the Carnegie Mellon University, adds.
The Latest on: Reusable Adhesive Tape
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Reusable Adhesive Tape” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Reusable Adhesive Tape
- Packaging Tapes Market: Projected Growth at a 4.8% CAGR to Reach US$ 120.1 Billion by 2032on February 19, 2024 at 9:17 pm
Future Market Insights research indicates that the global packaging tapes market is poised for substantial growth, with a market valuation of US$ 71.7 billion in 2021. Projections suggest a steady ...
- This Bra-Free Hack Held Up Through an “Entire Night of Dancing,” According to an Amazon Shopperon February 19, 2024 at 3:00 pm
This Bra-Free Hack Held Up Through an “Entire Night of Dancing,” According to an Amazon Shopper ...
- Self-adhesive Handylift Tape Market Evolution: Recent And Emerging Trends, Applications Of Self-adhesive Handylift Tapeon February 15, 2024 at 2:47 am
According to a new report published by Xcellent Insights, the global Self-adhesive Handylift Tape market has witnessed significant growth in the recent past and is expected to register robust revenue ...
- Shaping The Future Of Self adhesive Tear Tape: Market Potentials And Emerging Trendson February 14, 2024 at 4:41 am
Xcellent Insights has recently published a report on the global Self adhesive Tear Tape market that delves into the latest trends, competitive analysis, and consumer behavior, providing a ...
- Get Clean, White Teeth & Fresh Breath with These Genius Dental Productson February 13, 2024 at 2:00 pm
From tongue scrapers to electric flossers, these oral hygiene items will make you feel like you just left the dentist, and that’s the tooth.
- New adhesive UV-sensitive tape easily picks up and sticks down 2D materials (w/video)on February 8, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Their findings were published in Nature Electronics ("Ready-to-transfer two-dimensional materials using tunable adhesive force tapes"). The tape changes its ‘stickiness’ to 2D materials due to UV ...
- Emerging Markets and Industry Verticals Boost Returnable Packaging Market to US$ 248 Billion by 2034on February 8, 2024 at 7:30 am
The global returnable packaging market is anticipated to reach a valuation of US$ 129.7 billion in 2024, driven by emerging markets ...
- Tech review: Flexible solar panel is thin, light and tough and it is easy to mounton February 7, 2024 at 10:32 am
I get asked to review a lot of solar generator equipment. Usually, a company will send a portable power station and a solar panel or two for testing and I end up writing more about the power station ...
- Wardrobe malfunctions: Celeb stylist reveals how to avoid accidental nudity with pro tips for using double-sided tape and more fashion solutionson February 1, 2024 at 10:38 am
Elevate their reusable charm by giving them a ... and she realized that her preferred adhesive bras were nowhere to be found. 'Without missing a beat, I provided her with Body Contour Tape from ...
- Yes, You Can Wear A Backless Dress With Big Boobs — Here’s Howon April 27, 2016 at 4:59 pm
Over the years, I’ve tested nearly every breast-supporting mechanism on the market — from boob tape to built-in cups — and have ... As it turns out, this roll-on adhesive is the ultimate trick for ...
via Bing News