Positioning technology developed at KTH will save lives and protect emergency responders in hazardous environments.
Fire, smoke and zero visibility – a firefighter’s working environment is extreme. Now, with sensor-equipped footwear developed at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, firefighters can be even more effective at saving lives and property.
An innovative digital positioning system that uses sensors inside the heel of a boot makes it possible for emergency commanders to follow firefighters’ movements independently of infrastructure, and even 25 metres below ground.
Behind the project are Peter Händel, Professor of Signal Processing, John-Olof Nilsson, a researcher at KTH, and Jouni Ranta Kokko, a KTH researcher and research leader at the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI).
The system they designed includes advanced sensors such as accelerometer and gyroscope, plus a processor. It can withstand shock and extremely high temperatures and remains operational where GPS positioning systems fail.
A wireless module worn on the shoulder sends the data to operational command. The precise information about responders’ location and movements enables emergency coordinators to control operations remotely and ensure that the firefighters remain effective and safe under extremely dangerous conditions.
“When the firefighters can work safer and more efficiently, they can also save more lives,” says Peter Händel, Professor of Signal Processing at KTH, one of those who worked on the development of the sensor shoe.
The system has been tested successfully with firefighters in real time, 25 metres below ground.
The positioning capability can also be used by others – such as police and military response forces, or medical services at major incidents. Even rescue work far below the ground, as in mines, can be facilitated by being able to position both workers and rescue teams without the need for extensive infrastructure.
The next step for the researchers is to make the sensors part of the sole, which would increase flexibility and open up more uses than when built into the heel. The idea is also that the sole will also generate its own power supply. The aim is also that the sole can be thin enough for use in ordinary shoes.
The Latest on: Digital positioning system
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Digital positioning system” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Digital positioning system
- TM AIMS TO BECOME A DIGITAL POWERHOUSE BY 2030 — CEOon February 23, 2024 at 12:48 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 23 (Bernama) -- Telekom Malaysia Bhd (TM) is now focused on evolving into a digital powerhouse by 2030 while positioning Malaysia as a ... nationwide and regional submarine cable ...
- Giant Microelectronics Introduces World’s Smallest and Lowest Power UWB SoC for Precise Ranging, Positioning and Wireless Applicationson February 23, 2024 at 5:01 am
2024--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Shenzhen Giant Microelectronics Company Limited (GiantSemi), a global supplier of wireless SoC (system-on-chip), today announced an industry-leading GT1500 UWB (ultra-wideband) ...
- India positioning itself at the centre of the global stage for promotion of traditional system of medicine, says Sarbananda Sonowalon February 22, 2024 at 10:49 pm
Our Bureau, New Delhi Friday, February 23, 2024, 12:20 Hrs [IST] ...
- VIB drives digital banking innovation with Temenos’ latest version of banking platform powered by AWSon February 22, 2024 at 5:00 pm
Vietnam International Bank (VIB) is delighted to announce the implementation of the Temenos Core Banking solution on cloud this week in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and ITSS.
- Scientific Systems Develops Non-GPS Navigation for GPS-Denied Environmentson February 21, 2024 at 7:58 am
Scientific Systems has multiple efforts underway to integrate ImageNav onto GPS-guided munitions and UASs, enabling them to operate in GPS-denied environments. A recent live weapon drop test ...
- Insights Into Challenges And Opportunities Of Mobile Digital X-ray System Marketon February 20, 2024 at 10:46 pm
Regional Market Analysis: A major section of the report focuses on the regional analysis. The report offers detailed insights into regions including North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, ...
- Topcon Offers Layout Navigator with HP SitePrinton February 20, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Topcon Positioning Systems has announced its U.S.-based Topcon ... HP SitePrint is an autonomous robotic unit that prints digital site layout plans directly onto the floor of a building project.
- Digital Textile Printing Market Set for Impressive Growth: Anticipated Surge at 12.1% CAGR from 2024 to 2034on February 18, 2024 at 8:18 pm
By the year 2024, the digital textile printing market is expected to achieve a valuation of US$ 2,989.6 million. A substantial growth trajectory is anticipated, with the market projected to expand ...
- Analyst Issues Sell Rating on EPAM Systems Citing Limited Growth Prospects and Margin Challengeson February 16, 2024 at 4:16 am
James Faucette, an analyst from Morgan Stanley, maintained the Sell rating on Epam Systems (EPAM – Research Report). The associated price ...
- Maveric Systems Welcomes Anil Sachdev and N S Parthasarathy as Non-Executive, Independent Directors to Its Boardon February 15, 2024 at 4:00 am
I look forward to contributing to Maverics journey of creating a global impact through its niche positioning. N S Parthasarathy shared his thoughts, saying, Joining Maveric Systems Board presents an ...
via Bing News