A new catalytic converter that could cut fuel consumption and manufacturing costs has been designed by a scientist from Imperial College London.
A catalytic converter is the component in a vehicle’s exhaust system that eliminates some harmful emissions. Tests suggest that the new prototype could reduce fuel consumption in a standard vehicle by up to three per cent. It could also deliver environmental benefits by reducing the amount of CO that each vehicle emits.
The new design uses up to 80 per cent less rare metal, a development that could significantly reduce costs for vehicle manufacturers. Catalytic converters are expensive to manufacture because they use precious metals such as platinum to eliminate emissions. These metals currently account for up to 60 to 70 per cent of the cost of the component.
The prototype is also predicted to perform better than existing models because the rare metal degrades less over the lifetime of the component. Laboratory tests suggest that it deteriorates by only four per cent over a distance of 100,000 kilometres, compared to 35 per cent for a standard catalytic converter.
Dr Kingsbury says: “Catalytic converters are the most important component in a vehicle for controlling exhaust emissions. Yet their design has not changed since they were first developed in the 1940s. The prototype I have developed could make cars cheaper to run because they use less fuel. It could potentially help manufacturers to reduce their costs. Drivers could also be a major beneficiary of this device, which could save on fuel costs and ultimately lead to reduced CO emissions.”
The Latest on: Catalytic converter
via Google News
The Latest on: Catalytic converter
- Commercial Aircraft Catalytic Ozone Converter Market Is Likely to Experience a Tremendous Growth by 2030on May 23, 2022 at 10:34 am
The Global Commercial Aircraft Catalytic Ozone Converter Market Report offers a systematic market overview. This study focused on the industry’s ...
- Man arrested, charged after leading deputies on pursuit following catalytic converter theft in N. Harris County, Pct. 4 sayson May 23, 2022 at 10:09 am
A man has been arrested and charged after deputies with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office said he allegedly stole catalytic converters from several vehicles and led them on a chase on ...
- Police searching for catalytic converter thief in Tioga Countyon May 23, 2022 at 9:12 am
Pennsylvania State Police say they are looking for a suspect who stole a catalytic converter on Jennings Road in Jackson Township. State Troopers ...
- How fast will new CT law work to stop rash of catalytic converter thefts?on May 23, 2022 at 7:47 am
After a witness to a brazen daytime theft in Milford was attacked last week, Connecticut lawmakers and insurers are counting on a newly signed law to quickly make stealing catalytic converters less ...
- There's an Army of Thieves Coming for Your Catalytic Converteron May 23, 2022 at 6:45 am
There, they found their mark: almost 200 catalytic converters, a jagged tangle of rusty parts adorned with hacksaw marks where each converter had been cut from its former vehicle. It seemed the ...
- Catalytic converters: What are they and why are they stolen?on May 22, 2022 at 10:57 pm
Did you know that the catalytic converter on your car contains three precious metals? It is these metals that make them a valuable item.
- Miami Valley mechanic breaks down catalytic converters theftson May 21, 2022 at 7:25 pm
Greg McAlpine knows firsthand what it is like to deal with the headache of having a catalytic converter stolen.
- Branford PD: Several catalytic converters stolen across town overnighton May 21, 2022 at 11:32 am
A number of catalytic converters were stolen across the community Friday into Saturday, according to police. Police Chief Jon Mulhern said in an email that there had been several of the thefts during ...
- Catalytic converter thefts on the rise in Eugene and nationwideon May 21, 2022 at 6:00 am
Catalytic converters function by both reducing engine noise and preventing harmful emissions.They aren’t cheap – replacing one can cost up to $3,000.
- Catalytic Converters Recovered From Crashon May 20, 2022 at 11:21 am
Watch "chicago police charges pending crash catalytic converter tara molina am", a video on CBSNews.com. View more videos and watch CBS News, a live news stream featuring original CBS News reporting.
via Bing News