A new catalytic converter that could cut fuel consumption and manufacturing costs has been designed by a scientist from Imperial College London.
A catalytic converter is the component in a vehicle’s exhaust system that eliminates some harmful emissions. Tests suggest that the new prototype could reduce fuel consumption in a standard vehicle by up to three per cent. It could also deliver environmental benefits by reducing the amount of CO that each vehicle emits.
The new design uses up to 80 per cent less rare metal, a development that could significantly reduce costs for vehicle manufacturers. Catalytic converters are expensive to manufacture because they use precious metals such as platinum to eliminate emissions. These metals currently account for up to 60 to 70 per cent of the cost of the component.
The prototype is also predicted to perform better than existing models because the rare metal degrades less over the lifetime of the component. Laboratory tests suggest that it deteriorates by only four per cent over a distance of 100,000 kilometres, compared to 35 per cent for a standard catalytic converter.
Dr Kingsbury says: “Catalytic converters are the most important component in a vehicle for controlling exhaust emissions. Yet their design has not changed since they were first developed in the 1940s. The prototype I have developed could make cars cheaper to run because they use less fuel. It could potentially help manufacturers to reduce their costs. Drivers could also be a major beneficiary of this device, which could save on fuel costs and ultimately lead to reduced CO emissions.”
The Latest on: Catalytic converter
via Google News
The Latest on: Catalytic converter
- Catalytic converter stolen from overnight guest in Dearborn Heightson March 6, 2021 at 4:12 am
A catalytic converter was stolen overnight from a 2020 GMC Sierra pickup parked in a driveway in the 6800 block of Heyden Street in Dearborn Heights while a 38-year-old South ...
- Catalytic converter thefts surge about 1000 percent in Seattleon March 5, 2021 at 11:30 pm
A big problem in Western Washington is getting worse – the theft of catalytic converters. It’s something impacting every community with thieves hitting churches, senior centers, apartment buildings ...
- Thieves are swiping catalytic converters from cars, Irving police warn, following a national trendon March 5, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Talesa Alexander started her Ford Explorer one February morning and knew immediately something was wrong. Her usually quiet car roared so loudly ...
- Thieves targeting catalytic converters for metals worth more than goldon March 5, 2021 at 5:25 pm
It might start with a sawing noise or people pulling up to your parked car. Before you know it, thieves have taken off with your catalytic converter.
- Heist of 83 catalytic converters worth $50,000 foiled by Lexington sheriff’s deputieson March 5, 2021 at 12:44 pm
A catalytic converter crime wave involving thefts of the emissions-control devices from cars, pickup trucks and SUVs is sweeping the nation and South Carolina.
- 'Never seen numbers this high': Eastern Iowa seeing an uptick in catalytic converter thefts. Here's why.on March 5, 2021 at 4:02 am
Iowa City-area residents have filed dozens of reports of stolen catalytic converters in the last year. Here's why thiefs are after them: ...
- A precious metal that costs 15 times more than gold is driving a surge in thefts of catalytic converterson March 4, 2021 at 4:33 pm
The thieves were after a precious metal — tucked into almost all American vehicles — in such demand that it costs 15 times the price of gold. “We’ve had 60 or 70 in just our shop alone if that gives ...
- Catalytic converter thieves target Valley hybrid cars for more cashon March 4, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Officials say catalytic converters from Toyota Priuses are being specifically targeted by thieves as they sell for $2,000 apiece, making them an easy and quick profit.
- Global Automotive Catalytic Converters Market 2021 Supply Chain Analysis, Recent Developments and Competitive Landscape by 2031on March 4, 2021 at 11:09 am
The latest research report provides a complete assessment of the Global Automotive Catalytic Converters market ...
- Catalytic converters stolenon March 3, 2021 at 11:49 pm
Catalytic converters, part of a vehicle's exhaust system, contain various valuable metals, including platinum. They are then sold to scrap metal dealers who can flip the metal for a profit. COLUMBIA — ...
via Bing News