Scientists report that they have developed a novel compound that appears to protect mice against developing movement problems associated with Parkinson’s disease (PD).
The research, which could one day in the future translate into a therapy that could halt the progression of PD and thereby prevent the symptoms of the disease, appears in ACS’ Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
Onyou Hwang, Ki Duk Park and colleagues explain that PD, which affects an estimated 4 million to 10 million people worldwide, is a progressive movement disorder with no known cure. It often starts with slight tremors and gets worse over time. Muscles go stiff. Walking becomes difficult. Speech is slurred. No one knows for certain what causes the disease, but research has shown that it’s linked with the loss of nerve cells in the brain that secrete dopamine, a chemical that is involved in movement and emotion. To find a potential new therapy for PD, the research team searched for a way to shield these brain cells.
They made 56 compounds and tested them to see which ones boosted the production of proteins that protect dopamine-releasing neurons from damage. Of those, one, which they call “12g,” proved to be the most active. Interestingly, it protected mice from developing PD-like symptoms in one laboratory test. “Taken together, 12g was found to effectively prevent the motor deficits that are associated with PD,” they say.
The Latest on: Parkinson’s disease
via Google News
The Latest on: Parkinson’s disease
- 'I love him. He's dad.' TV news anchor, spouse open up about caring for parent with dementiaon November 29, 2021 at 12:48 am
Rochester anchor and consumer investigator Deanna Dewberry writes about her and her husband's experiences serving as a caregiver for her father.
- Billy Connolly health: Living with Parkinson’s disease - signs to spoton November 28, 2021 at 1:54 pm
PARKINSON'S disease describes a condition causing progressive damage to parts of the brain over many years. Billy Connolly was diagnosed with this condition in 2013. Earlier this year, he shared that ...
- If You Notice This On Your Scalp, Get Checked for Parkinson'son November 27, 2021 at 4:04 am
There are a handful of Parkinson's disease (PD) symptoms that are well-known, even to those unaffected by the condition, like tremors and difficulty walking. But experts warn that the progressive ...
- 'The Chase' star Paul Sinha felt 'relief' at Parkinson's diagnosison November 26, 2021 at 3:47 am
Paul Sinha has said he was relieved when he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s as it meant he could “own it”. The Chase star announced in 2019 that he had been diagnosed with th ...
- Parkinson’s disease awareness: Answering 9 most popular Parkinson’s questions from Veteranson November 24, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Parkinson’s disease is the second-most common neurodegenerative disease in the U.S. Approximately 110,000 Veterans receive Parkinson’s treatment through VA.
- Combination therapy reduces toxic aggregates in Parkinson's diseaseon November 24, 2021 at 6:13 am
A new combination of drugs could fix the broken lysosomal enzyme pathway in Parkinson's disease-afflicted brain cells, according to a Northwestern Medicine study published in Neuron.
- Coffee, Smoking and Aspirin Influence Parkinson's Disease Onseton November 24, 2021 at 3:38 am
Coffee drinking, aspirin use, and smoking influence the age of onset and the extent of clinical symptoms in patients with Parkinson's disease, early research suggests.
- Vibration device may help ease resting tremors in Parkinson's diseaseon November 23, 2021 at 4:20 am
A device is worn on the wrist or ankle, and is roughly the size and weight of a smartwatch, may be a safe and effective way to reduce resting tremors in people with Parkinson's disease, researchers ...
- Woman with young onset Parkinson's disease details diagnosis at 41on November 22, 2021 at 10:44 am
When physical therapy failed to reduce her pain, she followed up with doctors and learned that young onset Parkinson’s disease was the cause. Six years later, Day recently ran the New York City ...
- Parkinson's Disease Treatment Market Size, Share, Key Players, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2027on November 22, 2021 at 3:19 am
The Global Parkinson’s Disease Treatment Market is anticipated to value over USD 7.1 billion by 2027 end with a CAGR of ...
via Bing News