New Method to Rapidly Check Concrete Bridges with External Tendons – KIT Researchers Facilitate Predictive Maintenance of Infrastructure Facilities in Germany
The new ResoBridge method has been developed to check bridges during running traffic within one day. It measures the vibrations of the tensioning ropes of externally prestressed concrete bridges. The test method developed by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology helps control the state of infrastructure facilities and optimizes early planning of necessary repairs. In the future, it may also be used to check cable-stayed bridges and constructions as well as hybrid towers of wind power plants.
Nearly 40,000 bridges exist in Germany. They have to withstand enormous loads. In particular, they have to cope with the growing heavy goods vehicle traffic. To guarantee safety of bridges, regular inspections are required. However, visual methods allow the damage to be detected in a rather advanced state only. Other methods, such as ultrasound, radiography or magnet-inductive testing, are time-consuming and expensive. Moreover, the bridges partly have to be closed for the traffic.
The ResoBridge method developed by Lothar Stempniewski and Steffen Siegel of the KIT Institute of Concrete Structures and Building Materials (IMB) represents an inexpensive and reliable alternative. The patented method is suited for concrete bridges with external tendons that are not cast into the concrete. These bridges are equipped with a hollow concrete box underneath the road. Six steel ropes inside the box ensure stability. Such externally prestressed concrete bridges can be found all over Germany.
The ResoBridge method is based on an acceleration sensor measuring natural vibrations of the tensioning ropes. The values measured are compared to results of earlier measurements. “A decreasing frequency indicates decreasing tension of the rope. Significant changes of the values suggest damage of the wires or braids,” explains Steffen Siegel, IMB. The method measures the frequency spectra with an accuracy of up to 0.01 Hertz. To detect changes, an initial value has to be determined as a reference. The KIT researchers were involved in the development of an instrument that stores all values measured and indicates frequency changes.
The instrument is easy to operate. Measurement of the values, inclusive of the assembly and disassembly of the sensor at the measurement point, takes a few minutes only. The check of a bridge will take one day without the bridge having to be closed for the traffic. Hence, ResoBridge saves time and costs. All bridge data are recorded centrally. The method can also be used to compare various tensioning units and bridges. Presently, the method is being further developed for use on other constructions. Future application to cable-stayed bridges and constructions as well as to hybrid towers of wind power plants is envisaged.
The Latest on: Predictive Maintenance
via Google News
The Latest on: Predictive Maintenance
- PMA-265 pioneers aircraft affordability and availability methodson December 2, 2021 at 5:32 am
The data speaks for itself. Using several innovative technologies in the data analytics realm, the F/A-18 and EA-18G program office (PMA-265) sees significant improvement in the affordability and avai ...
- Army aviation encouraged to reach for predictive maintenanceon December 1, 2021 at 6:54 am
Maj. Gen. Todd Royar, commander of the Aviation and Missile Command, spoke to leaders in the aviation community at the Joseph P. Cribbins Training, Equipping and Sustainment Symposium Nov. 17.
- Epicor’s AI-Driven Automated Inventory Management Predictive Maintenance Solutionson November 30, 2021 at 11:04 am
At AAPEX, Epicor previewed two new industry data analytics solutions for automotive replacement parts distributors and service chains. The new solutions, Epicor Predictive Inventory Assistant (PIA) ...
- Demand for Predictive Maintenance Management Is High In Predictive Maintenance Market for Ensuring Smooth Operationson November 30, 2021 at 5:02 am
The global Predictive Maintenance market is estimated to account for US 17 7 Billion By 2026 Predictive maintenance systems are designed to assist manufacturing companies in determining the condition ...
- Stratio Automotive: Stratio raises $12M Series A to Scale AI-based Predictive Fleet Maintenance Platform using Real-time Augmented Intelligenceon November 30, 2021 at 12:05 am
Investment led by Forestay with participation from existing investor Crane Venture Partners to be used to further accelerate global expansion, increase R&D, boost product development, and double headc ...
- Portugal’s ‘Predictive maintenance’ startup Stratio pulls in a $12M Series A round led by Forestayon November 29, 2021 at 11:00 pm
The fleet management industry needs to be able to predict when a truck or a van is about to break down. Not only does this prevent millions in lost revenues, but it also has huge implications for ...
- Portugal's 'Predictive maintenance' startup Stratio pulls in a $12M Series A round led by Forestayon November 29, 2021 at 11:00 pm
The fleet management industry needs to be able to predict when a truck or a van is about to break down. 'Predictive maintenance' is one of those spaces in which you will find several incumbent ...
- Predictive Maintenance Market | Estimated to Reach Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) is 16.3 % | Leading Players and Forecast Outlook 2021-2027on November 28, 2021 at 3:42 am
The "Global Predictive Maintenance Market" is growing at a CAGR of 16.3% during 2021-2027. Global Predictive Maintenance Market 2021-2027 market report includes industry peerâs, types, applications, ...
- Predictive Maintenance Market Insights by Emerging Trends, Growth and Forecast till 2024on November 25, 2021 at 4:46 am
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, Japan, Nov 25, 2021, 06:20 /Comserve / -- MarketsandMarkets forecasts the global predictive maintenance market size to grow from USD 3.0 billion in 2019 to USD 10.7 billion ...
- AirBridgeCargo Airlines Taps GE Digital for Predictive Maintenanceon November 22, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Taps GE Digital for Predictive Maintenance is part of Aviation Week Network's complimentary online access. Register now to read this content, plus receive ...
via Bing News