Google has said it is testing a “smart contact lens” that can help measure glucose levels in tears.
It uses a “tiny” wireless chip and a “miniaturised” glucose sensor embedded between two layers of lens material.
The firm said it is also working on integrating tiny LED lights that could light up to indicate that glucose levels have crossed certain thresholds.
But it added that “a lot more work” needed to be done to get the technology ready for everyday use.
“It’s still early days for this technology, but we’ve completed multiple clinical research studies which are helping to refine our prototype,” the firm said in a blogpost.
“We hope this could someday lead to a new way for people with diabetes to manage their disease.”
Many global firms have been looking to expand in the wearable technology sector – seen by many as a key growth area in the coming years.
Various estimates have said the sector is expected to grow by between $10bn and $50bn (£6bn and £31bn) in the next five years.
Within the sector, many firms have been looking specifically at technology targeted at healthcare.
Google’s latest foray with the smart contact lens is aimed at a sector where consumer demand for such devices is expected to grow.
According to the International Diabetes Federation, one in ten people across the world’s population are forecast to have diabetes by 2035.
People suffering from the condition need to monitor their glucose levels regularly as sudden spikes or drops are dangerous. At present, the majority of them do so by testing drops of blood.
Google said it was testing a prototype of the lens that could “generate a reading once per second”.
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart contact lens
- OnePlus Nord 2 launching in India on July 22; know specs, price and what's new in this upcoming smartphoneon July 9, 2021 at 3:50 am
The AI advanced chipset will result in better Camera quality in terms of optimal utilisation of given lenses With this OnePlus Nord 2 will also bear a seamless gaming experience as well as a better re ...
- Qualcomm's Smartphone for Snapdragon Insiders is a $1,500 superphoneon July 8, 2021 at 8:00 am
The plainly named Smartphone for Snapdragon Insiders made its debut today (July 8), boasting a Snapdragon 888 system-on-chip, extensive 5G connectivity, and the kinds of experienc ...
- Smart Technology is not making us stupid: Behavioral expertson July 8, 2021 at 7:52 am
Smart technology actually enhances our cognitive abilities and enable us to accomplish complex tasks, according to a new study. TheHealthSite.com ...
- Vivo smartphone patent includes flying camera droneon July 7, 2021 at 4:11 am
How much further can the smartphone industry go in differentiating devices with camera features? I think Vivo is approaching the limit with its patented smartphone packing a flying camera drone.
- Xiaomi Mi Fold Foldable Smartphone Documentation Hint At An Unique Inward Folding Designon July 6, 2021 at 11:05 pm
Xiaomi Mi Fold foldable smartphone concept has revealed a slew of interesting details. Xiaomi has filed for a patent that suggests the company is working on a foldable smartphone that transforms into ...
- 'Apple Glass' could have movable display and use Fresnel lenseson July 6, 2021 at 7:50 am
Apple's AR headset or "Apple Glass" device may use a movable display to compensate for motion blur, while fresnel lenses could help keep the weight of the headset down for users.
- Razer Anzu Smart Glasses Review | Smart Enough For The Price Tag?on July 5, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Then I sat down and reviewed the Razer Anzu and now I understand their incredible potential. With Bluetooth capability, microphone, and anti-blue light protection, Razer’s newest foray into the far ...
- This outrageously powerful microscope is made of LEGOs and smartphone lenseson July 4, 2021 at 9:00 am
Designed by a German biophysicist, this powerful Lego-based microscope is meant to be cheap and accessible enough for anyone to build, regardless of budget ...
- Sony unveils flagship Xperia 1 III smartphone: triple cameras, 4 focal lengths, a variable telephoto lens, dual PDAF sensor & moreon July 1, 2021 at 10:30 am
Sony today announced pricing and availability for its all-new flagship consumer-focused smartphone, the Xperia 1 III. Initially unveiled back in April, the Sony Xperia 1 III includes several new ...
- Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra smartphone sale in India SOON - Check price, specifications, features and moreon June 30, 2021 at 4:23 am
After launching the Mi 11 Ultra smartphone in India with the world's first triple pro-grade camera set up (50MP+48MP+48MP) in April, the smartphone company has announced that Mi 11 Ultra will be ...
via Bing News