In an exciting discovery, a team of international scientists has uncovered new regions of DNA involved in rheumatoid arthritis, identifying genes which are known to be the targets of already approved chemotherapy drugs.
University of Queensland Diamantina Institute director Matthew Brown, who was involved in the research, said it paved the way for human trials of new treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, a painful, debilitating condition caused by immune system dysfunction.
Professor Brown said the study, to be published in the prestigious journal Nature , showed how genetic research could be used to find potential new treatments for diseases among existing drugs, getting medications to patients earlier.
“It short-cuts by many years the time taken between the genetic research and clinical trials,” he said. “For existing drugs, there’s no toxicology testing required, no extra studies needed to look at safety before you can think about doing trials in humans because they’ve already been done.
“It takes 10 years off the process of developing drugs and greatly reduces the cost.”
Professor Brown said genetics had made huge inroads into finding the causes of common diseases in the past decade.
“This study shows one way forward that will turn those discoveries much more rapidly into treatments, which is what we all strive for in research,” he said.
The researchers identified 48 new genes as the most likely culprits in the development of rheumatoid arthritis, nearly doubling the number known to be involved.
About 65 per cent of a person’s risk for the disease is believed to be genetic, with environmental factors also implicated. For example, smoking is a known trigger in genetically susceptible people.
It affects about one in 100 people and is more common in women, than men.
The Latest on: Rheumatoid arthritis
via Google News
The Latest on: Rheumatoid arthritis
- Doctors Group Says Plant-Based Diet Could Be Prescription for Arthritis Painon October 13, 2021 at 11:51 am
Josh Cullimore, MD, director of preventive medicine at the Physicians Committee, has also recently reviewed research, described below, showing that eating more fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans, ...
- Heart Failure in RA: Inflammation Matterson October 13, 2021 at 11:02 am
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who had high levels of inflammation at baseline were at increased risk for later heart failure, a large cohort study found. After adjustment for demographics, ...
- How Arthritis Patients Fight Pain When They’re Having a Flareon October 13, 2021 at 9:00 am
"Hearst Magazines and Yahoo may earn commission or revenue on some items through the links below." When you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) —an autoimmune disease that causes joint pain, stiffness, ...
- An experimental vaccine against rheumatoid arthritis developed by scientistson October 12, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Researchers at The University of Toledo have developed an experimental vaccine that shows significant promise in preventing rheumatoid arthritis, a painful autoimmune disease that cannot ...
- My Work Was Sidelined By Rheumatoid Arthritis—So I Reimagined My Careeron October 12, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Kat Elton’s RA both inspired her to become an occupational therapist and forced her to quit. Here’s how she learned to embrace a job she’s better able to manage with her disease.
- Almost 10 lakh people in India suffer from rheumatoid arthritis; disease not restricted to the older generationon October 12, 2021 at 5:54 am
Most people who are affected by rheumatoid arthritis belong to the younger age group — between 20 and 40 years. It is also more among women ...
- World Arthritis Day 2021: Here's How You Should Manage Rheumatoid Arthritis the Right Wayon October 11, 2021 at 10:22 pm
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a chronic progressive inflammatory disorder of the joints, which mostly affects the elderly. Here are some expert tips to manage the problem the right way! Understanding and ...
- Connectivity to run through the Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Market at a CAGR of 6% from 2021 to 2031on October 11, 2021 at 2:16 am
The global rheumatoid arthritis treatment market is estimated to be valued at US 40 5 Bn in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of around 6 over the forecast period 2021 2031 Rising occurrence of ...
- World Arthritis Day 2021: The Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression Explainedon October 10, 2021 at 10:27 pm
If you have rheumatoid arthritis, you are at risk of depression and other mental illnesses. Read what the doctor has to say on this.
- Is a vaccine for rheumatoid arthritis possible?on October 9, 2021 at 1:00 am
A study in rats identifies a protein that may help design a vaccine against rheumatoid arthritis. More research is necessary, but the results are encouraging.
via Bing News