Scientists report that they have developed a novel compound that appears to protect mice against developing movement problems associated with Parkinson’s disease (PD).
The research, which could one day in the future translate into a therapy that could halt the progression of PD and thereby prevent the symptoms of the disease, appears in ACS’ Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
Onyou Hwang, Ki Duk Park and colleagues explain that PD, which affects an estimated 4 million to 10 million people worldwide, is a progressive movement disorder with no known cure. It often starts with slight tremors and gets worse over time. Muscles go stiff. Walking becomes difficult. Speech is slurred. No one knows for certain what causes the disease, but research has shown that it’s linked with the loss of nerve cells in the brain that secrete dopamine, a chemical that is involved in movement and emotion. To find a potential new therapy for PD, the research team searched for a way to shield these brain cells.
They made 56 compounds and tested them to see which ones boosted the production of proteins that protect dopamine-releasing neurons from damage. Of those, one, which they call “12g,” proved to be the most active. Interestingly, it protected mice from developing PD-like symptoms in one laboratory test. “Taken together, 12g was found to effectively prevent the motor deficits that are associated with PD,” they say.
The Latest on: Parkinson’s disease
via Google News
The Latest on: Parkinson’s disease
- Simple vision tests can predict Parkinson's dementia before it beginson January 19, 2021 at 5:48 pm
Simple vision tests can predict which people with Parkinson's disease will develop cognitive impairment and possible dementia 18 months later, according to a new study by UCL researchers.
- Fried Food a Big Factor in Heart Disease, Strokeon January 19, 2021 at 11:05 am
Eating fried food is tied to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke, a new study suggests. The risk rises with each additional 4-ounce serving per week, a research team in China found. For the ...
- Damage caused by motor neurone disease could be REVERSED using existing drugs that improve energy levels in nerve cells, study revealson January 19, 2021 at 9:06 am
Researchers from Edinburgh University have pinpointed an issue in patients' nerve cells that depletes energy levels in the mitochondria - the power supply to the motor neurones.
- General health checkups may detect early signs of Parkinson's diseaseon January 19, 2021 at 7:31 am
A research team led by Nagoya University in Japan has found that blood pressure, the hematocrit, and serum cholesterol levels change in patients with Parkinson's disease long before the onset of motor ...
- Yesse Technologies secures another grant from The Michael J. Fox Foundation to sniff out Parkinson's diseaseon January 19, 2021 at 3:24 am
PRNewswire/ -- Yesse Technologies, Inc., a New York-headquartered biotechnology company, developing a technology ...
- Yesse Technologies is receiving another grant from The Michael J. Fox Foundation to help diagnose Parkinson’s diseaseon January 19, 2021 at 3:19 am
Yesse Technologies is receiving another grant from The Michael J. Fox Foundation to help diagnose Parkinson's disease NEW YORK, Jan. 19, ...
- Researchers find potential biomarkers of Parkinson's diseaseon January 18, 2021 at 8:58 pm
A research team led by Nagoya University in Japan has found that blood pressure, the hematocrit (the percentage of red blood cells in blood), and serum cholesterol levels change in patients with ...
- How Exercise Helps Prevent and Treat Parkinson’s Diseaseon January 18, 2021 at 4:06 am
It was just that good." With Parkinson's disease, the loss of cells that make dopamine leads to an impairment of automatic movements, including walking, balance and mobility, as well as deficits ...
- Increased risk of Parkinson's disease in patients with schizophreniaon January 15, 2021 at 10:47 am
A new study conducted at the University of Turku, Finland, shows that patients with a schizophrenia spectrum disorder have an increased risk of Parkinson's disease later in life. The increased risk ...
- Discover Parkinson's Disease Drugs Market to grow at a much faster rate beyond 2020| Financial Analysis and Forecaston January 15, 2021 at 9:59 am
A recent market report printed on the Parkinson’s Disease Drugs Market presents an associate in-depth summary of the Parkinson’s Disease Drugs market. World Parkinson’s Disease Drugs research report ...
via Bing News